At the risk of starting WW3, can someone take stock of DT...

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
I hope this doesn't turn into the same *****ing that we see ad nauseam on here - this isn't a thread for that please. I'm starting this thread because I simply don't get to follow recruiting quite as much as I used to and I feel like I don't know what's going on with our recruiting here.

So we have Ryan Fines, who seems like a coal shoveler type.
Who else do we have a legitimate shot at ???

I read the articles about us offering 5 and 4 star kids, but if any of them sound like they're guys we have a legitimate shot at, I've missed it. Most of them sound like pipe dream guys, that I'm seeing. Besides Fines, I can't even think of a DT that it sounds like we're likely to land.

I like hearing good things about Courtel and it sounds like Moten is a great type to follow Pierre but we need to hit THIS YEAR for post Wyche/Heurtelou a couple years from now. I know it's somewhat silly to look so far in the future, but DT recruiting hits/misses impacts 2-4 years down the road and I don't just have a ton of faith in us always being able to draw JUCO guys if we don't hit with some difference makers this year. I really want to avoid this deal where our entire seasons hinge on us getting in guys from Juco who the SEC is going after and always have a hard time getting into Miami.

Kyle, Pete, .... what's going to happen here?

Advertisement
I have nothing to offer on this subject except this:

First thing I thought of when I saw Fines' picture was Chuck Klingbeil.

We have Richard McIntosh, committed he is 6'4 270 and will play the same position as Anthony Moten

DT's with Miami in their top 5
  • Russell Ude 4* DT from Georgia, he will OV here. (Miami is in his top 2)
  • Joseph Wicker 4* DT from California, he will OV here.
  • Jeremiah Ledbetter 4* JUCO DT, he will OV here. (Miami is in the lead)
  • Kendrick Norton 4* NT from Jacksonville, he will OV here. (Miami is in his top 2)
  • Rasheem Green 5* DT from California, he will OV here.

How good is McIntosh, really? Is his realistic ceiling as a difference maker type or a guy who can hold his own taking some snaps?

We have Richard McIntosh, committed he is 6'4 270 and will play the same position as Anthony Moten

• Kendrick Norton 4* NT from Jacksonville, he will OV here. (Miami is in his top 2)

And we will be in the running for more dts as the months go on especially if we win on the field like we should

Advertisement

Appreciate the updates. Where are you getting the "top 2/in the lead" stuff from, direct quotes? I only ask because I quick searched these guys on 24/7 and between the 3 you have with us in top 2, there were zero crystal balls for Miami. (And Ude/Ledbetter were both composite 3 stars, not 4). Again, not trying to be a downer, just askin'. Thanks so much!

Norton seems like the only real nose in that bunch and he is a Jacksonville kid with all 8 crystal balls going to UF. Green probably isn't realistic, is it? The nose spot is the spot that has me concerned and I'm not sure I feel any better :p

Last edited:
There are currently 2 DT's committed and it looks like the staff is going hard after a few more.

2015 Returning DT's (7)
  1. RSR Ufomba Kamalu
  2. RSR Corey King
  3. SR Calvin Heurtelou
  4. SR Michael Wyche
  5. SR Earl Moore
  6. SO Anthony Moten
  7. SO Courtel Jenkins

If they land 2 of the 5 guys that has Miami in the top 5, that will give this team a total of 11 DT's for the 2015 season.

How good is McIntosh, really? Is his realistic ceiling as a difference maker type or a guy who can hold his own taking some snaps?

Most believe he is the best D-lineman in South Florida this cycle. He is a basketball player with HUGE upside.

There are currently 2 DT's committed and it looks like the staff is going hard after a few more.

2015 Returning DT's (7)
  1. RSR Ufomba Kamalu
  2. RSR Corey King
  3. SR Calvin Heurtelou
  4. SR Michael Wyche
  5. SR Earl Moore
  6. SO Anthony Moten
  7. SO Courtel Jenkins

If they land 2 of the 5 guys that has Miami in the top 5, that will give this team a total of 11 DT's for the 2015 season.

