Attacking Coach L

Advertisement
Of all the problems the UM athletic department has, finding a new basketball coach is about #427 on the list.

Agreed. Jim L deserves to finish out his contract (shouldn't be fired). But Miami has to go big next.

Two points of interest.

First, Miami needs to use all 13 scholarships and have 13 scholarship players on the roster. If the coaches wants to redshirt a player or have a transfer come into the program, that is great but 11 players need to be available to play in games. Yes, players want to play and some will leave the program. When a player leaves, either he should be replaced with an incoming freshman or a grad transfer the following season. Not using the scholarship is not helping the team.

Second, I am not attacking Coach L but I want to ask a fair question. Do you think Coach L and staff have maxed out their run at Miami? I am only asking because it feels like the Canes will always be 20-10 and make the NCAA tournament with a first round loss at this point. In fairness, Coach L has exceeded the previous expectations of the basketball program but I guess the biggest question is can Coach L take Miami to the next step (24-6 regular season record, regular contender for the ACC and two win NCAA tournament team). Does Miami basketball want to take the next step? What is the direction of the program? Has anyone noticed that no one has mentioned that season tickets are sold out this year?

Yes, I know. The FBI investigation hurt our 2018 recruiting class but how come the coaches did not add more grad transfers to the roster? Especially with the potential of Miles Wilson getting kicked off the team (I don't think Miles did something so horrific he had to get dismissed immediately, I think there was a recurring issue over the past few months but it is only my opinion). Roster management is an issue that needs to be addressed.

In 2019, unfortunately the Canes will not have CJ Walker and Vernon Carey Jr (unless something unforeseen happens) and the Canes lose between three or four players. With only two incoming freshman, our rosters will have nine scholarship players again. The coaches definitely need to add four more players. My opinion is 2 grad transfers and 2 more freshman to have 13 scholarship players. If you want to redshirt two freshman, that is fine but you will still have 11 players available for the entire season.

Let me know what you think.

GO CANES.

Agreed. Jim L deserves to finish out his contract (shouldn't be fired). But Miami has to go big next.
Fred Hoiberg was fired today by the Bulls. If the timing was right, that's the kind of coach I'd like to get. Has NBA cred and, more importantly, his teams at Iowa State (that he played on and coached) played baseline to baseline. Fast break basketball like UNC, which recruits prefer a lot more than half court sets.

This is probably super-obvious but you can't get silk out of pigskin. Sure, some more scholarships may add some manpower, but it's the top recruits that make your team, NBA-targets and others. One-and-done has limitations (and Coach L likes "vets" more than maybe-Kobe-wannabe rookies otherwise) but just see Bruce Brown and Lonnie Walker and Dewan Huell recently as indication Coach L gets his fair share of future NBA-ers.

We are not a traditional basketball powerhouse and I doubt anyone but a few superstar coaches that demand many millions, would do better attracting better talent or more NBA-ers. We also have our checkered past and current Athletics doldrums (James and Richt and banners) not adding invitingness.

"Bags" and other problematic perks that make some places get better personnel are a touchy subject I'd just as soon leave out of the coaching discussion equation.

That being said, I think Coach L consistently manages a flawed set of players magnificently. As fans we see poor results at times and have suggestions for different roster and play strategy, but I have no doubt Coach L has the expertise and likeability and discipline combination that gets maximum return, or close to it.

Advertisement
You can definitely win without top HS recruits. Gonzaga, Butler and Wichita State are just the three latest examples of coaches winning the opposite way that the one and done schools do, i.e., with 3 and 4 year players.

You can definitely win without top HS recruits. Gonzaga, Butler and Wichita State are just the three latest examples of coaches winning the opposite way that the one and done schools do, i.e., with 3 and 4 year players.
...not to mention the successful programs that go overseas and vigorously find the tall and talented trainable guys... (wonder what their families get, lol, and if NCAA sends their investigators out there)

Advertisement
If we keep losing to the likes of Yale at home (yeah yeah...AAA still counts as home to me), then Coach L's going to lose a lot of that goodwill he has built up from previous years. Need to hope for Huellnandez to come back soon and we overachieve in the ACC again.

I’m as big of an L guy as the next, and obviously the hand he was dealt this year was abysmal.

Still, there are some questions that need to be asked.

Assistant coaching. Do we need an upgrade? Still puzzled by the PW hire. Staff seems to never have recovered after Huger and Konkol.

Roster management. Yes the FBI killed recruiting last year and the DH saga is getting old, but take a look at our roster turnover. We seem to have lots of dismissals for “failing to meet expectations”. Should we be filling open ships with guys like JT or be winding up with a 6 man rotation when push comes to shove?

