Attrition and signing #s question

Absolutely agree - I just wanted to get a feel for whether we have 10 slots left or 2 lol...

Advertisement
If we had 80 on scholly (I don't know that we do, I don't have the numbers but just for the sake of argument):

Let's say we're losing Kaaya, Yearby, Edwards, Gray, Williams, Coley, Lewis, Njoku, Dobard, Isidora, Gall, Knighton, Loftus, C. Jenkins, Elder, Colbert, R. Jenkins, Carter, Mayes, Henley, and Vogel - that's 21 guys taking us down to 59 scholarship players. (Let me know if I miss somebody.)

That would give us 85-59 = 26 open spots on the 2017 roster. So no matter what, we would have to enroll 26 guys in 2017 to stay at 85 or below...right?

Again, I'm not sure we have 80 on scholarship right now, it might actually be less, but either way, that's the process, yes?

Correct. IF that were the numbers. I believe we don't have 80 right now, though.

I think you're right. Let's count - (somebody check my math):

2016 Roster -
QB (4) - Allison, Kaaya, Rosier, Sherriffs
RB/FB (6) - Williams, Edwards, Gray, Homer, Walton, Yearby
WR (8) - Berrios, Cager, Coley, Harris, Langham, Lewis, Mullins, Richards
TE (4) - Haskins, Herdon, Irvin, Njoku
OL (14) - Brown, Darling, Gall, Gauthier, Isidora, Johnson, Jones, Knighton, Linder, Mahoney, McDermott, Milo, Odogwu, St. Louis
DL (14) - Bethel, Dobard, Fines, Harris, DJackson, JJackson, Jenkins, Martin, McIntosh, Moten, Norton, Patchan, Thomas, Willis
LB (8) - Gordinier, McClould, McCray, Owens, Perry, Pinckney, Quarterman, Smith
DB (14) - Carter, Colbert, Elder, Finley, Henley, Jackson, James, Jenkins, Johnson, Knowles, Mayes, Redwine, Wright, Young
K/P (2) - Badgley, Vogel

I come up with 74 scholarship players unless I'm missing somebody.

this is correct, to the best of my knowledge.

There is no reason to ever worry about the numbers! The numbers always work out.

giphy.gif

If we had 80 on scholly (I don't know that we do, I don't have the numbers but just for the sake of argument):

Let's say we're losing Kaaya, Yearby, Edwards, Gray, Williams, Coley, Lewis, Njoku, Dobard, Isidora, Gall, Knighton, Loftus, C. Jenkins, Elder, Colbert, R. Jenkins, Carter, Mayes, Henley, and Vogel - that's 21 guys taking us down to 59 scholarship players. (Let me know if I miss somebody.)

That would give us 85-59 = 26 open spots on the 2017 roster. So no matter what, we would have to enroll 26 guys in 2017 to stay at 85 or below...right?

Again, I'm not sure we have 80 on scholarship right now, it might actually be less, but either way, that's the process, yes?

given your list of 20 kids departing the team(not including loftus, as he wasnt included in the 74 current count). we would have 31 open spots under the 85 limit to add to our roster before fall 2017. and more kids may leave before then.

if my individual class numbers are correct, we would actually then be limited to only signing 28 for this class(including EE's, juco's, & transfers.), due to the yearly 25 limit

we will see.

Last edited:
Advertisement
so actually...losing a guy like gus or gray or jenkins does nothing to help us bring in a larger signing class. especially given that next year will be their last years, so their leaving early wouldnt open up a spot for 2018 either, as they would be graduated and gone regardless

So basically, if we sign (enroll) 28 in this class we'll be sitting at 82 scholarships for 2017. Has our sanction of -3 scholarships run out already or is this the last year?

So basically, if we sign (enroll) 28 in this class we'll be sitting at 82 scholarships for 2017. Has our sanction of -3 scholarships run out already or is this the last year?

my understanding is that we no longer have to be under the 85 cap.

Advertisement
good deal. But either way, it looks like we will be, yes? Unless we lose some more guys (which is always possible...)

i am very certain that we will be under the 85 limit next fall, yes. i dont see that number limiting our incoming class at all

Cannot go over 85 scholarship players at any time.

Maximum of 25 new enrolled football scholarships per term.

However, early enrollees can retroactively be counted to the prior class assuming it did not have a full 25 players enroll.

Example...

23 players enroll in May 2015 at Miami.

You can bring in a maximum of 2 spring enrollees in January 2016 and count it back to the 2015 class.

