Asante Samuel

How is loading up on elite DBs not "the right way" to fix our depth issues?? Josh Jobe is technically a 2019 commit and 1 or 2 more would obviously redshirt, issue resolved.

Remember in 2007 when we took 7 WR's and then took 0 in 2008. Then we had Bosher our punter out playing WR? Overloading creates just as many problems as it solves.

*It spreads coaching thinner trying to coach up all those new guys at once.
*It increases chances of transfers and tarnishing reputations with the local HS you recruited from (wasted resources and schollies)
*It creates a 2019 DB recruiting problem (way harder to sell kids to commmit to an overloaded young roster)
* It creates a 2021/22 mass exodus problem if you aren't able to redshirt/retain/and recruit 2019 properly
* You can only put so many DB's on the field, we could use help at TE, OT, DT,RB much more than an 8th DB.

How the **** are you figuring Jobe a 2019 commit? Kids not even allowed to play HS because he's so old.

Bosher never played WR...

Punter Brian Monroe did however, while Kyle Wright was our QB a year or 2 before the 2008 class (Shannon's first class) that was ranked #1 and had I believe 7 WRs in it.

So your post makes no sense.

His post makes no sense because comparing WR to DB is a big mistake. There are twice as many DB positions as there are WR positions...unless you're running 4 wide every play, which we don't.

two safeties and 2 corners, with an additional nickel corner over 50% of the time. compared to 2 or 3 wrs. Its really not too great of a comparison.
Getting 7 (or 8 if one of the elite guys like Tyreke wants in) is no problem at all. It puts us in a position where we get about 2-4 DBs the next few years.

Let's take 8 in 2018, then 2 in 2019 if you can even convince anyone to commit to that loaded roster. Than in 2020 after 2+ 2018 kids transfer you're back to ****ty depth because you're 2018 overloaded class led to a small 2019 class and 25% of your 2018 class left.

You guys really need to stop smoking brick weed. There aint no way in **** you're going to add more than 2 big names like Tyreke, Cambell, and Samuel to the list below without people dropping. When you're done writing your wish list to santa and come back to reality let me know.

Russel
Garvin
Blades
Ivey
Jobe
Frierson

The problem with your take you are assuming we won't have any db recruits in the next couple classes that are of UM material.

Along with redshirting some from this class I really feel we will be OK with 8.
If we are in depth needs then richt will find a way like he did with this class in a juco and a transfer.

Advertisement
So 7 is plenty but 8 is overkill lol oh ok got it thanx
You do understand that we have limits on numbers correct? We have 25 initial counters every year (transfers count as IC's as well). We have 7 stud DB's that are either committed are strongly leaning to us. In reality, 7 is too many as well, but we virtually have the 7 locked up already and you can't say no to anyone of them. Each one you take at DB takes away from another position. Would you rather be three deep at DB and then have no depth on the DLine or Oline etc? It also creates a logjam on the roster, making it more difficult to recruit subsequent classes. Additionally, you will have a mass exodus of DB's at one time that will probably make you have to sign another huge glut of DB's to fill the void down the road. It is better to try and keep a balance year to year when you are able to. So yes, ride with the 7 we (most likely) have, and use that 8th DB spot somewhere else that most certainly would need more help

The rankings go like this:

At CB from best to worst:

Campbell
Ivey
Blades
Tyreke Johnson
Samuel
Jobe
Surtain
Hall
Frierson
Miguel Edwards
Troutman
Divaad Wilson

Jobe is number 1 hall is in top 5 .. PERIOD

lol Jobe is not the number 1 CORNERBACK. Everyone says he's a safety at the next level.

Ivey Campbell and Blades have size you cannot teach, and are athletic freaks at 6'1.

How is loading up on elite DBs not "the right way" to fix our depth issues?? Josh Jobe is technically a 2019 commit and 1 or 2 more would obviously redshirt, issue resolved.

Remember in 2007 when we took 7 WR's and then took 0 in 2008. Then we had Bosher our punter out playing WR? Overloading creates just as many problems as it solves.

*It increases chances of transfers and tarnishing reputations with the local HS you recruited from (wasted resources and schollies)
*It creates a 2019 DB recruiting problem (way harder to sell kids to commmit to an overloaded young roster)
* It creates a 2021/22 mass exodus problem if you aren't able to redshirt/retain/and recruit 2019 properly
* You can only put so many DB's on the field, we could use help at TE, OT, DT,RB much more than an 8th DB.

How the **** are you figuring Jobe a 2019 commit? Kids not even allowed to play HS because he's so old.

