Artie vs AG

Its a gift and a curse...Gunter was lauded at the Senior Bowl for being one of the only DBs to excel in zone coverage AND man to man. (most DBs in college just know man to man) The curse is that he looks to be playing very well thus far for the Packers so why is this yet another former Cane who is outplaying where he was picked in the draft under this regime?

Sidenote: Gunter was very good for us. Went toe to toe with Kelvin Benjamin and didn't embarrass himself at all. Ive said this before, I cant think of one game where I left thinking, "Man, Gunter really played like crap." He was steady. And being steady will get you a spot in the NFL. Good luck to the kid and he was a great find by the staff.

Where he was drafted had nothing to do with his play at Miami or how the coach's trained him, and everything to do with his slow foot speed in shorts.

Let's face it. NFL people have a line of demarcation when it comes to cornerbacks' 40 times. Tracey Howard will be a victim of this perception as well.

On the flip side is Justin Gilbert in Cleveland, who got by on pure athleticism in college and no technique. He looks like crap in his 2nd training camp in Cleveland as he refuses to take coaching and learn technique.

As much as you guys hate our coaching staff, player development and recruiting are not issues. Our roster is absolutely loaded with future NFL talent.

Which is why I believe this year is eerily similar to 1999. A team coming of a crap year, loaded with young talent at every position, a talented 2nd year qb, and lastly a coaching staff the fans can't stand and want fired. That's right. All you Butch lovers fuucking hated the man in 1999. You flew banners over The Orange Bowl for him too. I think the hate was worse for Butch than for Golden since National Championships were just a few years behind in 1999.

What's going to determine this season is consistency by the players and by the staff. Offensively Coley's going to have to put the pedal down, and step on throats when we have opponent's down. Like he should have done against FSU last year.
Defensively, it's assignment football. Every time things went badly for us the last couple years defensively it was because 1 or more guys were out of position.

Butch fired his buddy Bill Miller after a couple of years of completely inept defense. Miller was also a fan of bend don't break all the way down the field and into our endzone. Once he did that things got better and fast. More aggressive defense more wins and low and behold a crystal trophy. Oh yeah, and we dominated all our rivals for a good 5year span. When is Golden gonna do that?

Go Canes!

Advertisement
you know someone with gunter's talent from a school with our history usually gets drafted. any idea why he wasn't?

4.7 40 yard dash time.

sherman ran a bad time. there a few others that got drafted. didn't stop them from being drafted. gunter didn't get drafted bc he didn't do enough in college and played in a system that limited his ability to make plays.

Sherman ran a 4.53 40 time at the combine and played in a very similar defense to ours at Stanford, and continues to play in a very similar defensive scheme as ours.

he ran a 4.56 and according to our coaches we run a similar scheme but anyone who watches both teams play would disagree.

Scheme is virtually the same...application and overall philosophy are night and day

good job good effort at 0:25 Artie

[video=youtube;ClW49Y2Qf-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClW49Y2Qf-U[/video]

Its not Arties effort that should be in question on that play. He gave good effort but took a bad angle toward the ball and ran himself right out of the play.

Advertisement
I have almost no respect for Burns since he was smacked silly by L'ville's punter two years ago. He's a kitty cat

...and I bet you whine about Golden supposedly "throwing players under the bus."

I whine about just about everything related to Miami football these days, just like any true fan with any expectations should. Deal with it.

I have almost no respect for Burns since he was smacked silly by L'ville's punter two years ago. He's a kitty cat

...and I bet you whine about Golden supposedly "throwing players under the bus."

I whine about just about everything related to Miami football these days, just like any true fan with any expectations should. Deal with it.

So in other words, you're a hypocrite. Golden and the "slurpers" supposedly "throw players under the bus", which is a bad thing to do. But there you go and insult Burns. Like I said, hypocrite.

So in other words, you're a hypocrite. Golden and the "slurpers" supposedly "throw players under the bus", which is a bad thing to do. But there you go and insult Burns. Like I said, hypocrite.

