Austin-Cave breaks down UM commitment, plans to enroll early

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
*This is the article version of Tirek Austin-Cave's podcast interview from this week. If you'd like to listen to the full audio, click here.

Last week, the Hurricanes landed their 21st commitment of the 2020 class when Camden (NJ) 3-star LB Tirek Austin-Cave pulled the trigger for UM on the July 4th holiday. It was a big win for the UM coaching staff, as they had Austin-Cave high on their board for a few months now.

“I had a great feeling about it ever since they offered me,” Austin-Cave said of UM. “It was an absolute blessing and I just took it from there to my advantage, I’m just glad they offered me when they did.

“It felt good to get the process over with. It’s been a long, stressful - but in a good way - type of process for me. Just being able to pull the trigger on Miami was great. I just feel like it’s a good school for me, overall academically and from a football point of view.”

Austin-Cave is now the third linebacker in Category20 and says he is confident the environment at UM is a place that will breed success.

“(Miami is) somewhere I can play football at a high level and play in the ACC - that’s a conference I always wanted to play in growing up, so being able to play for a school like Miami is great,” Austin-Cave said. “From the coaching staff point of view, just being able to play for a guy like coach Manny that loves the game, just being around him on a daily basis, that was probably one of the biggest influences in this whole process locking me in on Miami.”

Austin-Cave made his first trip down to UM back in June for an official visit, and he felt the trip was what ultimately convinced him that Miami was the school for him.

“After everything was about done on Sunday, I gave my parents that look like, ‘This is where I need to be’,” Austin-Cave said. “After I took my other two officials, I just finally locked on Miami. I felt it was time to get this recruiting process over with, this is the school where I want to be.”

The trip was a family affair for Austin-Cave, who brought along both his parents on the visit. It’s clear the Hurricanes hammered home the academic benefits of being a private school, and that resonated with Austin-Cave and his family.

“My parents are more academic-based, and Miami’s a private school, so they love that. It’s a small school, somewhere where I can get my work done, not too many students in the classroom,” Austin-Cave said. “That just really set things apart for my parents, just being able to have a close connection with my teachers, being able to go to them if I ever need anything. Of course, the football team is always going to get help, but it’s good to have that connection with your teachers because you never know when you could need them in the near future. That’s probably the biggest thing my parents influenced me on. I could really sense that it was a great school.”

Aside from Miami, Austin-Cave took other official visits to West Virginia and Minnesota, and also heavily considered Syracuse as a school close to home. However, those other programs could not overcome the coaching advantage that Austin-Cave felt he’d have being at Miami.

“One thing that set Miami apart from the other schools was the coaching staff. Coach (Jon) Patke and coach (Blake) Baker, I can just see myself being around those guys on a daily basis and getting better,” Austin-Cave said. “I feel like they can get the best out of me as a football player and as a young man. That’s what I wanted out of this whole process, going to a school that I could feel like could get the most out of me as a player.

“Also the connection with my parents when I went down there. I can just tell they really care about family and football. Between coach Patke and coach Baker, it was two guys I wanted to play for these upcoming years, so I had to lock in and make that decision.”

So, what kind of player is Miami getting with Austin-Cave?

“I feel like their getting a very aggressive, very focused, very determined young man coming into their defense,” Austin-Cave said. “I pick up on defenses quick, whatever the coaches tell me to do or wherever they need me to play, I play it at a high level and I play with a lot of ambition. That’s what I would bring to the table playing defense for the Miami Hurricanes.”

The Miami staff sees the 6-1 213 pound prospect filling a similar role in the defense as what Michael Picnkney brings. In addition, Austin-Cave is taking summer classes right now and is on track to graduate early and enroll for spring practice.

“The coaches see me playing WILL backer. That’s a position I’m very comfortable playing, being able to use my athletic ability to make some plays,” Austin-Cave said. “Also, they told me by the time I get there in January and put some time in in the weight room, they should be able to put an easy 20 pounds on me. Right now, I’m currently 213. I’ll put some time in when I get there in January, then I can see myself playing WILL and making plays from there.”

As the Canes have all three linebacker starters graduating, as well as their top backup, there is sure to be plenty of playing time available for Austin-Cave and his 2020 classmates at LB when they hit campus. The Camden high product will certainly have a leg up on the competition for reps by coming in early and participating in spring ball.

“I’m coming in to put in work, just getting better every day,” Austin-Cave said of his expectations for his first year. “Just putting time in the weight room, getting mental reps and also physical reps as well. I’m coming in with the mindset to do some great things for the team. I’m a team guy, so whatever they need me to play, I’ll play at a high level.”

With the recruiting process finally over with for Austin-Cave, he can now focus on getting to know his future classmates, something he’s already gotten a head-start on doing.

“I talk to a few guys occasionally from the commitments, like Corey Flagg and Romello Height,” Austin-Cave said. “I’ve been talking to those guys and I’m looking forward to getting in and getting some work with those guys, lead Miami’s defense in the near future. I feel like we all could do some great things on the defensive side of the ball, so I feel like we got some great things coming for UM.”

