Asante Samuel

You literally misread everything i posted. I said 7DB's is doable but 8DB's is asking for trouble down the line so the whole paragraph you wrote is pointless. Comparing DB"s to the QB position is dumb. It's been reported over 65% of P5 QB commits end up transferring from their original school so the position is recruited entirely different than every other position.

Also Michael Jackson is NOT getting pushed out.

I said SHOULD not be on the team. I have no way of knowing, nor do you. And those guys leaving could be as simple as seeing this 2018 DB class we have assembled and wanting to transfer so they will get PT. So its not neccessarily being PUSHED out, as much as just leaving. Again 8 is fine. Obviously its too much every year. And if you do it often its not good. But you clearly have not been actually looking at who we have at DB. Also you completely assume they will all be leaving at the same time, which would cause problems. But again, You don't know how many are going to redshirt. You don't know if any would declare for the draft early (and I certainly would expect one or two to) You really don't know. These things typically have a way of working themselves out. But what is non-debateable is that these 8 guys we've been talking about are all worth the scholarship. They are all better than Henderson/Edwards last class. And most likely they are all better than most of the 2019 guys. This is an elite 2018 DB year. So we should take as many as we can given our depth chart at the position isn't too good for the future.

You're taking away spots from DT/TE/RB/OT. All of which need way more help than we need an 8th DB. Period. Everyone who tries to justify taking 8 DB's says "things will work themselves out" which is essentially admitting that you're taking 8 guys just to take 8 guys and it's almost assured some will leave for one reason or another. DT and OT in general are position where kids need more time to develop than DB so adding them to this class is paramount. We can't continue to rely on freshman lineman to plug holes in our depth chart.

Dude we got 5 OL last class. Getting 4 OL this class is a lot, so I don't know what your talking about. It's not like I said only get 2 OL. I said get 4. And you never really get more than 5 in a class. So sure maybe we get 5 in this class. But we wont be rejecting a guy like Tyreke for that extra lineman.
At DL is said 5! what more do you want. I really don't get it dude. We're only losing 3 to graduation. So if anything 5 DL might be a little overkill. But I personally want 2 DE's every class and 2 DTs every class. But this yr I think we need 3 DTs.
And RB we are getting 2. So again, what the **** are you talking about. How many do you want? 4? If 2 top RB is Lingard and Davis doesn't make you happy Idk what to tell you. You're talking about overloading at DB which has 5 positions, yet you want us to take more than 2 RBs in a yr? are you joking.
Honestly TE is the only reasonable position you are talking about "taking spots away from" but even that i specifically mentioned we might get 2.

So try again.

If you're happy with Burns and Gray being our 4th and 5 options at RB next year there is really no sense in arguing with you. We're losing 3 DL to graduation but potentially 2-3 more for early NFL considerations. So again you're way off.

We're way closer to having Burns and Gray getting reps than we'll ever be to having our 16th DB see the field.

Burns' only problem is injuries. So, yeah I am happy with having him as a 4th RB. And the 5th RB is never used, so I'd be more than okay with Gray being that guy.
2018: Homer, Lingard, Davis, Burns, Gray is a quality backfield.
Then in 2019 we sign another 2 RBs.
Plus Deejay Dallas is essentially an athlete and will play WR or DB depending on how he is needed, and imo can definitely play RB if we need the depth.
two RBs this year is definitely enough. We don't NEED 3 this yr, especially when the 2019 class has some really good backs.

Thats what yall not understanding. if the class is absolutely stacked at a position you load up. We're getting 7 or 8 DBs this yr.

Advertisement
I said SHOULD not be on the team. I have no way of knowing, nor do you. And those guys leaving could be as simple as seeing this 2018 DB class we have assembled and wanting to transfer so they will get PT. So its not neccessarily being PUSHED out, as much as just leaving. Again 8 is fine. Obviously its too much every year. And if you do it often its not good. But you clearly have not been actually looking at who we have at DB. Also you completely assume they will all be leaving at the same time, which would cause problems. But again, You don't know how many are going to redshirt. You don't know if any would declare for the draft early (and I certainly would expect one or two to) You really don't know. These things typically have a way of working themselves out. But what is non-debateable is that these 8 guys we've been talking about are all worth the scholarship. They are all better than Henderson/Edwards last class. And most likely they are all better than most of the 2019 guys. This is an elite 2018 DB year. So we should take as many as we can given our depth chart at the position isn't too good for the future.

