Athlon's top 10 national champs

Advertisement
Does everybody? This is the first list I’ve seen that puts that FSU team so high. I think most people know they played a bad schedule.
Espn did a bracket a while back and had that FSU team beating the 08 Gators and 05 Longhorns I believe

Espn did a bracket a while back and had that FSU team beating the 08 Gators and 05 Longhorns I believe

Putting 2013 FSU above the 2005 Texas team? WTF?

I could definitely see putting FSU ahead of the 2008 Florida team. I never understand why that team is rated so highly by everybody. They lost to a 4 loss Ole Miss team, and their championship victory over OU, which was played with a virtual home field, wasn’t that dominating.

Last edited:
Advertisement
1993 Florida St. is the best FSU team I've seen, and they would have raped either the 1999 or 2013 FSU title teams. That is why I don't automatically ding one-loss teams as inferior to undefeated teams.

1996 Florida, when healthy, was the best UF team I've seen. They only lacked depth. 2008 Florida would be right behind them because of that inexcusable loss to Ole Miss.

I don't see 2005 Texas or 2009 Alabama beating either of these two above teams.

Yes, a night game at Nebraska against a solid 9th ranked Huskers team. Washington got down and then reversed the momentum against them and dominated Nebraska in the 4th quarter. Won by 15, and then famously had Nebraska fans giving them an ovation at the end of the game. Hardly an indictment against their pedigree.

We had a good defense in 1991, but we also had Gino Torretta at quarterback, and you see what he looked like against an elite front 7 when we played Alabama in the Sugar Bowl the following season. And Washington's defense was even more dominating and aggressive than Alabama's. We dodged a bullet by not having to play Washington in 1991 while still getting a share of the title.
The same Nebraska team we shutout 22-0 in the bowl game...checkmate...
Canes over wash.

Nah, we got Nebraska at home, while Washington played them at their place. Objection overruled, case dismissed. Washington was better than us in '91.
Bullshyt...a shutout is a shutout...they were getting whooped by Nebraska and it was like 2nd game of season. Nebraska was unbeaten for 8 straight weeks and had beaten a ranked Oklahoma before we shut them out completely.
Canes win all day...everyday...
And that's a wrap...
Done...

Advertisement
Bullshyt...a shutout is a shutout...they were getting whooped by Nebraska and it was like 2nd game of season. Nebraska was unbeaten for 8 straight weeks and had beaten a ranked Oklahoma before we shut them out completely.
Canes win all day...everyday...
And that's a wrap...
Done...

Nope, not with Gino Torretta at quarterback. Ain't happening even if they spotted us 14 points. Alabama game should have told you that.

Nope, not with Gino Torretta at quarterback. Ain't happening even if they spotted us 14 points. Alabama game should have told you that.
Oh you mean Gino Torreta the winner of the Heisman Trophy as the nations best player?
We shutout Nebraska after they were one of the hottest teams in the nation at the time. You are talking about an Alabama team the Next season after 91....and that was in the Natty....with a different oline...it was one game...get over it.
We beat wash...no problem

Putting 2013 FSU above the 2005 Texas team? WTF?

I could definitely see putting FSU ahead of the 2008 Florida team. I never understand why that team is rated so highly by everybody. They lost to a 4 loss Ole Miss team, and their championship victory over OU, which was played with a virtual home field, wasn’t that dominating.

Let us not forget, if Demarco Murray played that game, OU beats them by two scores-at least.

Advertisement
Talking about the 2008 Gators....

Heres the thing; we gave Ole Miss in 2008 the design to beat Tim Tebow. Ran a 4-4 disguised as a 4-3 most of the game, and since Tebow couldn't throw deep, it was a perfect foil. By the end of the first half, Tebow was angry and frustrated because a very young defense was stopping him, and stopping him handily.

We didn't have an offense..and by the 4th quarter our guys were gassed.

...Sound familiar?

Urban had to kick a FG late in the fourth quarter to make the score look better.

Sure, maybe if we had Joe Montana at quarterback, but with Torretta we lose by 17.
Torretta wasn't the reason we lost that Sugar Bowl. Dennis Erickson got lazy and complacent. When he was asked what kind of planning he was doing, he said nothing, he was going to use what got them there. That game was the beginning of the end for him.

Advertisement
Torretta wasn't the reason we lost that Sugar Bowl. Dennis Erickson got lazy and complacent. When he was asked what kind of planning he was doing, he said nothing, he was going to use what got them there. That game was the beginning of the end for him.

No, Torretta was most of the reason we lost. Three picks and sub-50% passing. Torretta had no idea what defense Bama was in most of the night. I appreciate what he did for us, but he killed us that game. A lousy performance. Would have been a similar outcome against Washington.

Let us not forget, if Demarco Murray played that game, OU beats them by two scores-at least.

USC would have beaten UF that year. USC was the best team in the country, and it was difficult to understand why they weren't selected for the title game, since their loss was early in the year. (Which was supposed to be a good thing under the old BCS format.)

No, Torretta was most of the reason we lost. Three picks and sub-50% passing. Torretta had no idea what defense Bama was in most of the night. I appreciate what he did for us, but he killed us that game. A lousy performance. Would have been a similar outcome against Washington.

What's there really to appreciate about Torretta? He was a mediocre at best QB, and his Heisman was embarrassing.

Anyway, I think 1991 Miami would have beaten 1991 Washington about 2 times out of 3. All 3 games would be low scoring snoozers.

Last edited:
1944-46 army should be number one. Most dynamic offense ever , loaded with elite athletes.

1944 army would be a minimum of a two td favorite against 01 Miami.

I know you are being sarcastic, but they really should be the number 1 team. They blew out everyone they played. I am not sure what was going on with the season that year, maybe other schools had all their players fighting the war or something, but that is the most dominating performance of any CFB team. I have ever seen. Miami is obviously number 1 in the modern era though.

Advertisement
Back