Athlon's top 10 national champs

What's there really to appreciate about Torretta? He was a mediocre at best QB, and his Heisman was embarrassing.

Anyway, I think 1991 Miami would have beaten 1991 Washington about 2 times out of 3. All 3 games would be low scoring snoozers.

I appreciate that Torretta came to Miami, and did the best he could. We won a lot of games with him at quarterback. I appreciate any quarterback that helps us beat FSU. But yeah, his Heisman is embarrassing in hindsight. We stole one there.

I don't think 1991 Miami would win a single game in 50 against 1991 Washington. We had a great defense that year, but our offense left a lot to be desired. We really couldn't run the ball worth a ****. Our best back, Stephen McGuire, ran for only 500-600 yards, and didn't even average 5 yards per carry. Meanwhile, Washington had the best offense in the country, with play makers all over the field. And a defense as good as or better than ours. They likely would have beaten us similarly or worse than Alabama did the following year.

Advertisement
What's there really to appreciate about Torretta? He was a mediocre at best QB, and his Heisman was embarrassing.

Anyway, I think 1991 Miami would have beaten 1991 Washington about 2 times out of 3. All 3 games would be low scoring snoozers.
I'm not saying to appreciate Torretta, I'm saying blame Erickson. Alabama had 8 men in the box all night long and he didn't do a single thing to adjust. He didn't try to come up with a unique game plan, he treated it like just another game.

USC would have beaten UF that year. USC was the best team in the country, and it was difficult to understand why they weren't selected for the title game, since their loss was early in the year. (Which was supposed to be a good thing under the old BCS format.)
They lost to UCLA last game of the year.

Good list.

Of course I would have changed a few things around and not included ND...but it's as good a list as any other

Advertisement
Most complete and dominating team relative to their peers I've ever seen. Legendary coach, legendary defense, and an excellent quarterback.

If you're going by that then you should have 1995 Nebraska first. You don't so you Prolly have some ties to Washington. If you look at the match UPS do you really think Walter baily can guard andre Johnson? The wr's don't acre anybody either your best being Mario baily. Pretty sure Buchanan and co can shut his *** down. The only player on offense who would cause some issues is Kaufman.

If you're going by that then you should have 1995 Nebraska first. You don't so you Prolly have some ties to Washington. If you look at the match UPS do you really think Walter baily can guard andre Johnson? The wr's don't acre anybody either your best being Mario baily. Pretty sure Buchanan and co can shut his *** down. The only player on offense who would cause some issues is Kaufman.

I put Washington above Nebraska because Washington had a great passing and running game, whereas Nebraska was run-oriented. If someone was able to shut down Nebraska's running game, they weren't going to beat you through the air. But Washington could do both equally well. And Washington could stuff the run like nobody's business. I've never seen a front 7 get more penetration into the backfield more consistently than 1991 Washington. Go watch their games on YouTube. They routinely had five or six guys molesting the quarterback at a time. None of them could be stopped.

Andre Johnson wouldn't need to be blanketed for Washington to beat Miami, because the quarterback wouldn't have had time to even get him the ball. He would have been running for his life all four quarters.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back