You're taking away spots from DT/TE/RB/OT. All of which need way more help than we need an 8th DB. Period. Everyone who tries to justify taking 8 DB's says "things will work themselves out" which is essentially admitting that you're taking 8 guys just to take 8 guys and it's almost assured some will leave for one reason or another. DT and OT in general are position where kids need more time to develop than DB so adding them to this class is paramount. We can't continue to rely on freshman lineman to plug holes in our depth chart.

Dude we got 5 OL last class. Getting 4 OL this class is a lot, so I don't know what your talking about. It's not like I said only get 2 OL. I said get 4. And you never really get more than 5 in a class. So sure maybe we get 5 in this class. But we wont be rejecting a guy like Tyreke for that extra lineman.
At DL is said 5! what more do you want. I really don't get it dude. We're only losing 3 to graduation. So if anything 5 DL might be a little overkill. But I personally want 2 DE's every class and 2 DTs every class. But this yr I think we need 3 DTs.
And RB we are getting 2. So again, what the **** are you talking about. How many do you want? 4? If 2 top RB is Lingard and Davis doesn't make you happy Idk what to tell you. You're talking about overloading at DB which has 5 positions, yet you want us to take more than 2 RBs in a yr? are you joking.
Honestly TE is the only reasonable position you are talking about "taking spots away from" but even that i specifically mentioned we might get 2.

So try again.

If you're happy with Burns and Gray being our 4th and 5 options at RB next year there is really no sense in arguing with you. We're losing 3 DL to graduation but potentially 2-3 more for early NFL considerations. So again you're way off.

We're way closer to having Burns and Gray getting reps than we'll ever be to having our 16th DB see the field.

Burns' only problem is injuries. So, yeah I am happy with having him as a 4th RB. And the 5th RB is never used, so I'd be more than okay with Gray being that guy.
Plus Deejay Dallas is essentially an athlete and will play WR or DB depending on how he is needed, and imo can definitely play RB if we need the depth.
two RBs this year is definitely enough. We don't NEED 3 this yr, especially when the 2019 class has some really good backs.

Thats what yall not understanding. if the class is absolutely stacked at a position you load up. We're getting 7 or 8 DBs this yr.

Lol kid has like less than 100 carries his whole HS career. Injuries are the only thing you can count on him for at this point his talent is just speculation. You using DJ as an example is funny because he's more likely to be the DB you think we're missing much more than him being a RB. Keep talking in circles though this is fun.

Remember in 2007 when we took 7 WR's and then took 0 in 2008. Then we had Bosher our punter out playing WR? Overloading creates just as many problems as it solves.

*It spreads coaching thinner trying to coach up all those new guys at once.
*It increases chances of transfers and tarnishing reputations with the local HS you recruited from (wasted resources and schollies)
*It creates a 2019 DB recruiting problem (way harder to sell kids to commmit to an overloaded young roster)
* It creates a 2021/22 mass exodus problem if you aren't able to redshirt/retain/and recruit 2019 properly
* You can only put so many DB's on the field, we could use help at TE, OT, DT,RB much more than an 8th DB.

How the **** are you figuring Jobe a 2019 commit? Kids not even allowed to play HS because he's so old.

Bosher never played WR...

Punter Brian Monroe did however, while Kyle Wright was our QB a year or 2 before the 2008 class (Shannon's first class) that was ranked #1 and had I believe 7 WRs in it.

So your post makes no sense.

His post makes no sense because comparing WR to DB is a big mistake. There are twice as many DB positions as there are WR positions...unless you're running 4 wide every play, which we don't.

two safeties and 2 corners, with an additional nickel corner over 50% of the time. compared to 2 or 3 wrs. Its really not too great of a comparison.
Getting 7 (or 8 if one of the elite guys like Tyreke wants in) is no problem at all. It puts us in a position where we get about 2-4 DBs the next few years.

