Assistant Coach Salary Arms Race

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Make no mistake, this is wholly unsustainable except for a few deep pocketed teams (Bama, UT, OSU, etc).

Hint: Miami and most others aren't members of that club.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...otball-assistant-coaches-salaries/2206867002/

Now, money doesn't guarantee performance, but it does give those "unlimited budget" programs certain measurable advantages.

If a salary cap/luxury tax isn't placed on D1P5 programs, my guess you will see a further split into a few "super league" teams and the TCUs, Miami, USC, UCLAs, Duke, etc...occupy a Tier 1a type of status.

Advertisement
For perspective...

Miami offering ANY assistant coach $1MM places them 22nd for pay.

22nd.

To be an ASSISTANT COACH.

The math is going to self-correct one day.

Yeah i read that today. Why would aranda ever want to be a head coach when he can command that kind of money. He doesn't deal with the scrutiny and media garbage and the opinion of LSU is that without that incredible defense they have they'd be awful. He's got the perfect gig.

Tax money from state sponsored universities that are committed to football as a top priority. Notre Dames with their massive endowments and contributions the only exception.

Only difference is there are a larger number of young assistant coaches available than proven HCs.... it will even itself out.

Advertisement
We can offer 1m for an OC, were ok. also need ACC network to kick in adding xtra $$$$
look at playoffs in year 5 Bama & Clemson 5 appearances Oklahoma 4 times,OSU 3 or 4
realistically you have maybe 6+ teams that have the cash and spend it wisely and these our playoff schools
how many ex HC does Nick have on payroll ????
Fla, Michigan have $$$ do not spend it yet, LSU has it spends it but spends poorly
if you put all the support staff that Nick and Dabo have and put it in the game day program it would raise price 2.00$ a copy

Bill Bedenbaugh makes 600k at Oklahoma. He personally designed the Oklahoma offense alongside Lincoln Riley (both learned the Air Raid from the Pullman Pirate). Riley calls the plays for the Sooners, but Bedenbaugh wants to be a playcalling OC (he'd like to eventually be a HC one day, knows he needs to call plays somewhere first). He has been actively looking for any team to give him an opportunity.

Riley is almost certainly leaving after the season and I doubt that Oklahoma will elevate Bedenbaugh to HC. Perfect opportunity to give him a two year deal, and he'd cost less than 1 million. I think Miami has a shot at ACC title his first year, and national championship his 2nd. Then he probably leaves for HC position.

It's a win all the way around- Rick doesn't have to make any tough decisions and fire his son or Searles. Bedenbaugh will really be in charge of OL, but Searles can be his monkey boy. Rick Jr would learn the ins and outs of the Oklahoma offense (aka the South Beach Spread) from Bedenbaugh and would actually learn an offensive system that is competitive in the 21st century, making him more employable as a future OC and possibly HC (which is why Rick Sr really took the Miami job).

No downside, affordable, and solves pretty much every glaring problem from OL recruiting to scheme, which is why it will never happen.

Totally out of control. There's D1P5 HC's making more than NFL HC's. Those with the deepest pockets will continue to dominate the landscape for "elite" assistants. Sabag has set a standard that's difficult to replicate for most programs.

Even when Sabag finally gives up the ghost, the precedent will have been so ingrained it will probably not change.

This, in combination with the 'analyst' role now in vogue at a few major programs, threatens to unbalance and ruin college football as a whole.

There's always been cheating, there's always been 'blue blood' programs that are more attractive to kids, yet, to an extent, there's been a degree of parity, where coaching and recruiting well matters.

We are approaching a point where, due to an in balance in resources, as well as tactics like institutionalized signal stealing and failure to adhere to NCAA rules about contact with players, where college football has become a sham.

Advertisement
But is it really unsustainable? Any Power 5 team getting decent shoe contract money AND money from a conference network tv deal shouldn't have any problem keeping up.

The joke is when "football revenues" of football schools aren't directly tied to those monies from tv and apparel as if Penn State basketball or LSU baseball is equally responsible for bring those funds to their institutions.

Make no mistake, this is wholly unsustainable except for a few deep pocketed teams (Bama, UT, OSU, etc).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...otball-assistant-coaches-salaries/2206867002/

Now, money doesn't guarantee performance, but it does give those "unlimited budget" programs certain measurable advantages.

If a salary cap/luxury tax isn't placed on D1P5 programs, my guess you will see a further split into a few "super league" teams and the TCUs, Miami, USC, UCLAs, Duke, etc...occupy a Tier 1a type of status.

Long term, it does guarantee performance. If you've got the cash you just keep dumping guys until you find one who can do the job.

This is what you need to know about where Miami stands on this...

When you could hire a 10th staff member...Ohio State hires Alex Grinch, the former DC of Washington State and Alabama hired Pete Golding, the former DC of UTSA (a fast rising coach in college football).

Miami hired Patke.

This game might not be for us anymore. The price of the brick went up and we can't afford it.

Unless we want to play the game as it has evolved and in a meaningful way, we will be a marginally successful program that begins to settle for a 10-2 season. No thank you. Indoor practice facility is table stakes.

Also reinforces my belief college football has grown beyond what now seems quaintly humorous notion of amateur athletics. NFL needs to establish a club system.

The market is there.

Advertisement

When you could hire a 10th staff member...Ohio State hires Alex Grinch, the former DC of Washington State and Alabama hired Pete Golding, the former DC of UTSA (a fast rising coach in college football).

Miami hired Patke.

This game might not be for us anymore. The price of the brick went up and we can't afford it.
I see your point and agree, but our LBs and the Striker position played very well this year. Yes, I don't think that tenth coach should have been LBs or Patke, but they performed the best I've seen in awhile.

Miami hired Patke.

Naw, it was just a lazy hire by richt when he could have upgraded the staff. Seriously doubt it had anything to do with money

Naw, it was just a lazy hire by richt when he could have upgraded the staff. Seriously doubt it had anything to do with money
With all the recruiting issues that occurred in Baylor do you guys really think that UM would hire Briles? I would love to bring him onboard. I also know that he is on the Vols wish list as well.

Advertisement
With all the recruiting issues that occurred in Baylor do you guys really think that UM would hire Briles? I would love to bring him onboard. I also know that he is on the Vols wish list as well.
FSU is talking to him too. We could have done something, **** we had mark helferich at spring practices in 2017, could have tried to go after him

Last edited:

Duke could literally buy Alabama, UGA, and OSU without breaking the bank. USC is also up there. If Duke decided they wanted to go all in on football money would not be the issue.

That said I agree with your main point.

Advertisement
Back