Attempting a Sober Look at June-July Commitments

CaneBear0207

Junior
I came into June with high expectations for the 2022 class, which rose even higher after the 6/1 cookout. By last week, I was disappointed with the commitments we have not landed and the targets who committed elsewhere. Here, I am trying merely to sum up what has happened with 2022 UM targets since the cookout, as objectively as I can.
UM COMMITS - Khamauri Rogers, Landon Ibieta, Chris Graves
DECOMMITS - Quan Lee (almost certainly dropped)
MOST LIKELY LOST BATTLES - S Sherrod Covil (Clemson), LB Demario Tolan (LSU), DL Zane Durant (Penn St.), OL Cameron Williams (Oregon)
AMBIGUOUS LOST BATTLES* - CB Jacolby Spells (West Virginia), LB Ish Harris (Texas A&M), CB Trevell Mullen (Indiana), DB Jacorey Thomas (Georgia)
WE PROBABLY WEREN'T TRYING THAT HARD - S Devin Moore (Notre Dame), DL Keahnist Thompson (UCF), TE RJ Maryland (BC).
*By "Ambiguous Lost Battles," I mean it's not clear whether or not that player chose another school over a committable UM offer. This is where we can only speculate about which players are in the "Likely Lost Battles" group, where I believe we would have accepted commitments, or the last category, where the targets probably did not have committable offers.

Advertisement
Thanks for your thoughts. I too had hoped for more by now. But, be careful, many here still believe that we have and will land everyone the staff actually wants.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts. I too had hoped for more by now. But, be care many here still believe that we have and will land everyone the staff actually wants.
We might, or we might not. The predictions are beyond me. But with all the heat on this board for the past week, I just wanted to take an inventory of what has actually happened, so that we can assess how concerned we should or should not be, looking at a bigger picture than one good land or one or two disappointing misses.

Im Out Bye Bye GIF by Molly Kate Kestner

Advertisement
We might, or we might not. The predictions are beyond me. But with all the heat on this board for the past week, I just wanted to take an inventory of what has actually happened, so that we can assess how concerned we should or should not be, looking at a bigger picture than one good land or one or two disappointing misses.
No, NO! Many posters HATE any attempt at analysis!!! You'll just get some dumb images/memes in response. Oh wait....

The issue I have is we already need to get everyone left as others are committing elsewhere. It feels like we are taking that risk. Not that I actually know anything, just how it feels looking from the outside.

However I assume there will be a few late offers on kids that improve this year, due to limited games last year. I’d love to see a list of “keep an eye on for development” as I have no idea who they might be

In a year when we're going to take maybe 18 recruits, people are actually upset because all 18 aren't hard commits six months early.

Makes sense.
I haven't been following very closely this year, is the expectation actually for us to only take 18 this year?

Advertisement
I said it in another thread. But you have to look at it position by position.

We've got the guys we want at QB and RB (Brown, the transfer). I think it's pretty obvious we have DB fully under control, and WR and DL both look headed in the right direction. They're happy enough with Arroyo and Brantley that they're not reaching for TE, and might ultimately circle back to Maryland if they don't get their top target(s).

So it's all about OL and LB. To me, the targets on the board for these positions that are both realistic and Miami caliber are too few. That said, recruiting is changing fast with the portal, so maybe the coaches have decided they'll take their chances with the current board, and if they don't get them, they'll either grab a kid from a program that implodes during the season, or go the portal route, as opposed to settling.

I don't like Patke but I love Justice, and I hope the best for both. I think we just need to sit back and see what happens. Plenty of time to fill the holes.

Is it disheartening to not have more commitments this far into July? Yes. But as others have said look at the quality of those we do have commitments from right now. That, and just getting a CB from AI for Fegans. That will mean 3 top flight DB’s we’ll have in the boat so to speak. Add to out QB and RB fills and where we are projection wise for the other offensive players and things are trending well. Defensively, if we can land Shemar after a great regular season of play, then I think we’d be in it for Kelly as well. OL and LB are the problem areas for me in this class. We must land Wesley and Devon at LB - doing so will improve that position exponentially. OL maybe we can shore up some top flight kids like Agbo and The other top OL; name forsakes me right now. That should get us @18-19 spots filled through ESD. With the remainder coming from the Portal. When it’s all said and done I think we’re in the Top 20 class wise, more likely Top 15. Stack that on top of a great class in 2021 and a very fine one in 2020 and we are adding depth galore across many positions. The key to the 2022 kids is so many are waiting until deep into the season to make a decision. It’s imperative we make great use of our experience and depth to win games; and plenty of them in 2021 we do that and this recruiting class will end up just fine.

Is it disheartening to not have more commitments this far into July? Yes. But as others have said look at the quality of those we do have commitments from right now. That, and just getting a CB from AI for Fegans. That will mean 3 top flight DB’s we’ll have in the boat so to speak. Add to out QB and RB fills and where we are projection wise for the other offensive players and things are trending well. Defensively, if we can land Shemar after a great regular season of play, then I think we’d be in it for Kelly as well. OL and LB are the problem areas for me in this class. We must land Wesley and Devon at LB - doing so will improve that position exponentially. OL maybe we can shore up some top flight kids like Agbo and The other top OL; name forsakes me right now. That should get us @18-19 spots filled through ESD. With the remainder coming from the Portal. When it’s all said and done I think we’re in the Top 20 class wise, more likely Top 15. Stack that on top of a great class in 2021 and a very fine one in 2020 and we are adding depth galore across many positions. The key to the 2022 kids is so many are waiting until deep into the season to make a decision. It’s imperative we make great use of our experience and depth to win games; and plenty of them in 2021 we do that and this recruiting class will end up just fine.
Top 15 class with a Top 8-10 average per player.
I'll take it.

Advertisement
I think the real kick in the nuts was Durant because we thought he was in the boat and he kind of inexplicably jumped out. But we definitely have other DL options on the board. Tolan hurt because hopes were high after Paradise and our LB board is pretty shallow. Cameron Williams would have been nice, but it was not a shock that he went elsewhere. Covil in my view was easy come, easy go.
The way DB recruiting is heading, I'm not sore over Spells, Thomas, or Mullen. And with this weekend's new CB's (Fegans, Bissainthe, Stewart), I think we're in ok shape. Offensive recruiting looks like it's going nowhere, but at least our targets are still on the board.

Thanks for your thoughts. I too had hoped for more by now. But, be careful, many here still believe that we have and will land everyone the staff actually wants.
Cite one post where someone says or even implies we are getting every single player the staff is going after.

There’s no need to be hyperbolic. Most on this board are realistic on the recruiting front.

We are taking 7 less prospects this year. We can not take lots of commits so fan boys can be happy.

Advertisement

As soon as we bend Bama over for a good public rooting - and on camera Saban blows his nether O-Ring on the sideline - we might pick off a few of their current commits - and they may have to start over from scratch.

Or not.

In a year when we're going to take maybe 18 recruits, people are actually upset because all 18 aren't hard commits six months early.

Makes sense.
While I agree I still hope signing top high school talent is the main focus. I disagree with the idea that we are capping our high school intake. The portal should be used so that we don’t take Bobby knowles type reaches

While I agree I still hope signing top high school talent is the main focus. I disagree with the idea that we are capping our high school intake. The portal should be used so that we don’t take Bobby knowles type reaches
We will need at least one spot for a punter.

Advertisement
Back