Let's take 8 in 2018, then 2 in 2019 if you can even convince anyone to commit to that loaded roster. Than in 2020 after 2+ 2018 kids transfer you're back to ****** depth because you're 2018 overloaded class led to a small 2019 class and 25% of your 2018 class left.

You guys really need to stop smoking brick weed. There aint no way in **** you're going to add more than 2 big names like Tyreke, Cambell, and Samuel to the list below without people dropping. When you're done writing your wish list to santa and come back to reality let me know.

Russel
Garvin
Blades
Ivey
Jobe
Frierson

No one is saying we need to add 2 more big names. We all want one more - Campbell. But if another one of them wants in, please tell me why on earth we would say no to an elite guy. And just because we're loading up doesn't mean **** until they prove something on the field. You really are being ridiculous. Look at our DB depth chart and tell me why exactly 7 is too many. Because when I look at it, I think Mayes, Jackson, Henley, and Knowles should not be on the team. And If Amari Carter jumps Finley in the depth chart, I could see him transferring out, especially after the 2018 class comes in. And by that time Redwine, Jaquan, and Dean will be Seniors.

And your idea that if we get 7 dbs we wont be able to get 2 guys for the 2019 class is just ridiculous. How are we able to get a QB this yr seeing as how we signed 2 last year, and have another 3 potential starters already on the roster? And thats for a position that only has 1 starter, not 5. Again, signing 7 DBs is not a problem in this class.
I thought the bold portion was a cop out, at least that is what you said before.

So try again.

Lol kid has like less than 100 carries his whole HS career. Injuries are the only thing you can count on him for at this point his talent is just speculation. You using DJ as an example is funny because he's more likely to be the DB you think we're missing much more than him being a RB. Keep talking in circles though this is fun.

What exactly am i talking in circles about. It is a fact that this staff likes Burns. His biggest problem is injuries. Those are just facts. Burns if he didn't have injury problems could probably beat out Homer this yr. Dudes pretty freaky.

And Deejay is at WR now. But he will play whatever we need him to play. If a bunch of guys get hurt at RB he can fill in there. And next year we're going to have even better depth at RB than we do this yr. So again, How is taking 2 RBs bad. You're the one talking about how 8 DBs is too much (split over 5 positions), yet you want 3 RBs in this class, when we only have 1 leaving, and there is not even a guarantee that Walton leaves early.

You're definitely being ridiculous saying we can't take 8 Dbs. And Ivey isn't going to be pushed out. none of these dbs are going to be pushed out from this class. I can see one of them just leaving because signing 8 is a lot, but not being pushed out. Again, I've clearly shown you we have space to take 8 DBs. You can not like it all you want, but it does NOT create problems for us in the future. Now if this class weren't absolutely loaded, would it make sense to sign this many? **** no. But this class is so stacked that its worth it to sign 8 this yr, and between 2 and 4 the next two classes.

Advertisement
Bosher never played WR...

Punter Brian Monroe did however, while Kyle Wright was our QB a year or 2 before the 2008 class (Shannon's first class) that was ranked #1 and had I believe 7 WRs in it.

So your post makes no sense.

His post makes no sense because comparing WR to DB is a big mistake. There are twice as many DB positions as there are WR positions...unless you're running 4 wide every play, which we don't.

two safeties and 2 corners, with an additional nickel corner over 50% of the time. compared to 2 or 3 wrs. Its really not too great of a comparison.
Getting 7 (or 8 if one of the elite guys like Tyreke wants in) is no problem at all. It puts us in a position where we get about 2-4 DBs the next few years.

Let's take 8 in 2018, then 2 in 2019 if you can even convince anyone to commit to that loaded roster. Than in 2020 after 2+ 2018 kids transfer you're back to ****** depth because you're 2018 overloaded class led to a small 2019 class and 25% of your 2018 class left.