The Canes’ coaching staff has been hard at work adding quality talent to the 2020 class, and Austin-Cave says that he sees Manny Diaz’ first full recruiting class as being hungry and ready to make waves at UM.

“About the Category20 class, I feel like we got some great guys coming in - some great guys and some great people,” Austin-Cave said. “I just feel like we can come in and do some great things, I feel like this class right here is going to be special in the years to come. I feel like this class is going to get Miami back to where it needs to be - winning ACC Championships, playing for the College Football Playoffs, and playing for national championships. So I feel like this class right here can get a lot of things done in the near future.”

Austin-Cave recorded a 4.76 in the 40, a 4.53 shuttle time, and a 33.90 inch vertical at the Opening New Jersey Regional back in April. As a junior in 2018 for Camden, he totaled a whopping 162 tackles, 18 TFL, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, and 3 PBU's, so it’s fair to say he’s a highly productive linebacker that plays with energy and is all over the field.

“Training for this offseason, I’ve been trying to get my strength up, just a lot of explosion, just getting ready,” Austin-Cave said. “This upcoming year, I’ll be playing WILL linebacker again for my high school, and that’s a position I’m very comfortable playing. I’ll be able to get back to that and show I can play WILL at a high level.

“Also, it’s been 43 years since my team won a championship, so I feel this upcoming year I can help lead my team to a potential championship run. That’s one of main focuses, and also to get better every day, just try and find a way to get better. That’s one of my main things, to just try and be better than I was yesterday.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
*This is the article version of Tirek Austin-Cave's podcast interview from this week. If you'd like to listen to the full audio, click here.

Last week, the Hurricanes landed their 21st commitment of the 2020 class when Camden (NJ) 3-star LB Tirek Austin-Cave pulled the trigger for UM on the July 4th holiday. It was a big win for the UM coaching staff, as they had Austin-Cave high on their board for a few months now.

“I had a great feeling about it ever since they offered me,” Austin-Cave said of UM. “It was an absolute blessing and I just took it from there to my advantage, I’m just glad they offered me when they did.

“It felt good to get the process over with. It’s been a long, stressful - but in a good way - type of process for me. Just being able to pull the trigger on Miami was great. I just feel like it’s a good school for me, overall academically and from a football point of view.”

Austin-Cave is now the third linebacker in Category20 and says he is confident the environment at UM is a place that will breed success.

“(Miami is) somewhere I can play football at a high level and play in the ACC - that’s a conference I always wanted to play in growing up, so being able to play for a school like Miami is great,” Austin-Cave said. “From the coaching staff point of view, just being able to play for a guy like coach Manny that loves the game, just being around him on a daily basis, that was probably one of the biggest influences in this whole process locking me in on Miami.”

Austin-Cave made his first trip down to UM back in June for an official visit, and he felt the trip was what ultimately convinced him that Miami was the school for him.

“After everything was about done on Sunday, I gave my parents that look like, ‘This is where I need to be’,” Austin-Cave said. “After I took my other two officials, I just finally locked on Miami. I felt it was time to get this recruiting process over with, this is the school where I want to be.”

The trip was a family affair for Austin-Cave, who brought along both his parents on the visit. It’s clear the Hurricanes hammered home the academic benefits of being a private school, and that resonated with Austin-Cave and his family.

“My parents are more academic-based, and Miami’s a private school, so they love that. It’s a small school, somewhere where I can get my work done, not too many students in the classroom,” Austin-Cave said. “That just really set things apart for my parents, just being able to have a close connection with my teachers, being able to go to them if I ever need anything. Of course, the football team is always going to get help, but it’s good to have that connection with your teachers because you never know when you could need them in the near future. That’s probably the biggest thing my parents influenced me on. I could really sense that it was a great school.”

Aside from Miami, Austin-Cave took other official visits to West Virginia and Minnesota, and also heavily considered Syracuse as a school close to home. However, those other programs could not overcome the coaching advantage that Austin-Cave felt he’d have being at Miami.

“One thing that set Miami apart from the other schools was the coaching staff. Coach (Jon) Patke and coach (Blake) Baker, I can just see myself being around those guys on a daily basis and getting better,” Austin-Cave said. “I feel like they can get the best out of me as a football player and as a young man. That’s what I wanted out of this whole process, going to a school that I could feel like could get the most out of me as a player.

“Also the connection with my parents when I went down there. I can just tell they really care about family and football. Between coach Patke and coach Baker, it was two guys I wanted to play for these upcoming years, so I had to lock in and make that decision.”

So, what kind of player is Miami getting with Austin-Cave?

“I feel like their getting a very aggressive, very focused, very determined young man coming into their defense,” Austin-Cave said. “I pick up on defenses quick, whatever the coaches tell me to do or wherever they need me to play, I play it at a high level and I play with a lot of ambition. That’s what I would bring to the table playing defense for the Miami Hurricanes.”

The Miami staff sees the 6-1 213 pound prospect filling a similar role in the defense as what Michael Picnkney brings. In addition, Austin-Cave is taking summer classes right now and is on track to graduate early and enroll for spring practice.