Punter Brian Monroe did however, while Kyle Wright was our QB a year or 2 before the 2008 class (Shannon's first class) that was ranked #1 and had I believe 7 WRs in it.

His post makes no sense because comparing WR to DB is a big mistake. There are twice as many DB positions as there are WR positions...unless you're running 4 wide every play, which we don't.

two safeties and 2 corners, with an additional nickel corner over 50% of the time. compared to 2 or 3 wrs. Its really not too great of a comparison.
Getting 7 (or 8 if one of the elite guys like Tyreke wants in) is no problem at all. It puts us in a position where we get about 2-4 DBs the next few years.

Let's take 8 in 2018, then 2 in 2019 if you can even convince anyone to commit to that loaded roster. Than in 2020 after 2+ 2018 kids transfer you're back to ****** depth because you're 2018 overloaded class led to a small 2019 class and 25% of your 2018 class left.

You guys really need to stop smoking brick weed. There aint no way in **** you're going to add more than 2 big names like Tyreke, Cambell, and Samuel to the list below without people dropping. When you're done writing your wish list to santa and come back to reality let me know.

Russel
Garvin
Blades
Ivey
Jobe
Frierson

No one is saying we need to add 2 more big names. We all want one more - Campbell. But if another one of them wants in, please tell me why on earth we would say no to an elite guy. And just because we're loading up doesn't mean **** until they prove something on the field. You really are being ridiculous. Look at our DB depth chart and tell me why exactly 7 is too many. Because when I look at it, I think Mayes, Jackson, Henley, and Knowles should not be on the team. And If Amari Carter jumps Finley in the depth chart, I could see him transferring out, especially after the 2018 class comes in. And by that time Redwine, Jaquan, and Dean will be Seniors.

And your idea that if we get 7 dbs we wont be able to get 2 guys for the 2019 class is just ridiculous. How are we able to get a QB this yr seeing as how we signed 2 last year, and have another 3 potential starters already on the roster? And thats for a position that only has 1 starter, not 5. Again, signing 7 DBs is not a problem in this class.

Advertisement

Let's take 8 in 2018, then 2 in 2019 if you can even convince anyone to commit to that loaded roster. Than in 2020 after 2+ 2018 kids transfer you're back to ****ty depth because you're 2018 overloaded class led to a small 2019 class and 25% of your 2018 class left.

Russel
Garvin
Blades
Ivey
Jobe
Frierson

No one is saying we need to add 2 more big names. We all want one more - Campbell. But if another one of them wants in, please tell me why on earth we would say no to an elite guy. And just because we're loading up doesn't mean **** until they prove something on the field. You really are being ridiculous. Look at our DB depth chart and tell me why exactly 7 is too many. Because when I look at it, I think Mayes, Jackson, Henley, and Knowles should not be on the team. And If Amari Carter jumps Finley in the depth chart, I could see him transferring out, especially after the 2018 class comes in. And by that time Redwine, Jaquan, and Dean will be Seniors.

And your idea that if we get 7 dbs we wont be able to get 2 guys for the 2019 class is just ridiculous. How are we able to get a QB this yr seeing as how we signed 2 last year, and have another 3 potential starters already on the roster? And thats for a position that only has 1 starter, not 5. Again, signing 7 DBs is not a problem in this class.

You literally misread everything i posted. I said 7DB's is doable but 8DB's is asking for trouble down the line so the whole paragraph you wrote is pointless. Comparing DB"s to the QB position is dumb. It's been reported over 65% of P5 QB commits end up transferring from their original school so the position is recruited entirely different than every other position.

Also Michael Jackson is NOT getting pushed out.

I'm all for going after the best players available but there's definitely some negative consequences of over signing one position. For every extra DB they sign, that takes away one scholarship for another position. It's great to stack chips but do you want to get stuck with three healthy DTs while you have 10 CBs on your roster? Secondly, there's only so much playing time to go around. Inevitably, there's going to be some odd men out. Yes, they can transfer and open a roster spot but you still only get 25 scholarships a year, max. You don't get the lost one you spent on the guy who transferred back. Also it might make recruiting at that position very hard for the next couple of years. If your a DB prospect considering playing at Miami, you're not going to be excited by the prospect of having 6 or 7 guys ahead of you on the depth chart that aren't going to done for at least two or three more years.

It's tough when there's so much talent at one spot in one year but you can't go crazy over signing players because it will hurt the overall roster depth in coming years.

