Article: "Scheme" vs. "Philosophy" - what's really broken?

This is a great thread. Phenomenal insight into what causes us all such frustration watching the way this team plays.

Advertisement
Firing D'onofrio is going to matter unless Golden changes the entire program's football philosophies. This entire football program is Clumsy when it comes to the product on the field. Golden will come up with his end of the year stats of why we improved from 78 to 65 in some bogus category. Nothing we do on the field is sharp. Yes we have looked better on offense, but from start to finish our team is clumsy. We cant even put in our 2nd string offense and defense vs Cincy without us looking like a 5th grade team. I don't want to hear we lost out on this person or that person. What these players are being taught is KILLING this program. Our down lineman are in a Sumo wresting stance before the ball is snapped. When a team goes 4 WR's we have 2 LB's covering 2 WR instead of going to the Nickel Package. How on earth would this coaching staff think that is a recipe for success? Our CB's on the word Hike turn and run in a full sprint in the opposite direction instead of back peddling so they can see the play develop. Our Secondary very rarely makes plays on the ball. We only get INT if the QB over throws the WR or if we get a tip ball. Its Either Golden changes his entire on the field football philosophy or this program is going to continue to look how it looks on the field. Firing D'onofrio is only a small step in what really needs to take place

Ghost first off thanks for starting this thread. Best thread in ages.

Until the mentality at the top changes, and I don't see that changing unless we start over with a new staff, we will continue being frustrated and saying what could have been.

Good post. I also agree with the point that Coach NoD tries to defend every possible situation and that he ends up not defending anything well at all.

What I've heard is that this is very much an "assignment" defense, particularly at defensive line where they are asked to engage the lineman to free up our linebackers or a blitzing safety/corner. You often hear the mantra "everyone needs to do their job." The plays are designed for a specific player to make a play, which has led to many 1-on-1 tackling situations. When that blitz is picked up, we get picked apart.

D-line is not effective at disengaging blockers --when have you ever see our d-line use a swim move, a club, a spin? All we ever witness is a head up bullrush. Over the past 4 years, we've seen little pressure from just a 3 or 4 man rush.

Defenses start and end with defensive line pressure. Until we stop "engaging" and playing with "violent hands," and rather play a more aggressive defensive line pressure schemes, we'll continue to play this passive style.

you are wise indeed. in the military the two biggest things we harp on are resiliency and "adapt and overcome" this entails some flexibility, which we do not have, we're playing chess and everyone is beating us with checkers.

Excellent, excellent post and I've been saying basically the same thing. The scheme works if executed properly. The problem is that Coach D plays scared. If he mans up and sends the house on 3rd and long and we get burnt, it could be weeks before he does it again. You have to have a short memory sometimes. Pressure that QB and more often than not he will hurry and not make that perfect throw.

Advertisement
One of my biggest frustration is Offense's are getting quicker and play speed games. Here we are trying to bulk up and slow down based off the 80's big ten offense teams.

Where is the aggression and speed defense this U used to be known for???

Actually, in a recent interview, Golden claimed this scheme allows us to get more speed on the field.

I most definitely don't agree with that sentiment. Golden looks at our 3-4 and says we have more speed on the field because we're starting 4 LBs. Even though one is just an undersized DE playing OLB.

Our base defense calls for us to have 3 DTs on the field, 2 OLBs and 2 MLBs in the front seven vs a 4-3 that would have 2 DTs, 2 DEs, 2 OLBs and 1 MLB.

Chick wouldn't be a 290 lb DE in a 4-3; he'd be 270 max IMO. McCord would be a rush DE.

And of course this philosophy is magnified in our short yardage/goal line defensive alignments.

Excellent, excellent post and I've been saying basically the same thing. The scheme works if executed properly. The problem is that Coach D plays scared. If he mans up and sends the house on 3rd and long and we get burnt, it could be weeks before he does it again. You have to have a short memory sometimes. Pressure that QB and more often than not he will hurry and not make that perfect throw.

I think the scheme is better suited for the next level where you are able to get the number of reps needed for it to be productive. When you're trying to combine two different techniques it is awfully hard to get any continuity. Take the one gap 43 that JJ popularized. Everything from stance, hand placement, reads on the run, and techniques are completely different than the 34 (okie) counterpart. Now, when you're mixing in 34 techniques, stance, hand placement, and reads, you get what we've been seeing recently. A defensive line that is constantly getting no push against the run and nothing in terms of a pass rush. As a result OLmen are getting to the second level defenders, and the secondary is getting exploited. No pass rush and soft zone coverage equals a **** poor defense.