A maximum of 25 can enroll in May 2016 provided you do not go over 85 total.

YOU CAN NEVER GO OVER 85 TOTAL ENROLLED SCHOLARSHIP PLAYERS. Commitments don't factor in, only enrollees.

If you don't understand that please stop trying. You are just dumb.

That was great, except for the unnecessary shot that you took at him in closing

unless im wrong, attrittion opens up spots. U can have 100 kids but i think by june, it has to be down to 85 schollys.

Advertisement
ghost, I count 55 kids on roster after the last round of transfers that Brooklyndee just leaked. We should expect at least 2-3 more attrits by summer. And there are more than enough counters from 2016 class open for us to sign 30-33 without any problem.

I'm hoping we bring in several Jucos/GTs to offset the huge gaps in our upper class numbers. Need more seasoned players even if for rotational purposes, STs, practice squad, etc. Colbert, Dayall Harris and Brown helped tremendously. Need 5-7 of those guys this time around, starting at WR/DB, but also DT (LSU guy?), LB and OL.

ghost, I count 55 kids on roster after the last round of transfers that Brooklyndee just leaked. We should expect at least 2-3 more attrits by summer. And there are more than enough counters from 2016 class open for us to sign 30-33 without any problem.

I'm hoping we bring in several Jucos/GTs to offset the huge gaps in our upper class numbers. Need more seasoned players even if for rotational purposes, STs, practice squad, etc. Colbert, Dayall Harris and Brown helped tremendously. Need 5-7 of those guys this time around, starting at WR/DB, but also DT (LSU guy?), LB and OL.

28-30 is my rough guess when all is said and done. 8-10 spots to fill in this class. My relatively realistic yet hopeful finish would be:

RB: McFarland
WR: Thomas, Pouncey, Truitt
OL: 2 more - any two
DT: Logan
DB: Dean, Edwards

All that matters to me is having more than 80 kids on ship in '17. We haven't done that since Shanon was HC. Get me to 82+ and we are far better off! F the saving spots for '18 kids because I can name 10 kids on the roster that could transfer between now and August '18 to get us to 25 in the '18 class.

Advertisement
Cannot go over 85 scholarship players at any time.

Maximum of 25 new enrolled football scholarships per term.

However, early enrollees can retroactively be counted to the prior class assuming it did not have a full 25 players enroll.

Example...

23 players enroll in May 2015 at Miami.

You can bring in a maximum of 2 spring enrollees in January 2016 and count it back to the 2015 class.

A maximum of 25 can enroll in May 2016 provided you do not go over 85 total.

YOU CAN NEVER GO OVER 85 TOTAL ENROLLED SCHOLARSHIP PLAYERS. Commitments don't factor in, only enrollees.

If you don't understand that please stop trying. You are just dumb.

Good answer and I will also add that say we had 19 kids count toward the 2016 class. For the class off 2017 we can have as many EEs as we want but only 6 will count towards the previous class.

I think these guys leaving doesn't change this class much at all really, with the exception that it may lead us to getting a Grad transfer or two due to the scholarship being open.

I think the purpose is to free up spots for the 2018 class, because next year it looks like we will only be losing like 11 seniors leaving about 20 scholarships for the 2018 class (but more guys will probably be let go).

28-30 is my rough guess when all is said and done. 8-10 spots to fill in this class. My relatively realistic yet hopeful finish would be:

RB: McFarland
WR: Thomas, Pouncey, Truitt
OL: 2 more - any two
DT: Logan
DB: Dean, Edwards

Makes sense, though I doubt we take 2 more OL at this point, probably only 1. We'll play at somewhere around 80.

There are only 12 rising seniors left on roster if Gus, Gray and Jenkins are transferring as rumored. So that gives you 17 before early grads/transfers/attrition for the 2018 class, meaning you can comfortably accept 22, after which it will get a increasingly painful to make room. Given we're loading up on DBs in 2018, we need some spots for the other positions.

I'm nerdy and keep a spreadsheet on our roster each year. If you include all the confirmed guys that have left, I currently have our number at 59 guys on scholarship, which would mean 26 open scholarships. Obviously, there are rumors of potentially several others (Gus, Courtel, etc)so the coaches are likely operating w/ a higher number in mind. Also remember that Richt said he plans to keep a couple of scholarships open after Signing Day for potential transfer, so that would lower the number a few. Most have said estimated a signing class at +/- 28, and I think that's about right.

Advertisement
Back