Athlon's top 10 national champs

Advertisement
LSU & Clemson can both go 15-0. Context is everything;

There was no championship game and there was no playoff format back in 2001. 2001 produced pro bowlers (McGahee, Portis, Gore, McKinnie, Vilma, Reed, Johnson, Rolle, Taylor, Winslow, Shockey, & Wilfork) and potentially four HOFers (Reed-in; Gore, Wilfork, and Dre).

I like to consider myself versed in sports, and I’m looking at this list and other CFB National Champions in my mind, and I just don’t see any of em flooding the NFL w that much elite talent at one time, including our other national championship squads. I mean, 23 players were selected in the 1st three rounds, with 17 of them being 1st rounders. Had Shockey not got his career cut short, and ofcourse my guy Taylor not had some bytch take his life, this squad could’ve had 6 future HOFers on it.

F Clemson & LSU’s claim as the GOAT team.....we produced all-world talent from 2001 that would transcend the NFL.
Agree man, no one can touch the star power we had on that team and all the future NFL players and pro bowlers on it. The only team that comes close is USC 2004, which oddly they aren’t even on that list even though they laid waste to CFB and Oklahoma in the title game that year. IMO 04 USC deserves to be number 2 on that list.

Advertisement
1944-46 army should be number one. Most dynamic offense ever , loaded with elite athletes.

1944 army would be a minimum of a two td favorite against 01 Miami.

Those Army teams should definitely be on the list. People have forgotten about those teams though.

That Army team was like if 2001 Miami played like they did vs Syracuse and Washington, every week of the season.

Last edited:
LSU didn’t even finish #1 in either FPI or SP+ this year. (Ohio State did) I honestly think OSU probably would have beaten LSU if OSU hadn’t been cheated by the refs against Clemson.

LSU really wasn’t that great of a team. People are just saying that because they say that about every year’s champion.
one thing you have to admit Lsu made several top ten teams look bad while beating them.bama,ou and clemson were top ten teams that's why Lsu is called that.fact this list has them too low.I'd put them up there just below our 2001 team.they are that good.

one thing you have to admit Lsu made several top ten teams look bad while beating them.bama,ou and clemson were top ten teams that's why Lsu is called that.fact this list has them too low.I'd put them up there just below our 2001 team.they are that good.

LSU played Alabama when Tua was hurt and probably shouldn’t have been playing. And they won by 5 points.

If Tua had been healthy, Bama wins.

Nobody will be talking about 2019 LSU as an all time great team in 10 years.

With the new playoff system, teams will play more top teams before winning the championship anyway. Their schedule won’t seem as impressive.

Last edited:
Advertisement
LSU played Alabama when Tua was hurt and probably shouldn’t have been playing. And they won by 5 points.

If Tua had been healthy, Bama wins.
Bama got a couple late scores to get that close.evidently you didn't watch that game.Lsu was up by 3 scores at 5 minute mark in the 4 th qtr.

Advertisement
What about 1897 Penn? The last team for over 120 years to go 15-0.

They were a good squad, but '88 Yale didn't surrender a single point all season (694-0), had 5 players who ended up in the CFB Hall of Fame, including Amos Alonzo Stagg who was inducted as a player AND a coach, and the first ever eventual professional player Pudge Heffelfinger. They also were led by a future HoF coach in Walter Camp. A complete murderer's row.

Advertisement
Lol. What can I say? I think some of these guys are just messing around. Was Brunell on that Washington team???

Yes, but injured. So they went with the next guy, Billy Joe Hobert, who was almost as good (never lost a college game he started).

Not sure why my opinion is controversial enough to get grown men crying to the moderators like little babies.

They were a good squad, but '88 Yale didn't surrender a single point all season (694-0), had 5 players who ended up in the CFB Hall of Fame, including Amos Alonzo Stagg who was inducted as a player AND a coach, and the first ever eventual professional player Pudge Heffelfinger. They also were led by a future HoF coach in Walter Camp. A complete murderer's row.

Wow.

I thought Yale’s 10-0 win over Princeton was a bit of a blemish, until I realized that Princeton was 11-0 and had outscored opponents 589-0 coming into that game.

The 1888 Princeton team is probably the second best team of all time.

Do you think the 2001 Canes are the 3rd best team of all time, or are they lower than that? Since you’re really old and have personally witnessed teams going back to 1869, you should be an expert on this.

Yes, but injured. So they went with the next guy, Billy Joe Hobert, who was almost as good (never lost a college game he started).

Not sure why my opinion is controversial enough to get grown men crying to the moderators like little babies.
Yeah, they had a good run. I was at the game in the OB when our streak ended.

As to the other thing, I’m not crying though I don’t agree with Washington or any team being better than our 01 team.

Quite simply posting anything but the 2001 Miami team is the greatest on a Cane message board is going to catch heat, especially if it’s something out of left field. Right or wrong, I don’t know how that would surprise you given the audience.

Advertisement
Back