Austin Barber

Advertisement
I love this kids film. good feet and size. Shocked to hear he didn’t ply mean. Thought i saw some highlights on the contrary. I’ll take him

Was going to start a thread today on we need another OL. So ... we do. Barber sounds like a good option.

Losing Thad would really stink. Need a RB and he's a really talented athlete, IMO. Hopefully it's just talk in this thread re him.

As for Haye, not sure what to say. We continue to recruit M. Smith so ... guessing he sees the writing on the wall.
Was it haye or Thad say shiano was talking to him a lot?

Advertisement
More like both...

Haye talked about Rutgers talking to him a lot... Thad can’t shake the rumors about him being worried about the depth chart... whoever he is close to can’t stop talking about how much Chaney and rooster make him think about Miami’s depth (bad early sign)
Where’d you see Haye at? I saw him say UCF has been talking to him a lot, but not Rutgers.

Thad would be a big loss. Can see the hesitation with Knighton/Chaney being the lead guys for two+ years and Brashard Smith too, but with the O-line additions I think Miami becomes a more run focused team. Wouldn't swap Thad directly for Barber, only for a more elite prospect like Maason or a flip elsewhere. If he gets shaky himself, that's on him. If he really believes in himself he can come in, compete, and be the lead dog amongst the two juniors by his sophomore year. Can definitely see the appeal of going elsewhere and starting day 1 though as the main back. The issue I have is he already has a ton of mileage in HS, might as well conserve some of that in college to get ready for the next level.

Advertisement
Thad would be a big loss. Can see the hesitation with Knighton/Chaney being the lead guys for two+ years and Brashard Smith too, but with the O-line additions I think Miami becomes a more run focused team. Wouldn't swap Thad directly for Barber, only for a more elite prospect like Maason or a flip elsewhere. If he gets shaky himself, that's on him. If he really believes in himself he can come in, compete, and be the lead dog amongst the two juniors by his sophomore year. Can definitely see the appeal of going elsewhere and starting day 1 though as the main back. The issue I have is he already has a ton of mileage in HS, might as well conserve some of that in college to get ready for the next level.
Thad's a big time athlete, imo. Knighton's a really different type of runner. We're actually thin at back and need power running to maintain balance in a spread. Would be really unfortunate to lose him at this point in the process. Something wrong with that.

That's a big time athlete, imo. Knighton's a really different type of runner. We're actually thin at back and need power running to maintain balance in a spread. Would be really unfortunate to lose him at this point in the process. Something wrong with that.
But thinking about the existing backs, Thad won't ever be the "lead back" until his junior year, which gives him one year to show his draft value. Even then there's a chance Knighton or Chaney stay for their senior year and split with Thad. There's also the possibility that we bring in another premier SoFla RB in a following cycle who deserves carries. As much as makes sense for us as a team to get Thad and use him to wear down defenses, to him as a kid with NFL aspirations he could easily have more success elsewhere.

Advertisement
But thinking about the existing backs, Thad won't ever be the "lead back" until his junior year, which gives him one year to show his draft value. Even then there's a chance Knighton or Chaney stay for their senior year and split with Thad. There's also the possibility that we bring in another premier SoFla RB in a following cycle who deserves carries. As much as makes sense for us as a team to get Thad and use him to wear down defenses, to him as a kid with NFL aspirations he could easily have more success elsewhere.
I don't buy that theory. Top programs stack backs. Alabama got the No.1 back in the country like 3 of 4 years at one point. Thurman Thomas played ahead of Barry Sanders at OK St. These days, if you're the only good back on your team, you're going to risk getting hurt. Thad's a complementary skill-set to our other guys and there's no reason to think he can't play over any of them. We had Portis, McGahee and Gore on the same team. Plus Najeh and James Jackson iirc. Franklin doesn't seem like the kind of kid to be scared.

Washington came in late at Puke.. maybe he builds some momentum for next year. I'm willing to give Justice so time to develop guys.
We’re probably not seeing Washington for a couple of years. The tackle spot is no longer a concern. The interior is though.

Advertisement
I don't follow recruiting but I noticed the highest ranked OL in South Florida, Marcus Tate, is committed to Clemson.

The **** is that all about? Is the kid too fat to play like Donaldson, or did we just get out-recruited by Clemson? Cause ****, we need some immediate impact offensive linemen in a big way.

Clemson has been pretty good lately. Think we played them this year, but I think I tried to forget that game.

Advertisement
Back