You do understand that we have limits on numbers correct? We have 25 initial counters every year (transfers count as IC's as well). We have 7 stud DB's that are either committed are strongly leaning to us. In reality, 7 is too many as well, but we virtually have the 7 locked up already and you can't say no to anyone of them. Each one you take at DB takes away from another position. Would you rather be three deep at DB and then have no depth on the DLine or Oline etc? It also creates a logjam on the roster, making it more difficult to recruit subsequent classes. Additionally, you will have a mass exodus of DB's at one time that will probably make you have to sign another huge glut of DB's to fill the void down the road. It is better to try and keep a balance year to year when you are able to. So yes, ride with the 7 we (most likely) have, and use that 8th DB spot somewhere else that most certainly would need more help

No. If Campbell wants in we take him. If Tyreke wants in we take him. If Surtain wants in you take him. Its as simple as that.
The chances all 3 want in are 0, especially since Surtain is all LSU. But if 2 of them want in, there is no question about it, you take them. These guys are elite.

The 25 limit isn't even a problem, because we can count EE's as apart of the previous class. and you'll remember that the 2017 class was only 24, 10 of which were EE's (which could be applied to the previous class). So we really don't need to worry about the yearly class limit. The number that matters is the 85 scholarships available, because currently we have like 4 spots available with only 10 seniors set to graduate. We need a lot of attrition this year, which I think will happen, especially since we have quite a few RS JRs who will be asked to leave after graduation...plus the guys who leave early for the draft.
I think we can sign 26/27 guys this year as an absolute max.
QB - 1
RB - 2
WR - 4
TE - 1
OL - 4
DL - 5
LB - 2
DB - 7
K - 1
Total = 27

We just signed 5 OL last class, so signing 4 this class is good when we have 4 graduating and maybe 2 more leaving early (jones and mahoney). Not really sure what our kicker situation is like after badgley or if we really need to sign one or not. maybe they're fine with using a walk on or something, idk. But also maybe we get 2 TE's and only 4 DL or something. Either way, we definitely have room for 7 DBs without causing any problems. And if we can get 8 then we do it....however if both those guys come i Could see Russell or someone leaving the class.

Advertisement

Russel
Garvin
Blades
Ivey
Jobe
Frierson

You literally misread everything i posted. I said 7DB's is doable but 8DB's is asking for trouble down the line so the whole paragraph you wrote is pointless. Comparing DB"s to the QB position is dumb. It's been reported over 65% of P5 QB commits end up transferring from their original school so the position is recruited entirely different than every other position.

I said SHOULD not be on the team. I have no way of knowing, nor do you. And those guys leaving could be as simple as seeing this 2018 DB class we have assembled and wanting to transfer so they will get PT. So its not neccessarily being PUSHED out, as much as just leaving. Again 8 is fine. Obviously its too much every year. And if you do it often its not good. But you clearly have not been actually looking at who we have at DB. Also you completely assume they will all be leaving at the same time, which would cause problems. But again, You don't know how many are going to redshirt. You don't know if any would declare for the draft early (and I certainly would expect one or two to) You really don't know. These things typically have a way of working themselves out. But what is non-debateable is that these 8 guys we've been talking about are all worth the scholarship. They are all better than Henderson/Edwards last class. And most likely they are all better than most of the 2019 guys. This is an elite 2018 DB year. So we should take as many as we can given our depth chart at the position isn't too good for the future.

Russel
Garvin
Blades
Ivey
Jobe
Frierson

I said SHOULD not be on the team. I have no way of knowing, nor do you. And those guys leaving could be as simple as seeing this 2018 DB class we have assembled and wanting to transfer so they will get PT. So its not neccessarily being PUSHED out, as much as just leaving. Again 8 is fine. Obviously its too much every year. And if you do it often its not good. But you clearly have not been actually looking at who we have at DB. Also you completely assume they will all be leaving at the same time, which would cause problems. But again, You don't know how many are going to redshirt. You don't know if any would declare for the draft early (and I certainly would expect one or two to) You really don't know. These things typically have a way of working themselves out. But what is non-debateable is that these 8 guys we've been talking about are all worth the scholarship. They are all better than Henderson/Edwards last class. And most likely they are all better than most of the 2019 guys. This is an elite 2018 DB year. So we should take as many as we can given our depth chart at the position isn't too good for the future.

