ATH Chandler Cox 2015

Advertisement
That’s where Apopka athlete Chandler Cox breaks the mold--he’s just good at a lot of different things.

He can run, block, catch, tackle, and even throw some passes.

“Wherever the team and the coaches need me, that’s where I’ll play,” Cox said. “I’ll lineup at fullback, slot receiver, I started at outside linebacker in ninth grade. This year, our starting quarterback got knocked out early in the season so I filled in for him the rest of the way. I even remember way back in little league asking my coaches to put me at all these different spots. They let me do it because that’s what I wanted.”

In addition to his versatility, Cox (6-0, 220) is proud to be a Blue Darter. He won a state title as a sophomore and he’s following in a long line of success.

“It’s special for me to play hear and our team is special to this community also,” Cox said. “We’ve had all these great players, like Warren Sapp in the hall of fame. I look up to all of them and it’s amazing to follow in their footsteps. We train harder than any school and I think it shows. We get guys who try and transfer in but they don’t last because they can’t handle the workouts.”

Cox is currently sitting on ten offers from Alabama, Auburn, Boston College, Duke, Florida, Florida State, Kentucky, Miami, Nebraska, and New Mexico. A recent influx of new attention convinced him that he wasn’t quite ready to commit.

“I should make my decision in the summer, between May and July, but as long as it’s before my senior season,” Cox said. “I almost committed to Florida not too long ago but I decided it’s best to visit places I haven’t been before first. I’ll go up to Auburn and Alabama in a few weeks. I’m trying to get back to all the Florida schools again, Kentucky, and probably Nebraska too.”

Cox took an unofficial visit to Miami back in June and they officially joined the mix in his recruitment on Monday.

“Coach Darlington told me it would be a good idea to call Coach Brown from Miami,” Cox said. “He offered me over the phone and they think I could help them win a national title. It was pretty cool to get the offer and it’s always good to hear something like that from college coaches.”

Cox is impressed with the opportunities he would have, both during and after, a potential career as a Hurricane.

“I think a lot of NFL people come from there and then get drafted,” Cox said. “Brandon Meriweather and Warren Sapp went there from Apopka. It’s a special program with great tradition. It’s really nice down there too, I visited last summer. It was for a camp but I couldn’t do it because I had a dislocated elbow.”

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/In-State-ATH-Chandler-Cox-is-Mr-Versatility-176985

Advertisement
If Gayot is a take, then this kid will have a place to play here. Beast.

That said, he looks like a linebacker or fullback.

Advertisement
Back