Asante Samuel Jr.

CaliforniaCanes

West Coast Canes
When people mention the 2018 class of dbs, people on here continuously fail to mention Asante Samuel Jr.
on 24/7 he is CB'ed for Miami. Is there a reason he is not spoken about often when people refer to our 2018 class? How does his talent stack up to Blades, Frierson, jobe, Ivey, etc.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
The likely reason he's not talked about more is because he isn't Tyson Campbell, Al Blades Jr., or Patrick Surtain Jr.

Samuel's talented, but Campbell/Blades/Surtain are elite CB targets and higher priorities. Not to mention that the staff prefers size/length at corner, we have D.J. Ivey & Jalen Patterson currently committed, and there are plenty of other options in our backyard next year.

That simply isn't true...
Check threads >> https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/canes/100792

He's been mentioned plenty & discussed frequently, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Plus, his top schools are Bama, FSU, Miami & Oh St... We have a shot with him, but we're not really recruiting him as heavy as we are the other DB's.

#Storm18 could arguably be the most loaded DB class in the state of Florida over the last decade plus... So, pretty much it's a first come first serve type situation, where we might take 6 DB's in one class.

Although, I will say imo, Asante Jr & Blades are the two best pure CB's in 2018. I think Pat Jr is incredibly overrated.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Is Jalen Patterson on the same level as the SoFl CB prospects for 2018? Is his strength speed and athleticism? Because he's short 5'10" and the staff has bigger options in Blades and Campbell.

Advertisement
Is Jalen Patterson on the same level as the SoFl CB prospects for 2018? Is his strength speed and athleticism? Because he's short 5'10" and the staff has bigger options in Blades and Campbell.

There is room for all three in the class. Plus Ivey. He looks legit, just a few inches short but that doesn't stop everyone here from lovig Nick roberts as a prospect and Patterson looks faster.

Samuel is elite but undersized but we can't have em all we already have like 5 dbs committed plus Blades so there's probably only room for like one more in the class, maybe 2.

He's been mentioned plenty & discussed frequently, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Plus, his top schools are Bama, FSU, Miami & Oh St... We have a shot with him, but we're not really recruiting him as heavy as we are the other DB's.

#Storm18 could arguably be the most loaded DB class in the state of Florida over the last decade plus... So, pretty much it's a first come first serve type situation, where we might take 6 DB's in one class.

Although, I will say imo, Asante Jr & Blades are the two best pure CB's in 2018. I think Pat Jr is incredibly overrated.

I actually read that thread prior to posting. I am basing my question off when most people mention the ideal 2018 class why he is often left out. From the videos of his 1v1 I have been very impressed however I haven't seen him play personally. I was trying to get someone's opinion who watches STA play regularly about his talent compared to his peers.

Advertisement
Blades Jr., Samuel Jr., Surtain Jr., Ivey, Frierson, Campbell, and Jobe in next years class would be amazing and a GOAT DB class. Surtain and Samuel are probably not likely though.

His dad was a playmaker. If he's anything like him we should go for him. Feels good to know we'll have to pick and choose though with this staff

Meant to upvote

Advertisement
Back