Avantae Williams discusses Miami, Oregon, and future visits

Advertisement
2020 4-star Oregon DB commit Avantae Williams was out at the Opening Finals earlier this month, but sat out of the competition to rest his body up for his final year of high school.

“I didn’t get a chance to compete. I really did want to so bad, but I’m resting up, my body has a lot of soreness, some nicks,” Williams said. “I still wanted to come out here and experience everything, though. My whole team’s been trying to get me to play, they’ve been saying ‘C’mon man, we need you!’, but I need to rest up and be ready for the season.”

As a former UM commit, Williams has been on the Miami campus many times, but got one more chance to experience the program when he visited UM for Paradise Camp just before the dead period.

“I already know a lot about Miami, so it was just about going there to see the coaches and compete,” Williams said. “I just love that savage mentality that Miami has.”

Safeties coach Ephraim Banda has kept UM in the game for the Deland star and has continued to develop his relationship with Williams that goes back years at this point.

“We’re close, I’ve known Banda since I was in middle school,” Williams said. “He tells me their defense is relentless. He sees me playing like a rover and a field safety.”

Despite a great visit to Miami that weekend, Williams says he maintains his Oregon commitment that has been in place since December. He committed to the Ducks sight unseen, but got his first chance to experience Eugene back in April for Oregon’s spring game.

"Making the visit out to Oregon, I was originally supposed to bring some family with me, but it ended up being too far for them,” Williams said. “It went good, I love the coaches’ energy out there, coach Donte (Williams) and coach (Mario) Cristobal. I have a great relationship with those guys.”

With Eugene, Oregon over 3,000 miles from Deland, Florida, Williams does admit that distance is becoming a factor when discussing Oregon with his family.

“My family does tell me a lot that it’s far, but I don’t let it bother me too much,” Williams said. “Having a daughter like I do can complicate things. They just want what is best for me.”

Although his commitment to the Ducks is still intact, Williams says that won’t stop him from continuing to take visits so he can be 100% sure of his decision.

“I’m going to take some more visits, the plan is still to go back to Miami in the fall for an official,” Williams said. “Florida, Georgia, and LSU recruit me pretty hard too and want me to visit. I’m just about seeing new things, learning as much as I can.”

While Williams’ current plan is to sign with Oregon in December, he says he is open to moving back to February if he is still uncertain of his destination.

“Honestly, I’m looking for a place that has the best coaching I can possibly have," Williams said. “When I decide who is the best fit for me and can help me further my career, I’ll shut everything down. In the end, I have to do what’s best for me.”

Williams most recently recorded a 4.52 40 time, a 4.25 shuttle, and a 36.20 vertical leap at the Opening Orlando regional in February.

I heard through the grapevine he is transferring to a inner city Power House.

Don’t waste time with this kid. He’s not good

All he does is run straight at ball carriers. Can’t play in space at all

Advertisement
Advertisement
Oregon must be dropping a nice bag, imagine moving 3k miles away from your kid sight unseen. **** wreaks

Pure speculation on my part, but I would expect Cristobal is holding out the promise of future benefits, not actually dropping bags at this point. He has super strong contacts here. Most likely told him that he and his family would be taken care of, and he needed to commit to start the ball rolling on lining up booster support to help fund his visits and build a nice little landing package for him.

Them getting Eaford, Dorlus (another kid from Deerfield) and the IMG kid Delgado in lat year's class certainly makes it easier for Cristobal to recruit FL.

But he's the #1 ranked Safety in the 2020 class & a 4-star...

I thought the only thing that matters was the ratings?????? Are you saying he's not good despite his ranking???

I was clear about what I said. Not sure why you need clarification.

This entire board needs a remedial course in necessary and sufficient conditions.

Advertisement
I was just asking why this 4-star player you don't think is good...

If he's a 4-star & ranked #1 he must be good right? So, I wanna know why you disagree with his rating?
So then stars don't matter?

Stars matter a lot. Stars are a necessary but not sufficient condition. Sorry i don’t have time to educate you all in basic logic.

Advertisement
Stars matter a lot. Stars are a necessary but not sufficient condition. Sorry i don’t have time to educate you all in basic logic.
Hey you're the genius man, I ask you because I need you to walk me through all this stuff I don't understand about recruiting & the rating system.

Manny doesn't have a lot of time to get this right, so I'm just trying to glean as much information as I can from an expert such as yourself.

Best coaching possible? Guess he wont come here.

Thanks Banda.
Like Oregon's (his current committed team) coaches are better. LSU has the better shot in the dark in that stance.
I'm very familiar with DeLand so if he wants to go to a big city Miami is all but a wrap.

Geo
I agree all the way. I think it ends up being UGA due to it being relatively close as well as the perks they offer.

UF would’ve been my guess but I think they have a terrible year.
Georgia won with cmr vuys let's see what he does this year.

I say he stays in state.. he probably doesn't want to be too far away from his daughter

Or maybe he wants to get as far away as possible so that he can live his life as a young man without being tied down by a child?

Not saying it’s right, but there’s no way in the world that at least some part of him isn’t thinking that. For that reason, plus bags, he’s not coming to Miami. If he really wanted to stay near his daughter, he wouldn’t really be considering anywhere but Miami. Just my guess/opinion, no judgment involved.

Advertisement
Back