You guys really need to stop smoking brick weed. There aint no way in **** you're going to add more than 2 big names like Tyreke, Cambell, and Samuel to the list below without people dropping. When you're done writing your wish list to santa and come back to reality let me know.

Russel
Garvin
Blades
Ivey
Jobe
Frierson

No one is saying we need to add 2 more big names. We all want one more - Campbell. But if another one of them wants in, please tell me why on earth we would say no to an elite guy. And just because we're loading up doesn't mean **** until they prove something on the field. You really are being ridiculous. Look at our DB depth chart and tell me why exactly 7 is too many. Because when I look at it, I think Mayes, Jackson, Henley, and Knowles should not be on the team. And If Amari Carter jumps Finley in the depth chart, I could see him transferring out, especially after the 2018 class comes in. And by that time Redwine, Jaquan, and Dean will be Seniors.

And your idea that if we get 7 dbs we wont be able to get 2 guys for the 2019 class is just ridiculous. How are we able to get a QB this yr seeing as how we signed 2 last year, and have another 3 potential starters already on the roster? And thats for a position that only has 1 starter, not 5. Again, signing 7 DBs is not a problem in this class.
I thought the bold portion was a cop out, at least that is what you said before.

how? im saying that the pure numbers don't matter as much as what they do matters. If all 7/8 of them ball out as freshman, then it probably will drive some 2019 DBs away...not to the point we cant get any, but i can see the point. But if none of the 7/8 do anything remarkable as freshman, top 2019 dbs could think they can win a starting job early.

I'm not using a cop out at all. I'm just saying whether its 7 or 8 doesn't matter from the 2019 class' perspective. whether we sign 7 or 8 we will be signing between 2 and 4 the next couple years. most likely 5 total the next 2 classes. But again, this wouldn't be terrible or whatever that other dude would have you believe. We'll be in a perfectly fine situation.

We have 6 DBs already committed...

Josh Jobe
Gurvan Hall
Randy Russell

... are the safeties.

Gilbert Frierson
DJ Ivey
Al Blades Jr

.... are the cornerbacks.

Tyson Campbell and Tyreke Johnson are both takes if they want to commit regardless of the numbers. Jobe is a basically a 2019 commit and all the staff has to do is redshirt 1 safety and 1 or 2 corners. I dont see how a scenario like that would mess up our roster management and create a mass exodus like some are alluding too??

So try again.

What exactly am i talking in circles about. It is a fact that this staff likes Burns. His biggest problem is injuries. Those are just facts. Burns if he didn't have injury problems could probably beat out Homer this yr. Dudes pretty freaky.

And Deejay is at WR now. But he will play whatever we need him to play. If a bunch of guys get hurt at RB he can fill in there. And next year we're going to have even better depth at RB than we do this yr. So again, How is taking 2 RBs bad. You're the one talking about how 8 DBs is too much (split over 5 positions), yet you want 3 RBs in this class, when we only have 1 leaving, and there is not even a guarantee that Walton leaves early.

You're definitely being ridiculous saying we can't take 8 Dbs. And Ivey isn't going to be pushed out. none of these dbs are going to be pushed out from this class. I can see one of them just leaving because signing 8 is a lot, but not being pushed out. Again, I've clearly shown you we have space to take 8 DBs. You can not like it all you want, but it does NOT create problems for us in the future. Now if this class weren't absolutely loaded, would it make sense to sign this many? **** no. But this class is so stacked that its worth it to sign 8 this yr, and between 2 and 4 the next two classes.

This is what happens when your mom tell you that you're smart and handsome too many times. You actually start to believe it^.

You want to know the facts about Burns and Homer i'll break it down for you sweetheart.

Burns Top SPARQ Score 99.69 (in 2014 because he's never been healthy enough to make it back)
40 time 4.57
Shuttle 4.41
Vert 42
Power Throw 41

Career Stats
Games PLAYED 8
145 yds 3.8YPC 2TDs

Homer Top SPARQ Score 126.51
40 time 4.48
Shuttle 4.03
Vert 37.8
Power Throw 40

Career HS stats
3220 yds 7.8YPC 41tds.

