Attempting a Sober Look at June-July Commitments

Advertisement
While I agree I still hope signing top high school talent is the main focus. I disagree with the idea that we are capping our high school intake. The portal should be used so that we don’t take Bobby knowles type reaches
They’re not taking 18 high school players because of the portal. They’re taking fewer players because the extra year of eligibility that was granted to everyone in 2020 is going to put a lot of teams over the scholarship limit. Currently there are 90 scholarship players on UM’s roster. The NCAA hasn’t made a statement about extending the maximum scholarship cap so it’s very likely that we’re back to 85 max as early as next year. Most programs that aren’t currently short on scholarship players will be taking under the 25 yearly allotment. At least for this year.

They’re not taking 18 high school players because of the portal. They’re taking fewer players because the extra year of eligibility that was granted to everyone in 2020 is going to put a lot of teams over the scholarship limit. Currently there are 90 scholarship players on UM’s roster. The NCAA hasn’t made a statement about extending the maximum scholarship cap so it’s very likely that we’re back to 85 max as early as next year. Most programs that aren’t currently short on scholarship players will be taking under the 25 yearly allotment. At least for this year.

Combo of both IMO, actually. We have a ton of "freshmen" on the team and I think it would behoove us to add a few impact older kids to provide some experience and help space the classes out or the 25 cap could bite us in the *** coming up. Manny is on it, though. Not worried. Remember we are starting at 23 this year already as we took the RB and OL transfers.

Advertisement
bitch slap slapping GIF

Here's another thought. At what point does the music stop and these kids scramble to find a seat?
Exactly, there’s going to be a point of no return for some of the less highly rated guys who are just trying to get all their visits. Teams might hold a spot for the super high end kids but these lower 4 star/3 star kids are going to have to strike while the iron is hot or risk ending up at a less than desirable destination. There’s going to be a significant trickle down

Advertisement
It's already happening with CB. Will happen at DL the moment a couple drop.
Agree! If Shemar or Wes/Devon were to pop, it would vault us into position to get another big-timer to pair up with them. Happened that way at WR last year. George, Brinson, Smith happened pretty fast.

247 Update from Gaby:

Miami is hoping to continue to win a few more recruiting battles against the SEC. On Monday, we put together a list of recruits who could potentially be next to commit to Manny Diaz and the Hurricanes.

- One of the prominent recruits listed was Murfreesboro (Tenn.) Oakland four-star wide receiver Isaiah Horton. InsideTheU has reported in the past that Miami and Tennessee are the two schools out in front for 6-foot-3, 190-pounder, but I have a feeling that the Hurricanes might have a slight edge in the recruitment at this point in the process.

The state champion doesn’t have a commitment date in mind yet - so there could still be a ways to go in the recruitment as the in-state Volunteers continue to make a push. I’m not quite ready to put in a 247Sports Crystal Ball in favor of Miami, but could envision getting there in the future if things continue to trend in the right direction as Horton goes public with an intended commitment date.

- I’m also hearing that Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson Top247 cornerback Trequon Fegans making his way back down to South Florida at the end of the month is on the verge of being set in stone. That would be a huge news for DeMarcus Van Dyke and Travaris Robinson seeing as the nation’s No. 10 cornerback has hinted that a commitment could be coming pretty soon.

The 6-foot-2, 181-pounder spent a weekend in Coral Gables the first weekend of June for an official visit. He has also done a self-guided tour of UM’s campus earlier in the year while in town for a 7-on-7 tournament, where he suited up with the Miami Immortals. The Hurricanes have picked up a pair of 247Sports Crystal Ball's for Fegans on Sunday from Southeast analyst Andrew Ivins and myself.

South Carolina and Alabama are thought to be the two top competitors for the Yellowhammer State native.

Advertisement
We are predominately recruiting OOS this year, and certainly more out of SFL than we have in years. What does that mean? We will lose more battles than usual. It's just a one-off year. Due to a dearth of Dade talent and a few top kids who are absolutely inclined to take SEC bags this year, we started behind the 8-ball with this class without much low-hanging fruit. If ever there was a year to sit back and see what you get, not what you lose, this is it. We have the best recruiting staff we've had in a long time right now, let them work, and be patient with them. I think 2023 is when they will really crush it. 2022 is the year to plug a few holes, steal a few playmakers, and bridge the 2021 and 2023 classes.

Also, if there is one thing everyone should realize by now, it's that Manny is a master strategist. He is way out ahead of this board, whether that hurts your feelings or not. Look for him to wait patiently for a few kids we like to get forced out of a few top 5 classes due to schools taking smaller classes. We might clean up late, especially since he's betting on himself at DC. And of course there is the portal. Honestly if you can get a two year starter out of the portal that's just as good if not better than taking a HS kid, developing them on 'ship for two years, and then getting your two years starting out of them. It lets you keep your roster more productive. As long as you are graduating kids.
Such a strategist he fired his offensive staff after one year and his defensive staff after two years. All in the plan, I suppose.

such a strategist he lost to FIU, La Tech and got claymore-d by UNC.

such a strategist his LB recruiting as LB corch was atrocious.

you may be confusing strategy with reaction.

Advertisement
Top 15 class with a Top 8-10 average per player.
I'll take it.

As I mentioned in an older thread, class rankings r a good gage, for sure, but the 2008 class was #1 on paper, in part b/c we signed some highly touted players, but also just the shear size of that class.

A better gage is the overall composite score of the class, which takes the avg of all the kids in the class. A really good example of this is our ‘12 class. Based upon the size & pts, we had a top 10 class, but when we look at the overall composite score, that class would’ve been 20th in the nation. Unfortunately, the results showed as only a handful of guys would make an impact here & certainly didn’t live up to a “top 10 class.”

Clemson has been notorious over a few cycles where they’ve taken smaller classes, but the avg kid was a 4+ star player in the entire class. I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing a class full of 17-18 kids, w/ an overall composite of .9100+. Sign me up.

Just marveling at your painstakingly balanced assessment.
So you think there’s a more “balanced assessment” due in respect of the statement that manny is a “master strategist” (which is what I responded to).

Let’s put aside the obvious response that no balance is logically owed when refuting an incorrect statement. Why not share the arguments you’d put forth in defense of manny being a ‘master strategist’, since you find the la k of balance so funny.

Advertisement
Back