Ummm okay

**** Golden

&

**** the players who give up season after season under Golden

Its a gift and a curse...Gunter was lauded at the Senior Bowl for being one of the only DBs to excel in zone coverage AND man to man. (most DBs in college just know man to man) The curse is that he looks to be playing very well thus far for the Packers so why is this yet another former Cane who is outplaying where he was picked in the draft under this regime?

Sidenote: Gunter was very good for us. Went toe to toe with Kelvin Benjamin and didn't embarrass himself at all. Ive said this before, I cant think of one game where I left thinking, "Man, Gunter really played like crap." He was steady. And being steady will get you a spot in the NFL. Good luck to the kid and he was a great find by the staff.

You are right, Gunter played solid. The thing that kept him from being from being prime NFL material was Al's defense. Nobody looks at Al's defense for players. DP made lot of big hits and got noticed. Al's dbs play with handicap -- passive horrific system. Saban wanted Arite. I love my Canes but if Arite went to Bama they would be talking first day already.

We got two 1st round picks this year because EVERYONE was watching Kaaya after the first game. You watch he QB, you see the Oline and WRs. Brad is old Cane QB so the TEs is back at Miami. Brad gave up some of the $$$ Brad put in his pocket during interviews or he goes hirer.

Advertisement
good job good effort at 0:25 Artie

[video=youtube;ClW49Y2Qf-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClW49Y2Qf-U[/video]

Not to mention Kirby completely misreading the hole. **** poor play there.

Here is a good example of execution vs swag hype effort. We had a lot of young guys not executing. You can tell a kid to run a 4.4 and scream at him all the way through the 40 yard dash but if he can not physically do it it is not because of a lack of effort. Look at our DL's getting blown back. This RB was killing us because of cut backs and big holes. Not because the team gave up.

So we lost to UVA and Pitt because they were better and more talented we were? Is that what you're telling me?

Advertisement

Where he was drafted had nothing to do with his play at Miami or how the coach's trained him, and everything to do with his slow foot speed in shorts.

Let's face it. NFL people have a line of demarcation when it comes to cornerbacks' 40 times. Tracey Howard will be a victim of this perception as well.

On the flip side is Justin Gilbert in Cleveland, who got by on pure athleticism in college and no technique. He looks like crap in his 2nd training camp in Cleveland as he refuses to take coaching and learn technique.

As much as you guys hate our coaching staff, player development and recruiting are not issues. Our roster is absolutely loaded with future NFL talent.

Which is why I believe this year is eerily similar to 1999. A team coming of a crap year, loaded with young talent at every position, a talented 2nd year qb, and lastly a coaching staff the fans can't stand and want fired. That's right. All you Butch lovers fuucking hated the man in 1999. You flew banners over The Orange Bowl for him too. I think the hate was worse for Butch than for Golden since National Championships were just a few years behind in 1999.

What's going to determine this season is consistency by the players and by the staff. Offensively Coley's going to have to put the pedal down, and step on throats when we have opponent's down. Like he should have done against FSU last year.
Defensively, it's assignment football. Every time things went badly for us the last couple years defensively it was because 1 or more guys were out of position.

I think the phenomena of our players excelling in the NFL yet not standing out in college can be explained. I believe the staff here at UM is good at teaching techniques and fundamentals required to succeed. The staff's huge weakness and the reason the talent is not transferring to the field here is an issue of overarching philosophy and scheme.

That is where the huge disconnect lies. They are able to teach these kids the finer points of their respective positions but the scheme is not conducive to showcasing those skills.

I think the phenomena of our players excelling in the NFL yet not standing out in college can be explained. I believe the staff here at UM is good at teaching techniques and fundamentals required to succeed. The staff's huge weakness and the reason the talent is not transferring to the field here is an issue of overarching philosophy and scheme.

That is where the huge disconnect lies. They are able to teach these kids the finer points of their respective positions but the scheme is not conducive to showcasing those skills.

Yup, a buddy of mine from Rutgers, who is clued in to college football up north told me when Al got hired that Al was very very good at player development, above average in recruiting, and utterly abysmal when it came to the gameday on field scheming and adjustments. I didn't want to believe him then but it seems like he was right.

Advertisement
Back