Ask yourself: Why was Boston College's Defense so dominant?

BC 2015 football schedule

Sept. 5 Maine
Sept. 12 Howard
Sept. 18 (Friday) Florida State * ESPN/ESPN2
Sept. 26 Northern Illinois
Oct. 3 at Duke *
Oct. 10 Wake Forest *
Oct. 17 at Clemson *
Oct. 24 at Louisville *
Oct. 31 Virginia Tech
Nov. 7 NC State
Nov. 14 OPEN
Nov. 21 at Notre Dame *(Fenway Park)
Nov. 28 at Syracuse *

Gave up 30+ points once...to Clemson. PURE defense kept them in that game. Clemson lead 17-10 at halftime...in Clemson. We gave up 58 to Clemson. BC held FSU and ND to under 20 points.

We have all the ingredients to be a very good defense this year.

Define "very good defense" ? We were #86 in the country last year giving up 5.78 yds/play. How much better do you expect to be this year?

Top 30!

Also begs the question "better at what?" Yds/play? Total yards? Points allowed? Sacks? Turnover margin? I think our yards per game average will be better, but not worlds better.

I think our ppg allowance should go down fairly significantly - we were 86th last year in scoring defense giving up 30 ppg. I think we should see somewhere in the mid-20s this year, hopefully better (that'd be top 35-45 last year, for reference - a jump of 40ish spots.)

Where I wager you'll really see a difference is in rush defense (we were 106th last year), red zone defense (107th) and sacks per game (70th.) We were good for 2 sacks/game last year. I'd like to see that number up closer to 2.5-3, which would put us in the top 10-25.

Just some different ways to measure a good defense.

The ones I'll be looking at the closest are red zone defense, sacks per game, TFL, and... 3RD DOWN DEFENSE! All for different indicators, of course.

I'm not sure if our PPG defense will really improve all that much. We should play faster on offense.

3rd down D is a big one I expect to improve. I hope to see fewer ppg just because 30 is way too high for anybody. If we're still giving up 30 ppg at the end of the season with our schedule...

Advertisement
BC 2015 football schedule

Sept. 5 Maine
Sept. 12 Howard
Sept. 18 (Friday) Florida State * ESPN/ESPN2
Sept. 26 Northern Illinois
Oct. 3 at Duke *
Oct. 10 Wake Forest *
Oct. 17 at Clemson *
Oct. 24 at Louisville *
Oct. 31 Virginia Tech
Nov. 7 NC State
Nov. 14 OPEN
Nov. 21 at Notre Dame *(Fenway Park)
Nov. 28 at Syracuse *

Gave up 30+ points once...to Clemson. PURE defense kept them in that game. Clemson lead 17-10 at halftime...in Clemson. We gave up 58 to Clemson. BC held FSU and ND to under 20 points.

We have all the ingredients to be a very good defense this year.

Define "very good defense" ? We were #86 in the country last year giving up 5.78 yds/play. How much better do you expect to be this year?

1. Better Coaching
2. Better Scheme
3. Better Technique
4. An offense that can sustain drives, which allows the defense to get proper rest during games
5. An offense that can score, which challenge the defense to prevent the opposition from scoring
6. Barring serious injury, we will field a very talented defense every week

These things will produce a very defense.

Top 30!

Also begs the question "better at what?" Yds/play? Total yards? Points allowed? Sacks? Turnover margin? I think our yards per game average will be better, but not worlds better.

I think our ppg allowance should go down fairly significantly - we were 86th last year in scoring defense giving up 30 ppg. I think we should see somewhere in the mid-20s this year, hopefully better (that'd be top 35-45 last year, for reference - a jump of 40ish spots.)

Where I wager you'll really see a difference is in rush defense (we were 106th last year), red zone defense (107th) and sacks per game (70th.) We were good for 2 sacks/game last year. I'd like to see that number up closer to 2.5-3, which would put us in the top 10-25.

Just some different ways to measure a good defense.

The ones I'll be looking at the closest are red zone defense, sacks per game, TFL, and... 3RD DOWN DEFENSE! All for different indicators, of course.

I'm not sure if our PPG defense will really improve all that much. We should play faster on offense.

3rd down D is a big one I expect to improve. I hope to see fewer ppg just because 30 is way too high for anybody. If we're still giving up 30 ppg at the end of the season with our schedule...

I agree that we can't give up 30 a game. I don't think we will.

I think the Offense will keep the Defense off the field to the point where the Defense is screaming, "Hurry Offense! We want to play."

Well BC's offense was so awful that they went 3-9 even though their defense was the best in the nation. And 2 of their wins were over FCS teams.

Advertisement
Georgia Tech total rushing yards so far (early 4th quarter): 31 attempts 86 yards 2.8avg 1td 18 long

14-7 BC leads.

Last edited:
Why is everybody talking about BC's defense without mentioning how awful their offense is? Last I checked there are 2 sides of the ball to a football game.

BC decided to make their offense even more atrocious this offseason by hiring Scott Loeffler. I am not joking one tiny bit when I say that Loeffler is a worse offensive coordinator than even Patrick Nix.

Why is everybody talking about BC's defense without mentioning how awful their offense is? Last I checked there are 2 sides of the ball to a football game.

BC decided to make their offense even more atrocious this offseason by hiring Scott Loeffler. I am not joking one tiny bit when I say that Loeffler is a worse offensive coordinator than even Patrick Nix.
Well the thread title suggests why their D is being discussed

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back