Athlon Sports Ranks Miami #29

canecountry3

Senior
"It’s been a decade since Miami last won 10 games in a season, and the lack of success has gradually eroded expectations. But things could be on the upswing in Coral Gables despite a never-ending NCAA investigation that has dogged Al Golden in his two-plus seasons as coach. With eight starters returning for a potentially explosive offense, four starters back on a rebuilding defense and a manageable schedule, the Hurricanes are a legitimate contender for a Coastal Division title and their first trip to the ACC title game."

I'd agree with the ranking, but their reasoning is horribly researched.

They have 8 starters returning on Offense and 4 returning on D. Way off.

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-2013-preseason-rankings-26-40

Advertisement
Maybe he's counting these guys as starters: Darius Smith, Eddie Johnson, Gionni Paul, Ramon Buchanan, Vaughn Telemaque, Brandon McGee, Thomas Finnie

Depends on how you define starters, journalists will often count a player who started a game during the prior season as a starter

Advertisement
Depends on how you define starters, journalists will often count a player who started a game during the prior season as a starter

The word starter is a really stupid word/stat. Technically you can play 12 plays all year and be a starter for every game.

Starter should be replaced with snaps played. Whoever played the most snaps at the position should be the player to count when determining experience.

People are taking the wait and see approach on us, and deservedly so. I think most pundits realize we have a lot of up and coming pieces and that the program is on the rise, however they aren't going to put us into the top 25 until we prove we are more than just the hype.

It's simple, earn your stripes. If we beat Florida in Game 2 we move up to around 20-22 because that would be us confirming what many people had thought, but just need confirmation on.

I think we will start off around 23-25 just to make the UF game attract more interest early in the season. If we beat them like i expect by 8-10 then we will jump in the 14-16 range..

Advertisement
I feel like these prognosticators have us in the right neighborhood, anywhere from 25-30. This team has a lot of potential to move up quickly with an impressive performance against UiF on 9/7.

I feel like these prognosticators have us in the right neighborhood, anywhere from 25-30. This team has a lot of potential to move up quickly with an impressive performance against UiF on 9/7.

exactly.

you can't put a team that went 6-6 the prior season in the pre-season top 25, however everyone pretty much knows we bring a lot of young guys back that got significant time last season, including a senior quarterback with a cannon for an arm and an offensive line that could be one of the nation's better ones.

If we beat Florida we jump into the 20ish range. If we are 7-0 headed into the FSU game we will be top 10, which is actually really possible when you figure that if we beat UF @ UNC is the only game that might give us problems.

If Morris and Duke stay healthy, there is absolutely no reason why this team shouldn't get 10 wins looking at this schedule.

Advertisement
Maybe he's counting these guys as starters: Darius Smith, Eddie Johnson, Gionni Paul, Ramon Buchanan, Vaughn Telemaque, Brandon McGee, Thomas Finnie

That list only has two guys who will be missed for anything other than depth purposes.

This program has grossly underperformed for a decade with multiple all pros coming through the program.

I am the biggest homer in the world....but I will believe it when I see it.

Advertisement
25-30 is where you put teams with potential, but too many question marks to rank higher

If our DTs stay healthy, Duke stays healthy, and Morris becomes a complete qb, then we could have a huge year. If those things fail to happen, we could suck.

Advertisement
Back