Player Development. CL started out well, but he’s looking more and more like Quan reborn as the season goes on. Amp is Amp. Ebuka continues to give up dumb fouls. Who actually looks better this year than last?

Assists per game. 171st in the nation before tonight.

Team D. 80th in the nation giving up almost 67 per game, again before tonight.

Hustle/Effort. Didn’t see the game tonight, but this team doesn’t look like Coach L teams of the past

Last edited:
Very good post.

Assistant coaching. Do we need an upgrade? Still puzzled by the PW hire. Staff seems to never have recovered after Huger and Konkol.

This has been mentioned before but the quality of the assistants is an issue. He should be making changes. It was comical how bad Caputo was when thrown into the fire against BC last year.

Roster management. Yes the FBI killed recruiting last year and the DH saga is getting old, but take a look at our roster turnover. We seem to have lots of dismissals for “failing to meet expectations”. Should we be filling open ships with guys like JT or be winding up with a 6 man rotation when push comes to shove?

I have been discussing this issue for the last 3 years. Fill the class. Fill the class. Fill the class.

Please note: This whole business with Rodney Miller Jr makes this issue an even bigger joke.

Player Development. CL started out well, but he’s looking more and more like Quan reborn as the season goes on. Amp is Amp. Ebuka continues to give up dumb fouls. Who actually looks better this year than last?

I would say Buka is much much better but he still has that foul issue.

Hustle/Effort. Didn’t see the game tonight, but this team doesn’t look like Coach L teams of the past

I agree.

Advertisement
Casual fan here but our offensive plays out of time outs (especially end of game situations) rarely result in easy shots nor shots by the "right" guy and has been happening for years.

Casual fan here but our offensive plays out of time outs (especially end of game situations) rarely result in easy shots nor shots by the "right" guy and has been happening for years.

Usually we're not even able to inbound unless it's one of those moon shots to the PG standing at the FT line.

Some of y'all act like Miami basketball was legit for decades lol Coach L brought this program to a respectable level. You are going to have your down years from time to time. Chill out. Seems to be a lot of anger carrying over from the football side of the house.

Advertisement
How many f'ucking threads are we going to have about Larranga and his staff, sucking? What the f'uck is happening on this board? I get it! Larranga sucks; his staff sucks! These points have been discussed and debated ad nauseam.

CIS is not perfect by any means. However, it is the best thing running for Canes info, and has been for quite some time. I beg of you, quit contaminating the board with seperate threads that are discussing the same topic, which is,.....Larranga Sucks (I agree)!

No, I am not the thread police, nor do I care to be. However, I would love to come home from a good/hard day of work and come to this site to find valuable info, without having to sift through a bunch of the same redundant ****, which is more than likely, ****, that is being spewed by grown men who....
1. Has a wife/girlfriend, but can't get ***** (she's f'ucking another guy)
2. Unsure about his sexuality, which is why his wife/girlfriend is f'ucking another guy.
3. Needs his mother to tell him that everything is going to be okay, becuase his wife/girlfriend is f'ucking another guy.
4. ..is not a grown man, but is a little *****, who has weekly "get together's" at the mall or some random skating parks to discuss Larranga sucking, because he heard his father talk about it amongst his work buddies. Clearly his father has nothing else to do, due to the lack of ***** that he was receiving at home, because his wife/girlfriend is f'ucking another guy.

I am all for dialogue that is of substance. Being in your feelings, because your ***** has not been licked in a while, is another matter.

Get *****, or go get your ***** licked!

I’m as big of an L guy as the next, and obviously the hand he was dealt this year was abysmal.

Still, there are some questions that need to be asked.

Assists per game. 171st in the nation before tonight.

Team D. 80th in the nation giving up almost 67 per game, again before tonight.

Not surprising without a true PG.

Not surprising without a true PG.

LMFAO I have never seen someone triple down on something like this so many times with 0 facts besides. I guess UNC and Virginia don't have PGs either because they average the same amount of assists as Lykes. I guess CP3 and his scouts should have asked you before sending an invite to Ty Jerome about their Guard camp. They also never should have said he was the best pure basketball PG at the camp. The ACC never should have given him his player of the week awards either, because, you know....Hotshot says he doesn't play like Bob Cousy.

That's part of my problem with Lykes as a ballhandler. He does play like Bob Cousy with the behind the back stuff, trying to take the ball inside so it can easily be rejected, etc.

But, I did take your point that the position has evolved to where the old expectations of not turning the ball over, individually beating a press, distributing the ball on offense so it doesn't "stick, " etc. no longer apply. You're right in that everyone is pretty much a combo guard these days.

Advertisement
Back