You're taking away spots from DT/TE/RB/OT. All of which need way more help than we need an 8th DB. Period. Everyone who tries to justify taking 8 DB's says "things will work themselves out" which is essentially admitting that you're taking 8 guys just to take 8 guys and it's almost assured some will leave for one reason or another. DT and OT in general are position where kids need more time to develop than DB so adding them to this class is paramount. We can't continue to rely on freshman lineman to plug holes in our depth chart.

Russel
Garvin
Blades
Ivey
Jobe
Frierson

You're taking away spots from DT/TE/RB/OT. All of which need way more help than we need an 8th DB. Period. Everyone who tries to justify taking 8 DB's says "things will work themselves out" which is essentially admitting that you're taking 8 guys just to take 8 guys and it's almost assured some will leave for one reason or another. DT and OT in general are position where kids need more time to develop than DB so adding them to this class is paramount. We can't continue to rely on freshman lineman to plug holes in our depth chart.

Dude we got 5 OL last class. Getting 4 OL this class is a lot, so I don't know what your talking about. It's not like I said only get 2 OL. I said get 4. And you never really get more than 5 in a class. So sure maybe we get 5 in this class. But we wont be rejecting a guy like Tyreke for that extra lineman.
At DL is said 5! what more do you want. I really don't get it dude. We're only losing 3 to graduation. So if anything 5 DL might be a little overkill. But I personally want 2 DE's every class and 2 DTs every class. But this yr I think we need 3 DTs.
And RB we are getting 2. So again, what the **** are you talking about. How many do you want? 4? If 2 top RB is Lingard and Davis doesn't make you happy Idk what to tell you. You're talking about overloading at DB which has 5 positions, yet you want us to take more than 2 RBs in a yr? are you joking.
Honestly TE is the only reasonable position you are talking about "taking spots away from" but even that i specifically mentioned we might get 2.

So try again.

Advertisement

No. If Campbell wants in we take him. If Tyreke wants in we take him. If Surtain wants in you take him. Its as simple as that.
The chances all 3 want in are 0, especially since Surtain is all LSU. But if 2 of them want in, there is no question about it, you take them. These guys are elite.

The 25 limit isn't even a problem, because we can count EE's as apart of the previous class. and you'll remember that the 2017 class was only 24, 10 of which were EE's (which could be applied to the previous class). So we really don't need to worry about the yearly class limit. The number that matters is the 85 scholarships available, because currently we have like 4 spots available with only 10 seniors set to graduate. We need a lot of attrition this year, which I think will happen, especially since we have quite a few RS JRs who will be asked to leave after graduation...plus the guys who leave early for the draft.
QB - 1
RB - 2
WR - 4
TE - 1
OL - 4
DL - 5
LB - 2
DB - 7
K - 1
Total = 27

We just signed 5 OL last class, so signing 4 this class is good when we have 4 graduating and maybe 2 more leaving early (jones and mahoney). Not really sure what our kicker situation is like after badgley or if we really need to sign one or not. maybe they're fine with using a walk on or something, idk. But also maybe we get 2 TE's and only 4 DL or something. Either way, we definitely have room for 7 DBs without causing any problems. And if we can get 8 then we do it....however if both those guys come i Could see Russell or someone leaving the class.

I like that class breakdown. 7 DBs seems about right.

Dude we got 5 OL last class. Getting 4 OL this class is a lot, so I don't know what your talking about. It's not like I said only get 2 OL. I said get 4. And you never really get more than 5 in a class. So sure maybe we get 5 in this class. But we wont be rejecting a guy like Tyreke for that extra lineman.
At DL is said 5! what more do you want. I really don't get it dude. We're only losing 3 to graduation. So if anything 5 DL might be a little overkill. But I personally want 2 DE's every class and 2 DTs every class. But this yr I think we need 3 DTs.
And RB we are getting 2. So again, what the **** are you talking about. How many do you want? 4? If 2 top RB is Lingard and Davis doesn't make you happy Idk what to tell you. You're talking about overloading at DB which has 5 positions, yet you want us to take more than 2 RBs in a yr? are you joking.
Honestly TE is the only reasonable position you are talking about "taking spots away from" but even that i specifically mentioned we might get 2.

So try again.

If you're happy with Burns and Gray being our 4th and 5 options at RB next year there is really no sense in arguing with you. We're losing 3 DL to graduation but potentially 2-3 more for early NFL considerations. So again you're way off.

We're way closer to having Burns and Gray getting reps than we'll ever be to having our 16th DB see the field.

QB - 1
RB - 2
WR - 4
TE - 1
OL - 4
DL - 5
LB - 2
DB - 7
K - 1
Total = 27

I like this breakdown but i think we need two TE's unless baby Njoku is going to switch.

