Asante Samuel

Advertisement
I'm fine with taking 7. 8 is just overkill. I think we can find 2-3 DB's for 2019 in the rest of the country. Akeem Dent might be more talented than everyone we're targeting this year besides Campbell.

Nobody is arguing it wouldn't fix our current depth issue. All i'm saying is it just creates future issues.

You guys can't honestly tell me you'd rather have an 8th DB over an OT/TE/ or DT. Once again DB isn't the only depth issue on this team. [MENTION=1740]brock[/MENTION]

Even if you believed taking 8 "Stud" DB's was a good idea you can't honestly believe that 1-2 of them don't eventually transfer for playing time. AKA wasted resources that could've been used at another position of need.

Last edited:
Almost all the dbs were taking are hybrids. Disagree 8 overall is overkill, especially given our depth issues at the position.

You don't solve a depth issue but creating a future one. If you sign 8 DB's and likely only 1 of them redshirt you find yourself in a position where it's hard to recruit DB's in 2019 and potentially having a mass exodus in 3-4 years with kids graduating. We're not Bama yet, we need to build depth the right way to fix it not just recruit whoever will commit.

How is loading up on elite DBs not "the right way" to fix our depth issues?? Josh Jobe is technically a 2019 commit and 1 or 2 more would obviously redshirt, issue resolved.

Remember in 2007 when we took 7 WR's and then took 0 in 2008. Then we had Bosher our punter out playing WR? Overloading creates just as many problems as it solves.

*It spreads coaching thinner trying to coach up all those new guys at once.
*It increases chances of transfers and tarnishing reputations with the local HS you recruited from (wasted resources and schollies)
*It creates a 2019 DB recruiting problem (way harder to sell kids to commmit to an overloaded young roster)
* It creates a 2021/22 mass exodus problem if you aren't able to redshirt/retain/and recruit 2019 properly
* You can only put so many DB's on the field, we could use help at TE, OT, DT,RB much more than an 8th DB.

How the **** are you figuring Jobe a 2019 commit? Kids not even allowed to play HS because he's so old.
What dbs in 2019 class are more talented than the ones we are going after in 2018?.... this is probably the best south Florida db class in the last 20 years. We have several guys on our current roster who shouldn't be here at db and safety or up to Miami championship football standards. This will fix the depth issue and overall talent on the roster at the postion. Miami is not going to allow what a 2019 kid might think dictate how many dbs they take in 2018 who are better and more talented than them anyway... we taking at least 7 dbs man

Akeem Dent

Advertisement
I'm fine with taking 7. 8 is just overkill. I think we can find 2-3 DB's for 2019 in the rest of the country. Akeem Dent might be more talented than everyone we're targeting this year besides Campbell.

Nobody is arguing it wouldn't fix our current depth issue. All i'm saying is it just creates future issues.

You guys can't honestly tell me you'd rather have an 8th DB over an OT/TE/ or DT. Once again DB isn't the only depth issue on this team. [MENTION=1740]brock[/MENTION]

Even if you believed taking 8 "Stud" DB's was a good idea you can't honestly believe that 1-2 of them don't eventually transfer for playing time. AKA wasted resources that could've been used at another position of need.

The total DB #s will work itself out.1 or 2 of them will get scared and jump off to a school, with an easier path.I will be happy if we can keep 5 or 6 of them.

You don't solve a depth issue but creating a future one. If you sign 8 DB's and likely only 1 of them redshirt you find yourself in a position where it's hard to recruit DB's in 2019 and potentially having a mass exodus in 3-4 years with kids graduating. We're not Bama yet, we need to build depth the right way to fix it not just recruit whoever will commit.

How is loading up on elite DBs not "the right way" to fix our depth issues?? Josh Jobe is technically a 2019 commit and 1 or 2 more would obviously redshirt, issue resolved.

Remember in 2007 when we took 7 WR's and then took 0 in 2008. Then we had Bosher our punter out playing WR? Overloading creates just as many problems as it solves.

*It increases chances of transfers and tarnishing reputations with the local HS you recruited from (wasted resources and schollies)
*It creates a 2019 DB recruiting problem (way harder to sell kids to commmit to an overloaded young roster)
* It creates a 2021/22 mass exodus problem if you aren't able to redshirt/retain/and recruit 2019 properly
* You can only put so many DB's on the field, we could use help at TE, OT, DT,RB much more than an 8th DB.