Burns's biggest accomplishment is receiving a D1 scholarship based entirely off his build and 1 sparq score 3 years ago.

The kid has 8 ******* games under his belt and 48 injuries and you think he's going to unseat homer.

Last edited:

This is what happens when your mom tell you that you're smart and handsome too many times. You actually start to believe it^.

You want to know the facts about Burns and Homer i'll break it down for you sweetheart.

Burns Top SPARQ Score 99.69 (in 2014 because he's never been healthy enough to make it back)
40 time 4.57
Shuttle 4.41
Vert 42
Power Throw 41

Career Stats
Games PLAYED 8
145 yds 3.8YPC 2TDs

40 time 4.48
Shuttle 4.03
Vert 37.8
Power Throw 40

Career HS stats
3220 yds 7.8YPC 41tds.

Burns's biggest accomplishment is receiving a D1 scholarship based entirely off his build and 1 sparq score 3 years ago.

The kid has 8 ******* games under his belt and 48 injuries and you think he's going to unseat homer.

Yeah meanwhile ESPN had him as the #108 overall prospect, and he was invited to the 2017 Under Armour All American game. Even while injured.

And secondly Robert Burns had a SPARQ score of 122.91. As a 15 yr old freshman he posted a SPARQ rating of 118.26 at the Miami regional. So you are completely wrong. and a 42" vert at 220lbs is ******* amazing. He's an elite athlete. Football Recruiting - Robert Burns - Player Profiles - ESPN

Dudes a ******* beast when healthy. I'd take Burns as a 4th RB every day.

also your career stats are also a lie about burns. he had 1200 yrds and 15tds: Robert Burns Bio - University of Miami Hurricanes Official Athletic Site

Advertisement

40 time 4.57
Shuttle 4.41
Vert 42
Power Throw 41

Career Stats
Games PLAYED 8
145 yds 3.8YPC 2TDs

40 time 4.48
Shuttle 4.03
Vert 37.8
Power Throw 40

Career HS stats
3220 yds 7.8YPC 41tds.

The kid has 8 ****ing games under his belt and 48 injuries and you think he's going to unseat homer.

Yeah meanwhile ESPN had him as the #108 overall prospect, and he was invited to the 2017 Under Armour All American game. Even while injured.

And secondly Robert Burns had a SPARQ score of 122.91. As a 15 yr old freshman he posted a SPARQ rating of 118.26 at the Miami regional. So you are completely wrong. and a 42" vert at 220lbs is ****ing amazing. He's an elite athlete. Football Recruiting - Robert Burns - Player Profiles - ESPN

Dudes a ****ing beast when healthy. I'd take Burns as a 4th RB every day.

also your career stats are also a lie about burns. he had 1200 yrds and 15tds: Robert Burns Bio - University of Miami Hurricanes Official Athletic Site

Honestly i'm trying to not to laugh. Invited to the game when they knew he couldn't play. Story of his career. Counting on him to be your 4th back is like waiting on your nigerian lottery check to clear.

Last edited:

Russel
Garvin
Blades
Ivey
Jobe
Frierson

how?

Ya, I wondered the same thing when you said it before, makes you using that as some sort of prop for whatever you are arguing now funny though. Especially when you followed it up with something retarded like "we might as well just sign one stars since nothing is certain until they hit the field anyway"

Carry on.

8 DB's is overkill. Take Blades and Campbell and close shop and get Dent back on board for 2019.

I hate that old saying wait til next year. No one knows what happens next year. Dent can't sign an LOI for next year. It's not guaranteed. You take studs when you can and worry about next year, next year.

7 DBs is plenty. No depth issues with 7 DBs. You create roster issues and recruiting difficulties when you overload a spot like that. 7 is plenty.

Except that its not just "a spot"...its 2 spots. Taking 8 DBs is essentially 4 per position.