“The coaches see me playing WILL backer. That’s a position I’m very comfortable playing, being able to use my athletic ability to make some plays,” Austin-Cave said. “Also, they told me by the time I get there in January and put some time in in the weight room, they should be able to put an easy 20 pounds on me. Right now, I’m currently 213. I’ll put some time in when I get there in January, then I can see myself playing WILL and making plays from there.”

As the Canes have all three linebacker starters graduating, as well as their top backup, there is sure to be plenty of playing time available for Austin-Cave and his 2020 classmates at LB when they hit campus. The Camden high product will certainly have a leg up on the competition for reps by coming in early and participating in spring ball.

“I’m coming in to put in work, just getting better every day,” Austin-Cave said of his expectations for his first year. “Just putting time in the weight room, getting mental reps and also physical reps as well. I’m coming in with the mindset to do some great things for the team. I’m a team guy, so whatever they need me to play, I’ll play at a high level.”

With the recruiting process finally over with for Austin-Cave, he can now focus on getting to know his future classmates, something he’s already gotten a head-start on doing.

“I talk to a few guys occasionally from the commitments, like Corey Flagg and Romello Height,” Austin-Cave said. “I’ve been talking to those guys and I’m looking forward to getting in and getting some work with those guys, lead Miami’s defense in the near future. I feel like we all could do some great things on the defensive side of the ball, so I feel like we got some great things coming for UM.”

The Canes’ coaching staff has been hard at work adding quality talent to the 2020 class, and Austin-Cave says that he sees Manny Diaz’ first full recruiting class as being hungry and ready to make waves at UM.

“About the Category20 class, I feel like we got some great guys coming in - some great guys and some great people,” Austin-Cave said. “I just feel like we can come in and do some great things, I feel like this class right here is going to be special in the years to come. I feel like this class is going to get Miami back to where it needs to be - winning ACC Championships, playing for the College Football Playoffs, and playing for national championships. So I feel like this class right here can get a lot of things done in the near future.”

Austin-Cave recorded a 4.76 in the 40, a 4.53 shuttle time, and a 33.90 inch vertical at the Opening New Jersey Regional back in April. As a junior in 2018 for Camden, he totaled a whopping 162 tackles, 18 TFL, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble, and 3 PBU's, so it’s fair to say he’s a highly productive linebacker that plays with energy and is all over the field.

“Training for this offseason, I’ve been trying to get my strength up, just a lot of explosion, just getting ready,” Austin-Cave said. “This upcoming year, I’ll be playing WILL linebacker again for my high school, and that’s a position I’m very comfortable playing. I’ll be able to get back to that and show I can play WILL at a high level.

“Also, it’s been 43 years since my team won a championship, so I feel this upcoming year I can help lead my team to a potential championship run. That’s one of main focuses, and also to get better every day, just try and find a way to get better. That’s one of my main things, to just try and be better than I was yesterday.”

What a great young man! I love his attitude, as well as the way he expresses himself and outlines his perspective. I believe that he will be an excellent addition to our Category 20 class. Thank you Stefan for the excellent article.

Advertisement
One thing our committed backers have in common is they are all tackling machines at this level. Between Austin-Cave and the kid from Texas, they have a combined 7,000 tackles their junior year. I wonder if that is coincidence or if the staff is valuing proven productivity over potential and measurables. What do y'all think??

Advertisement
Yaaaaawwwwwn whoopity dippity doooo, let me know when he is a mid to high 4 star please only then is he any good, his high production and excellent speed and athleticism is irrelevant, the stars evaluation system is perfect and misses on nobody. Thus the stars dictate he is just a jag and will never amount to anything but a filler, he will never become a piece of the puzzle to beat the elite teams. All hail the mighty and all knowing star system blue chip ratio everything else is old and antiquated and not true star system!! Clearly we want to be Duke and not Clemson............

Unless he becomes at minimum a 4 star then the kid is a baller and will help us get back to the top

Advertisement
Tirek looks like he could definitely be a LB like Roquan Smith of Georgia the # 8 overall pick in 2018 who came into Georgia at slightly over 200 lbs. (4.71--40) and left at 236 with a 4.51-40 at the NFL Combine.

Last edited:
I think this kid is going to be a star. IMO, he'll play at an elite level, but will keep grinding to get better. As I said in other posts, I lived in NJ for over 20 years. Camden is a ruff area similar to Liberty City and other places. You have to have your head on straight and that dog mentality to make it out. I think this kid has it all.

Very excited on his early enrollment. He'll be 230-235 by the time that 1st game rolls around. Very smart for him to enroll early given our graduations at LB. He'll be in line for early playing time for sure.

I think this kid is going to be a star. IMO, he'll play at an elite level, but will keep grinding to get better. As I said in other posts, I lived in NJ for over 20 years. Camden is a ruff area similar to Liberty City and other places. You have to have your head on straight and that dog mentality to make it out. I think this kid has it all.

Very excited on his early enrollment. He'll be 230-235 by the time that 1st game rolls around. Very smart for him to enroll early given our graduations at LB. He'll be in line for early playing time for sure.

Miami needs to hit these kind of areas MORE. Kids up here appreciate the value behind the offer. so do the parents

Advertisement
Back