Advertisement

QB - 1
RB - 2
WR - 4
TE - 1
OL - 4
DL - 5
LB - 2
DB - 7
K - 1
Total = 27

Agree, 27 will be the number (and that leaves one spot for a grad transfer. If we end up taking T.Dye and G.Logan, that number becomes 26) . Now add that 8th DB on to your breakdown. Where are you taking away from? QB? no. RB? no. WR? no. OL? no
DL? no. LB? no. Shall we go without a TE? no. Shall we go kickerless next year? no. 7 is a lot, 8 is overkill.

QB - 1
RB - 2
WR - 4
TE - 1
OL - 4
DL - 5
LB - 2
DB - 7
K - 1
Total = 27

I like this breakdown but i think we need two TE's unless baby Njoku is going to switch.

I actually do think he will naturally switch to TE. Judging by his brother, and the fact he is at least as tall as David, and likely taller, He definitely can add a lot more weight once he gets in a College S&C program. We'll see if he's just a tall WR or a full on TE. I wouldn't push him to be a TE or anything, But I think he will just become one. But if Haskins and Irvin step up this year we aren't in a terrible position for the future anyways. And Polendey looks like he's at least going to be a good blocking TE for us.

Plus Brevin Jordan is a top TE in the country. If we only get him I'm fine. A TE group of Irvin, Haskins, Polendey, and Jordan is good. Obviously it is younger than I'd like, but there is enough depth. Its basically the same amount of depth we've had the past 5 yrs.

QB - 1
RB - 2
WR - 4
TE - 1
OL - 4
DL - 5
LB - 2
DB - 7
K - 1
Total = 27

Agree, 27 will be the number (and that leaves one spot for a grad transfer. If we end up taking T.Dye and G.Logan, that number becomes 26) . Now add that 8th DB on to your breakdown. Where are you taking away from? QB? no. RB? no. WR? no. OL? no
DL? no. LB? no. Shall we go without a TE? no. Shall we go kickerless next year? no. 7 is a lot, 8 is overkill.

We wouldn't be going kickerless. Pretty sure We have a few Walk on kickers. And Actually i think we very well may not get 5 DL. Again, 2 DE's and 1 DT are graduating. We don't know Norton, McIntosh, and Willis will leave early. And I doubt more than 1 does end up leaving early. Plus we're in a pretty good place with our DE's anyway. I can easily see us getting 4 or even 3 DL. My point is the 6 DBs we already have are guaranteed a spot. We are definitely still going hard for Tyson Campbell. And if Tyreke wants in there is no way in **** we dont get him. He's a 5* dude! Now could I see one of the other guys then decomitting because this class is too stacked? yes. But I don't see this staff saying 8 is too many, when all 8 are studs. I'd happily take 8 this class and only 2 total DBs next yr. Again just because you take 8 in one class does not mean they all leave at the same time. Between redshirting and declaring early some guys will be here 3 yr and some may be here 5. Also we were going to also take Edwards and Henderson last year, and still go after 6 or 7 dbs this yr, so We definitely have the space at DB.

QB - 1
RB - 2
WR - 4
TE - 1
OL - 4
DL - 5
LB - 2
DB - 7
K - 1
Total = 27

We wouldn't be going kickerless. Pretty sure We have a few Walk on kickers. And Actually i think we very well may not get 5 DL. Again, 2 DE's and 1 DT are graduating. We don't know Norton, McIntosh, and Willis will leave early. And I doubt more than 1 does end up leaving early. Plus we're in a pretty good place with our DE's anyway. I can easily see us getting 4 or even 3 DL. My point is the 6 DBs we already have are guaranteed a spot. We are definitely still going hard for Tyson Campbell. And if Tyreke wants in there is no way in **** we dont get him. He's a 5* dude! Now could I see one of the other guys then decomitting because this class is too stacked? yes. But I don't see this staff saying 8 is too many, when all 8 are studs. I'd happily take 8 this class and only 2 total DBs next yr. Again just because you take 8 in one class does not mean they all leave at the same time. Between redshirting and declaring early some guys will be here 3 yr and some may be here 5. Also we were going to also take Edwards and Henderson last year, and still go after 6 or 7 dbs this yr, so We definitely have the space at DB.

LOL. Nobody is suggesting we don't take Johsnon or Cambell but that would put russel or ivey on the chopping block. Lol at wanting a walk on kicker over the #1 kicker in the nation just so you can have a 16th DB on the roster. ******* ridiculous.

Advertisement
Back