As far as coverages are concerned, I really think D would be better off running a version of tampa-2. Heck, the mike is already aligned 7-8 yards deep. Grace is the type of weapon needed at will for the tampa-2 to be productive because he will be responsible for the added space vacated by mike's deeper drop. It's still in D no's realm because it is a three deep coverage. That being said, it won't make a difference what coverages we are running if we don't turn the DL loose and get some asses into gaps to provide pressure.

Advertisement
The problem with this team isn't one side of the ball, it's the whole package. Everything about this team looks atrocious. Watch other programs in the top ten play and tell me we look the way we should with the amount of talent we have.

there isn't a single facet of the team that is managed well. Offense, defense, special teams, S&C, etc. everything is complete garbage under golden. Changing coordinators does nothing. The problem is golden himself

You guys give Gorlden and Dorito WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much credit.

You watch this team week in and week out for 3.5 years and you think there is some kind of "Philosophy" being used? These schleps can't think past breakfast let alone develop some kind of "Philosophy".

bwahahahahaha!

These clowns are arsonist-firemen. They spend all their time putting out fires that they started.

Last edited:
Advertisement

VT will pressure Kaaya every play, all night.

I think the scheme is better suited for the next level where you are able to get the number of reps needed for it to be productive. When you're trying to combine two different techniques it is awfully hard to get any continuity. Take the one gap 43 that JJ popularized. Everything from stance, hand placement, reads on the run, and techniques are completely different than the 34 (okie) counterpart. Now, when you're mixing in 34 techniques, stance, hand placement, and reads, you get what we've been seeing recently. A defensive line that is constantly getting no push against the run and nothing in terms of a pass rush. As a result OLmen are getting to the second level defenders, and the secondary is getting exploited. No pass rush and soft zone coverage equals a **** poor defense.

As far as coverages are concerned, I really think D would be better off running a version of tampa-2. Heck, the mike is already aligned 7-8 yards deep. Grace is the type of weapon needed at will for the tampa-2 to be productive because he will be responsible for the added space vacated by mike's deeper drop. It's still in D no's realm because it is a three deep coverage. That being said, it won't make a difference what coverages we are running if we don't turn the DL loose and get some asses into gaps to provide pressure.

I've always felt a Tampa-2 would be ideal here. Not a lot of college teams run it, and don't understand why. The NDSU staff (now at Wyoming), does. They won back to back to back FCS titles with it.

I've always felt a Tampa-2 would be ideal here. Not a lot of college teams run it, and don't understand why. The NDSU staff (now at Wyoming), does. They won back to back to back FCS titles with it.

4WR sets are beginning to slice and dice the best parts of the Tampa-2. Not that 4WR sets are nonexistent in FCS, but I can see some of the better athletes and better precision of the higher level spread out the Tampa-2 the way they're doing in the NFL. 3 by 1 sets. Mismatches in the middle of the field. Etc. Just the weekend, Baltimore shredded a lot of 2 Safety looks by TB. It's a scary time to play defense. Hence, why you have to focus on disruption in your front.

Last edited:
Advertisement

4WR sets are beginning to slice and dice the best parts of the Tampa-2. Not that 4WR sets are nonexistent in FCS, but I can see some of the better athletes and better precision of the higher level spread out the Tampa-2 the way they're doing in the NFL. 3 by 1 sets. Mismatches in the middle of the field. Etc. Just the weekend, Baltimore shredded a lot of 2 Safety looks by TB. It's a scary time to play defense. Hence, why you have to focus on disruption in your front.

I get the mismatches, but in the NFL the rule changes have also dramatically helped the O. The DB's are severely handicapped.

I think in CFB you can play more aggressively and that's why it is still competitive to play that D.

We are a bad team because we are soft and we play soft. We will see this again when we play VT, which, historically, plays hard-nosed football. We shy away from that style and are consistently dominated.

Excellent point. I agree that an aggressive single gap 4-3 is much easier to teach, easier to learn and more effective at this level. With the NCAA limiting the hours the coaches can spend with the players there just isn't enough time for them to master all the intricacies of this defense.

The problem with this team isn't one side of the ball, it's the whole package. Everything about this team looks atrocious. Watch other programs in the top ten play and tell me we look the way we should with the amount of talent we have.

there isn't a single facet of the team that is managed well. Offense, defense, special teams, S&C, etc. everything is complete garbage under golden. Changing coordinators does nothing. The problem is golden himself

This is not a new theory, but most people not attacking the defense were met with a you must be hanging on Golden's nuts defending his boy and your tongue must be orange because you have Dorito **** so far up your *** you can taste it.

Advertisement
Back