Avante Williams

First of all he's not elite at all, his coverage skills are subpar, he has good straight line speed but his football intangibles are nonexistent. Go watch him in drills at the opening, he was getting spun around like a turnstile in one on one coverage.

He's an athlete that happens to play Safety, not a pure Safety. Has very low instincts & takes lots of false steps in covering downfield. He can run & is a natural athlete, but he really doesn't know what he's doing at DB, I honestly think he would be better off as a RB.

As far as his recruitment, he's been out on Miami since he decommitted from us in the first place, he ain't coming & hasn't been since last year. The staff already moved on to other prospects anyway.

He's going to UF if they want him, UGA was showing interest a few months ago but they've cooled on him.

Advertisement
so linguard is gonna sit out another season lol? doubt it. the kid said he wasnt transferring on that video. until proven otherwise by his own words, i have no reason to doubt it
hey i hope he doesnt. i wanna see what the kid can do here. i hope im wrong TBH

Advertisement
First of all he's not elite at all, his coverage skills are subpar, he has good straight line speed but his football intangibles are nonexistent. Go watch him in drills at the opening, he was getting spun around like a turnstile in one on one coverage.

He's an athlete that happens to play Safety, not a pure Safety. Has very low instincts & takes lots of false steps in covering downfield. He can run & is a natural athlete, but he really doesn't know what he's doing at DB, I honestly think he would be better off as a RB.

As far as his recruitment, he's been out on Miami since he decommitted from us in the first place, he ain't coming & hasn't been since last year. The staff already moved on to other prospects anyway.

He's going to UF if they want him, UGA was showing interest a few months ago but they've cooled on him.
all those things can be fixed with coaching

Advertisement
If we're taking headcases, Francois is the one I want all day, every day. That kid can be special if he is coachable. Agree that Tennison was also (much) more talented. Also K Lawrence. He committed to Tennessee, and I was hoping he'd be in play with their terrible performance in the early part of the season. But like us, they've been on a 3-0 run and should close out with 2 more wins. So that ship has sailed.

Once Bandy graduates in 2020, I expect Blades and Couch to lead our CB unit. Someone pointed out to me the impressive recovery speed that Williams had in one of the chunk plays UL got on us last game. He could be a good one. Clarke has all the raw materials of a talent, too. Not so sure about Ivey yet.

Regardless, 4-5 kids are just not enough. We need 2 more CBs in this class, at least one of whom should be coming from the portal so we have enough guys ready to go day 1 for both 2020 and 20201.

Advertisement

I never was a fan after watching his camp film. He's sort of a tweener type. I thought he would be a CB but didnt look all that hot there in the camp circuit. He's not a real big safety but has ability there.

I was just good off of him. Maybe Oregon is a good fit for him. I would take Francois back in the class over him...and Balom basically ate his spot

Advertisement
Nah they can't, you can't teach instincts & Football IQ, you either have it or you don't.
So football IQ can’t be taught? Lol what? Instincts come from knowing the game and willingness to be physical and react especially on defense ...from what I’ve seen from him is a kid who is a plus athletes and is definitely willing to be physical..all that technical, footwork, play recognition can certainly be taught..none of these HS players are finished products technically

So football IQ can’t be taught? Lol what? Instincts come from knowing the game and willingness to be physical and react especially on defense ...from what I’ve seen from him is a kid who is a plus athletes and is definitely willing to be physical..all that technical, footwork, play recognition can certainly be taught..none of these HS players are finished products technically

There’s football IQ and then there’s instincts, big difference.

There’s football IQ and then there’s instincts, big difference.
Nah if you have no football IQ you can’t have instincts. Especially at the college or pro level when the athletic disparity levels get smaller and smaller..technique and football IQ ties into instincts..as far as Avante Williams you take a kid with that athletic profile and willingness to hit in a heartbeat over a kid who is a average to below average athlete at the position but is well coached..greg is a perfect example of this

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back