How the **** are you figuring Jobe a 2019 commit? Kids not even allowed to play HS because he's so old.
What dbs in 2019 class are more talented than the ones we are going after in 2018?.... this is probably the best south Florida db class in the last 20 years. We have several guys on our current roster who shouldn't be here at db and safety or up to Miami championship football standards. This will fix the depth issue and overall talent on the roster at the postion. Miami is not going to allow what a 2019 kid might think dictate how many dbs they take in 2018 who are better and more talented than them anyway... we taking at least 7 dbs man

Akeem Dent

He's not more talented than anyone of our top guys but he may be in the same tier of Campbell, jobe, hall, blades, frierson

The total DB #s will work itself out.1 or 2 of them will get scared and jump off to a school, with an easier path.I will be happy if we can keep 5 or 6 of them.

You're making my point. Why spend resources and scholarships on 8 guys if you know they're not going to stick. It's totally pointless. This is not a walmart cashier hiring practice. We need to recruit depth for the long term at every position.

You're making my point. Why spend resources and scholarships on 8 guys if you know they're not going to stick. It's totally pointless. This is not a walmart cashier hiring practice. We need to recruit depth for the long term at every position.

What I'm saying I believe will happen is we won't be able to keep and sign 7 or 8 DBs in this class because a couple will start to worry about never playing here and pick another school.I would love for us to be able to keep 5 or 6 of these studs and get them to sign.You seem to think if we sign 7 or 8 they will transfer once they're at miami and fall on the depth chart,I see a couple jumping off before NSD and only 5 or 6 actually signing their miami papers.

Advertisement

:stephenahand:

Akeem Dent

He's not more talented than anyone of our top guys but he may be in the same tier of Campbell, jobe, hall, blades, frierson

He's a better CB then those guys

Dent is Elite !

Idealish 85 man roster

5 QB
6 RB
15 OL
4 TE
10 WR
1 P
1 K

8 DT
8 DE
11 LB
8 S
8 C

Looking at numbers this way, it is def an ideal list. You have to have talent, depth, and class spacing to build an elite program. So to those saying signing too many DBs this cycle will create problems . . . you are right . . . and wrong! If we can't have the talent, depth, and spacing we HAVE to have talent. It is also true that we can pull special teammers from the pool of DBs and backers! I think we can also see a safety grow into a LB and a corner potentially grow into a safety or maybe a dime corner. So yes signing 8 DBs this cycle will cause some spacing issues, it just will. However with the way kids transfer these days, we have to load up!

Akeem Dent

He's a better CB then those guys

Dent is Elite !
Jobe, hall, Campbell, blades and when healthy frierson is elite

Advertisement
Have some of you seen our DB depth? 8 DBs is not overkill, I say it is a necessity

Have some of you seen our DB depth? 8 DBs is not overkill, I say it is a necessity

We've only taken a total of 3 cbs(1 juco) 4 safeties(wright gone so that's 3 ) in the last 2 classes. We got to load up

Almost all the dbs were taking are hybrids. Disagree 8 overall is overkill, especially given our depth issues at the position.

Its different when you have a HC that knows what he's doing...

And that's why he's not going to take 8 DBs. We want all the top talent we can get, but you have to spread them out a bit or you just end up with a shortage again in a few years.

Advertisement
Idealish 85 man roster

5 QB
6 RB
15 OL
4 TE
10 WR
1 P
1 K

8 DT
8 DE
11 LB
8 S
8 C

Looking at numbers this way, it is def an ideal list. You have to have talent, depth, and class spacing to build an elite program. So to those saying signing too many DBs this cycle will create problems . . . you are right . . . and wrong! If we can't have the talent, depth, and spacing we HAVE to have talent. It is also true that we can pull special teammers from the pool of DBs and backers! I think we can also see a safety grow into a LB and a corner potentially grow into a safety or maybe a dime corner. So yes signing 8 DBs this cycle will cause some spacing issues, it just will. However with the way kids transfer these days, we have to load up!

Agree with this. Taking half of your overall allotment for DB in 1 year is an issue. Not saying it can't work itself it out, it just our TE and DT #'s need far more help than we need an 8th DB. I don't know why people can't see this.

Its different when you have a HC that knows what he's doing...

And that's why he's not going to take 8 DBs. We want all the top talent we can get, but you have to spread them out a bit or you just end up with a shortage again in a few years.

We taking 7 imo

Cross that bridge when you get to it. You'd probably see two redshirt, a couple leave after three years, some stay four, and maybe one or two end up redshirt seniors. You have no clue what injuries can happen either. We are dreadfully thin at DB, so we NEED talent there ASAP. Like other have said, there couldn't be a better year to take 8 DBs in a single class. The talent level is the best I think I have ever seen in a single class. Take them and worry about 4 years down the road when that time comes. Things have a way of working out. I promise you, all 8 guys won't be leaving at the same time.

You can end up with a shortage any number of unforeseen ways... injuries, guys leaving early or just having garbage on your roster. You bvring in the top talent when you can yearly. Nope every body is going to pan out. Can't recruit scared and cautious. You end up like goldens dumb ***.

Advertisement
Back