Athlon's top 10 national champs

Advertisement
LSU should be #2 with a case for #1 IMO. I also wasn't around in 1971 or 1995 so I don't have much to say about those teams

Advertisement

2013 FSU played a terrible schedule. Against Auburn, which is one of the 2 worst teams to make a title game (the other being 2001 Nebraska), they struggled.

The 51-14 road win over Clemson was the only game that really qualifies as a fantastic performance by the 2013 Noles. Since they were probably the only team other than Auburn they faced that was even a top 40 team.

Last edited:
LSU should be #2 with a case for #1 IMO. I also wasn't around in 1971 or 1995 so I don't have much to say about those teams

LSU didn’t even finish #1 in either FPI or SP+ this year. (Ohio State did) I honestly think OSU probably would have beaten LSU if OSU hadn’t been cheated by the refs against Clemson.

LSU really wasn’t that great of a team. People are just saying that because they say that about every year’s champion.

Advertisement
‘88 ND wasn’t even the best team in the country that year.

I would also argue that last year’s Clemson is the only team this decade that has a shot to be on this list. That D line was unreal and only if Lawrence played at his freshman year, stretch run level.

Advertisement
There are a couple of Miami teams that would have beaten all those teams. Heck one did beat ND but got cheated by refs. Although I watched that '71 NE team beat Bama in Orange Bowl and it was pretty bad ***. But the NE team we beat for our first NC was supposed to be the greatest team ever before we introduced them to the New Age.

The 1986 Miami Hurricanes were a **** of a football team, as was 1988, 1990, 2002—and especially 2000—yet none won a title. (I mean, 2002 technically did, but I digress....)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back