I'm all for going after the best players available but there's definitely some negative consequences of over signing one position. For every extra DB they sign, that takes away one scholarship for another position. It's great to stack chips but do you want to get stuck with three healthy DTs while you have 10 CBs on your roster? Secondly, there's only so much playing time to go around. Inevitably, there's going to be some odd men out. Yes, they can transfer and open a roster spot but you still only get 25 scholarships a year, max. You don't get the lost one you spent on the guy who transferred back. Also it might make recruiting at that position very hard for the next couple of years. If your a DB prospect considering playing at Miami, you're not going to be excited by the prospect of having 6 or 7 guys ahead of you on the depth chart that aren't going to done for at least two or three more years.

It's tough when there's so much talent at one spot in one year but you can't go crazy over signing players because it will hurt the overall roster depth in coming years.

Dammit guys its not one position. DBs are broken into 2 positions...safety and corner. That's 4-5 or even 6 spots that could be on the field at the same time. Why is everyone not understanding this?

Why don't we break it down this way so people stop pretending this is just one small position group?

CBs - Blades, Ivey, Gilbert could be either
S - Jobe, Russell, Hall

So we currently have 3 committed for each spot. Its not a terrible situation to take 4 at each...relax.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We have 6 DBs already committed...

Josh Jobe
Gurvan Hall
Randy Russell

... are the safeties.

Gilbert Frierson
DJ Ivey
Al Blades Jr

.... are the cornerbacks.

Tyson Campbell and Tyreke Johnson are both takes if they want to commit regardless of the numbers. Jobe is a basically a 2019 commit and all the staff has to do is redshirt 1 safety and 1 or 2 corners. I dont see how a scenario like that would mess up our roster management and create a mass exodus like some are alluding too??
It wouldn't. They're thinking of 1 position rather than 2 and you could break it down further between SS and FS and slot corner vs on the outside. I'm guessing we could take fewer numbers in 2019 and then more again in 2020 in the defensive backfield.

40 time 4.57
Shuttle 4.41
Vert 42
Power Throw 41

Career Stats
Games PLAYED 8
145 yds 3.8YPC 2TDs

40 time 4.48
Shuttle 4.03
Vert 37.8
Power Throw 40

Career HS stats
3220 yds 7.8YPC 41tds.

The kid has 8 ****ing games under his belt and 48 injuries and you think he's going to unseat homer.

And secondly Robert Burns had a SPARQ score of 122.91. As a 15 yr old freshman he posted a SPARQ rating of 118.26 at the Miami regional. So you are completely wrong. and a 42" vert at 220lbs is ****ing amazing. He's an elite athlete. Football Recruiting - Robert Burns - Player Profiles - ESPN

Honestly i'm trying to not to laugh. Invited to the game when they knew he couldn't play. Story of his career. Counting on him to be your 4th back is like waiting on your nigerian lottery check to clear.

Yeah this is about the response I expected. How can you respond with anything else, when I just checked you with the irrefutable facts that you were lying about.
Anyways, 2 RBs this class is good. Burns will be good if he can stay healthy, and is a great athlete. And 8 DBs would not be overdoing it in a class absolutely stacked with DB talent.

Advertisement

40 time 4.57
Shuttle 4.41
Vert 42
Power Throw 41

Career Stats
Games PLAYED 8
145 yds 3.8YPC 2TDs

40 time 4.48
Shuttle 4.03
Vert 37.8
Power Throw 40

Career HS stats
3220 yds 7.8YPC 41tds.

Yeah this is about the response I expected. How can you respond with anything else, when I just checked you with the irrefutable facts that you were lying about.
Anyways, 2 RBs this class is good. Burns will be good if he can stay healthy, and is a great athlete. And 8 DBs would not be overdoing it in a class absolutely stacked with DB talent.

I'm happy that 900 yards in varsity football is your benchmark to consider a kid elite. If you want we can meet for snow cones and i'll give you a yellow participation ribbon for your efforts.

So try again.

Wow are you going to be in for an awakening. You have no idea what you're talking about. Homer is light years ahead of burns in ability. Homer if given the chance could take Walton's job. Yes he's that good.

Advertisement
Back