Avantae out for the year.

I'm not a doctor so I'm serious when asking this.

What is an example of a muscle type injury that would require a year off? I know hamstrings can linger, but not a year.
There are tendon injuries where playing through can risk rupture vs allowing time for actual healing.

Advertisement
Weren't there rumblings of a neck or shoulder issue with him a while back?

Does anyone else remember this?

Was "worrisome" the nerd *** Barry's word, or did that word emanate from Manny's lispy lips? That's a pretty significant thing to know. Looks like Barry is backtracking now, so it was probably his interpretation.
Looks like it was Barry being Barry. Here's the actual quote out there from Manny earlier today:

"During Avantae's preseason exam he presented some chronic and lingering medical issues that our medical staff feels we need to let heal, let him strengthen this fall, and we will re-evaluate him come January in the spring time so Avantae will not compete for us this fall."

"My disappointment is for Avantae because he loves football. He's been an amazing football from the first time he ever put on a helmet and it's just difficult for him to have the season taken away from him. He would do anything to be out there with his guys. We all feel for him, but we know that we'll do what we can get in a semester, get him with [(strength)] coach [(David)] Feeley and do everything we can to get him right."

Looks like it was Barry being Barry. Here's the actual quote out there from Manny earlier today:

"During Avantae's preseason exam he presented some chronic and lingering medical issues that our medical staff feels we need to let heal, let him strengthen this fall, and we will re-evaluate him come January in the spring time so Avantae will not compete for us this fall."

"My disappointment is for Avantae because he loves football. He's been an amazing football from the first time he ever put on a helmet and it's just difficult for him to have the season taken away from him. He would do anything to be out there with his guys. We all feel for him, but we know that we'll do what we can get in a semester, get him with [(strength)] coach [(David)] Feeley and do everything we can to get him right."
Another case where the devil's in the details when paraphrasing.

Sounds like it’s more along the lines of diabetes, heart condition, or asthma than ligament, bone, or muscular.
Happy the UM docs were able to find it and diagnose it.

Advertisement
I'm not a doctor so I'm serious when asking this.

What is an example of a muscle type injury that would require a year off? I know hamstrings can linger, but not a year.
I was thinking since they didn't announce a needed surgery then it's doubtful anything was torn so he either had a bad muscle pull, strain, etc that never healed adequately. Of course I'm just guessing. But maybe the med staff found out he had a recent concussion, the effects of a concussion could linger for awhile.

He should just follow the current methodology - use COVID as a reason to opt out for the next 2 years and declare for the draft. Who needs film these days?

Thanks, dude. As suspected, the nerd strikes again. "Chronic" and "lingering" are way the fck different than "worrisome." Stupid *** irresponsible motherfcker. Someone whose business is words should know better.

Advertisement
Reading the tea leaves it sounds like he gave it a go at practice but the lingering injury held him back. Training staff knew of injury beforehand and allowed him to work through it. Doubt it was newly discovered. This is important because if the injury was serious, staff would not have allowed him to practice through it and would have shut him down from the start.

Advertisement
Worrisome is kind of ambiguous but Barry shouldn't be blamed for fans making the leap that this was somehow life-threatening.

Advertisement
I've worked alongside Barry before when I covered the team while I was a student at UM. He's honestly one of the most unprofessional people I've come across in any line of work I've been in. He's completely obsessed with breaking news first and then backtracking/clarifying later.

He positions himself as an expert in all local sports yet has literally zero sources and just positions PFF stats or CaneSport articles as his 'inside information'. I'd love to have the same cushy job for the length of time he's had without fear of being replaced by someone who is actually good at their jobs, but that's the Herald for you.

Yep.

Even though I can't stand him, LeBatard was the one with the sources at El Herald.

Miami never releases exactly what the injury/issue is with the player. So as fans, all we do is guess what it could be, overthink it, etc. Still don’t know exactly what Brevin Jordan’s injury was, Navaughn Donaldson, Bubba Bolden, Lorenzo Lingard (when he was here).

Upper extremity.

get well Tae! Where is this safety depth everyone is talking about why he wouldn’t crack the rotation this year. Other than Bolden and Hall There’s a huge drop off

Advertisement
Back