Artie Burns PT

Fine with him getting his lumps now since he didn't get a shirt so hopefully he can be on a TH3 level progression heading into his soph year

Advertisement
When FSU goes to 4-5 wide and Burns is out there color me very nervous. No doubt in my mind that Gunter/Howard and now Crawford will hold their own. None of them, especially Crawford, are going to get "out-athleted". But this just seems to big of a stage and too early to leave Burns out there by himself when we go man to man. Not saying he is going to pull a "Nick Ward his true freshmen year against FSU when he got absolutely slaughtered". But Winston is going to find him and pick on him.

Burns is fine. It's not like the guy is just getting toasted, he's usually right there, just making little mistakes which are resulting in completions. You expect that though.

Advertisement
I thought he looked OK. For all the praise of Crawford, Burns against Wake looked 100% better than Crawford did early this year when he was getting MURDERED the first two games. UF made him look like a high school corner. Maybe he's improved but the lesson there would be that sometimes guys just have to play. If that's the lesson, it applies to Burns as well. Burns was generally in good position he just misjudged on a big play and played victim to a fantastic throw and catch on another. I have no problems with him playing against Florida State. FSU is likely to abuse the middle of our defense far more than the corners anyway.

He played a lot because Wake was in 4 and 5 wide a lot. Simple deal. And he wasn't as bad as people are making him appear. He struggled on a couple plays, but he was pretty good out there for a true freshmans.

I agree.

People see him make one or two misreads and all of a sudden he has a bad game.

By this time next year, he'll be considered one of the best corners in the country (just like Howard, who made the jump this year).

Advertisement
Back