Attacking Coach L

That's part of my problem with Lykes as a ballhandler. He does play like Bob Cousy with the behind the back stuff, trying to take the ball inside so it can easily be rejected, etc.

But, I did take your point that the position has evolved to where the old expectations of not turning the ball over, individually beating a press, distributing the ball on offense so it doesn't "stick, " etc. no longer apply. You're right in that everyone is pretty much a combo guard these days.

Lol. I hope I didn't come off as disrespectful. I do enjoy reading a lot of your posts especially when you bring up old school facts and trivia about the U and Miami area from when you were there. My appologies if I did.

That said though. I also agree with you about Lykes. If lykes wants any chance of playing at the next level(or even continuing to start at Miami if L lands a stud PG next class) he needs to get WAY better at passing the ball. He needs to get better at not turning it over. He needs to get a better vision of the court and seeing open players. Etc. etc. I enjoy his athleticism and aggression, but he seems to have regressed from last year(at the very minimum he has not gotten much better).

Advertisement
OGH, I watched Chris Lykes (sometimes in person) during his HS career at Gonzaga HS in the District. And, I've often held up DC-Baltimore HS hoops as being played at a level far greater than South Florida HS ball is. So, if you'd think I'm a Lykes superfan with a biased rooting interest, you'd be right! Not to say that he isn't still very much a work in progress.

That step-back three when closely guarded is a thing of beauty when Chris is "on." For a player his size to be able to create his own outside shot is a great credit to him. Lotta practice went into that move, I'm sure.

Wish I could recall more of how 5'3" Muggsy Bogues played. As a senior at Wake Forest, he averaged 14.8 points, 9.5 assists, 3.8 rebounds and 2.4 steals per game. In his best NBA season in the mid-90s with Charlotte, he had 11pg and 11apg. His turnovers were always less than 2 a game and, some seasons, less than 1.

Wish I could recall more of how 5'3" Muggsy Bogues played. As a senior at Wake Forest, he averaged 14.8 points, 9.5 assists, 3.8 rebounds and 2.4 steals per game. In his best NBA season in the mid-90s with Charlotte, he had 11pg and 11apg. His turnovers were always less than 2 a game and, some seasons, less than 1.
People always talk about him in the dunk contest, but the best thing about Bogues was he frustrated people defensively every single game. He stuck to the other team's PG at all times. He got overshadowed for his defense much of his career because more people talked about Gary Payton (with good reason - he's not called The Glove for nothing). A lot of that was just due to his strength/quickness combo at his size...you might have been taller than Muggsy, but you weren't going to strong arm him or beat him to a spot either.

The other thing about his game that was impressive is that he didn't leave his feet that much - he didn't get caught in the air without a plan. Sometimes when you're at a size disadvantage, you can try to jump to get a better angle or view for your pass or shot...Muggsy rarely did that w/o a purpose.

I think when we've seen Lykes at his best, he's done both of those things in a manner more like what Muggsy used to.

Also...I'm reminded of a quote that Jim Cornette attributes to The 'Merican Dream Dusty Rhodes that Dusty used to say to certain wrestlers that would fvck around and hurt other wrestlers - "Don't do **** that you don't know how to do". In other words, stay within your skill set. Muggsy didn't go out there and try to go dunk contest on dudes in real games - no...he stayed within himself, drove with the intent to dish but the ability to finish, and his jumper was pretty reliable...and he always played hard defense.

If Lykes can get more consistent on the defensive end, and stay more within his skill set on offense, he can end up being a player more like Bogues was. Right now...he's pressing to do too much on offense, and isn't as active on the defensive end as he should be. Bogues is definitely the template that Lykes should be following and learning from.

BWCD, thanks for that.

Muggsy, was from Baltimore and a teammate at Dunbar HS of David Wingate, Reggie Lewis and Reggie Williams. Not a half-bad HS team! They went 60-0 in his junior and senior years back in the early 80s.

I'm just thrilled Cyrez is still alive. Seriously. That's a name I haven't seen in like 10 years.

Advertisement
People always talk about him in the dunk contest, but the best thing about Bogues was he frustrated people defensively every single game. He stuck to the other team's PG at all times. He got overshadowed for his defense much of his career because more people talked about Gary Payton (with good reason - he's not called The Glove for nothing). A lot of that was just due to his strength/quickness combo at his size...you might have been taller than Muggsy, but you weren't going to strong arm him or beat him to a spot either.

The other thing about his game that was impressive is that he didn't leave his feet that much - he didn't get caught in the air without a plan. Sometimes when you're at a size disadvantage, you can try to jump to get a better angle or view for your pass or shot...Muggsy rarely did that w/o a purpose.

I think when we've seen Lykes at his best, he's done both of those things in a manner more like what Muggsy used to.

Also...I'm reminded of a quote that Jim Cornette attributes to The 'Merican Dream Dusty Rhodes that Dusty used to say to certain wrestlers that would fvck around and hurt other wrestlers - "Don't do **** that you don't know how to do". In other words, stay within your skill set. Muggsy didn't go out there and try to go dunk contest on dudes in real games - no...he stayed within himself, drove with the intent to dish but the ability to finish, and his jumper was pretty reliable...and he always played hard defense.

If Lykes can get more consistent on the defensive end, and stay more within his skill set on offense, he can end up being a player more like Bogues was. Right now...he's pressing to do too much on offense, and isn't as active on the defensive end as he should be. Bogues is definitely the template that Lykes should be following and learning from.

Actually Dusty said that to Big Bubba Rogers. He **** near killed one of the Mulkey brothers.

Still alive :) but I picked the wrong season to be active on the boards lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back