I'm more worried about 2016 when talking about landing HS DTs. Jenkins and Fines are the only NGs.

Advertisement

Appreciate the updates. Where are you getting the "top 2/in the lead" stuff from, direct quotes? I only ask because I quick searched these guys on 24/7 and between the 3 you have with us in top 2, there were zero crystal balls for Miami. (And Ude/Ledbetter were both composite 3 stars, not 4). Again, not trying to be a downer, just askin'. Thanks so much!

Norton seems like the only real nose in that bunch and he is a Jacksonville kid with all 8 crystal balls going to UF. Green probably isn't realistic, is it? The nose spot is the spot that has me concerned and I'm not sure I feel any better :p

All of the rankings are from Rivals and all of the positions were directly from quotes from interviews with those kids.

Ude told me they were recruiting him at rush end

Wicker we need to get him on campus

Norton is UF's to lose but we have made a lot of progress with him. Gotta win over the family on visit (could be said about every recruit)

Green is beyond a pipe dream

Most believe he is the best D-lineman in South Florida this cycle. He is a basketball player with HUGE upside.

Yeah this kid has great feet on the court and is a good athlete. He play the Olsen Pierre role but Fines is the nt

Advertisement
Russell Ude http://sports.yahoo.com/miami/football/recruiting/player-Russell-Ude-149458

He says he'll "most definitely" visit Miami.

"They're a team on the rise," Ude said. "They put guys in the NFL on a consistent basis. The coaches are real cool guys, I'm a priority to them. It's got great academics, a great location in Coral Gables and a good business school. It's got all the things I'm looking for."

Ude says UM is also a draw for him because the school has offered to take his best friend, RB/LB Quenton Bennett, as a preferred walkon.

Joseph Wicker http://sports.yahoo.com/miami/football/recruiting/player-Joseph-Wicker-153695

Long Beach (CA) Poly High School 4-star DE Joseph Wicker says he has five programs he's most interested in right now: Miami, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA and Washington.

"Miami, they're up there in the top, but those five are all even right now," Wicker said.

Jeremiah Ledbetter http://sports.yahoo.com/miami/football/recruiting/player-Jeremiah-Ledbetter-159630

Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College DE Jeremiah Ledbetter has the Hurricanes in his top three.
The other two programs he's serious about: Florida and Arkansas. "They're even, are in no particular order," he says. Ledbetter says he will announce a final decision this fall, and he'll take official visits to UM and UF - he's already taken his official to Arkansas.

*I can't find the interview where he talks about Miami being in the lead*

Kendrick Norton http://sports.yahoo.com/miami/football/recruiting/player-Kendrick-Norton-152142

It's been nearly two months since class of 2015 defensive tackle Kendrick Norton of Jacksonville (Fla.) Trinity Christian de-committed from Florida State, and now that the dust has settled there are two teams standing out to him - Florida and Miami.

"I feel comfortable with those two schools," said Norton, who stands at 6-foot-2, 292 pounds.

Rasheem Green https://rivals.yahoo.com/miami/football/recruiting/player-Rasheem-Green-149569;_ylt=AgHwBIpj5qG09afnCNrqCoVIspB4

"I'm looking at Oregon, Stanford, Oklahoma, Alabama and The U (Miami). I would love to see a game at those schools but it might be hard during the season so I might take some visits after the season but I'm not sure yet."

Sounds like we really need the Gators to tank and work on Norton, then pray that one of Wicker/Green are an AQM-esque surprise type deal (which I'm not expecting, obviously).

Advertisement
I just think that with our big need at dt and if we can win big this season especially in the first month with Louisville and Nebraska it will turn heads not just with these guys but others for us

2015 Returning DT's (7)
  1. RSR Ufomba Kamalu
  2. RSR Corey King
  3. SR Calvin Heurtelou
  4. SR Michael Wyche
  5. SR Earl Moore
  6. SO Anthony Moten
  7. SO Courtel Jenkins

Even more reason why this recruiting cycle is critical to land a couple of stud HS DTs (at least, imo). They RS in 2015 and ready to contribute in 2016.

Advertisement
Back