Article on the success rate of recruiting and developing a quarterback

Advertisement
He's not wrong. It's a big fail this year by the staff....assuming a QB is not signed. Period. I realize fully it's a weak class overall, but regardless, play the numbers. Only 25% of the blue-chippers develop anyway. Why not go after a 3-star kid with some potential that you think you can flip?

Advertisement
image.gif

Welp... I already know where this thread is headed.

This explains a lot about where we are QB wise and reinforces why you need to sign a blue chip guy every single year.

Or maybe theres just a ****load less "bluchips" than everyone thinks there is. Considering the massive failure rate of QB evals at the college and pro level its pretty obvious that hardly anyone knows **** about QBs.

Advertisement
They have 3 guys on the squad for next year so there is some depth. But in 2020 then need to land Max Johnson for sure and another good guy in all probability.

kelly’s Senior year was probably the greatest example of stacked QBs ever. Jim, Bernie and Vinny - 3 first rounders, a NC, one Heisman and a HOFer, with a future HC to boot. I think two is the number you should recruit every year. Kids today take off in a second so you need more.

:6fps6::n9zngvnqolxlw9kll8.jpg::p1jubcjtel7jd.jpg: with the talent we have and will be getting we don't need a superstar.all we need is a qb who can get the ball to the playmakers and manage the game and be smart with the football with a good td to int ratio.

Advertisement
:6fps6::n9zngvnqolxlw9kll8.jpg::p1jubcjtel7jd.jpg: with the talent we have and will be getting we don't need a superstar.all we need is a qb who can get the ball to the playmakers and manage the game and be smart with the football with a good td to int ratio.
Something like this?
f9ba3b2a52f23c94ae10709f0fe21cc9--hurricanes-football-miami-hurricanes.jpg

Or maybe theres just a ****load less "bluchips" than everyone thinks there is. Considering the massive failure rate of QB evals at the college and pro level its pretty obvious that hardly anyone knows **** about QBs.

Nah, evals are ok it's just that you don't know who can make the transition. You can't tell who's going to be able to improve, who will give everything to succeed, who will connect with your team and lead them...there are so many intangible things that have to happen and no way to predict them. All you can do is go with who's got the measurable, skills, and attitude and hope they can progress the way you need. There really is no better system for evaluating.

Wouldn’t mind a multipurpose QB, one who could change positions if QB didn’t pan out.

Better option than a lesser passing-QB who doesn’t play or transfers. No more Evan Sheriffs, please.

Advertisement
I think everyone is getting upset for no good reason.
Yes, ideally you recruit a QB every year, but this year I'm more then ok if not encouraging to not do that this year, see below:

1) The QB talent pool this year is very bad. Not my own analysis, but all of them out there are saying such a thing. No studs and no depth;
2) Our depth, as Jon Richt stated, is strong. Let's look at next years depth: - RSo, Nkosi Perry, RSo - Cade Weldon, RFr - Jarren Williams;
3) The new Redshirt rule, can and will allow us to play all three of those QBs without sacrificing any of their Redshirts;
4) Let's remember QBs will only be back-up for so long, I'd have an inkling any QB we got this year would simply transfer out after 2 years considering what's ahead of them; and
5) MJJ film wasn't even that good, I thought he just out atheleted everyone and had a cannon, a la N'Kosi Perry, but because he's a higher rated guy and not at home he'll wanna cut out early.

Further to that, let's look at other positions. They recruited 1 LB last year who ended up at End, because the talent was thin, same thing this year at QB. Let's not recruit a position for numbers, let's recruit a position for talent. Let's go get two guys next year who are higher quality (which seems to be the case) and hopefully local and then you have the continuation at competition at a spot as you see with OL, WR, LB, RB etc. Be great everywhere so that 1sv2s ain't much of a drop off so that Greentree is where you get better, not during games.

I think this is a really a knock on "blue chip" status being given out based more on a player fitting into a prototypical mold and less on whether or not they can actually play. If a guy is 6'4"/220lbs, he's a blue chipper even if he's spent his entire HS career in a one-read system where he's never had to develop the ability to diagnose and process more than just very basic defensive reads.

I think it's also the prevalence of these systems where schools are content to just stick an athlete back there and let him out athlete the defense. HS systems that actually develop these guys with all the subtle nuances of being a QB are few and far between. This has been a part of HS football for as long as anyone can remember, but the last 10 years or so, you're really starting to see it spill over to Division 1 college ball. Both because many teams simply don't have the luxury of sitting a guy behind a veteran starter and allowing him to develop, and because a lot of programs are just fine and dandy with a guy who can out athlete 8 to 10 teams a year and get beat by the 2-4 teams who can play disciplined defense well enough to contain a one man show.

Two guys immediately come to mind.

1. Lamar Jackson. Superb athlete who was just the best guy on the field in 8 to 10 games every year, and Bobby Patrino was content with winning 8 to 10 games a year, so IMO, he crafted the offense around maximizing that rather than taking the time to hone his skills as a passer.

2. Deshaun Watson. Started out the same way as Jackson. The best athlete on the field in at least 10 games each year. The difference is, Clemson and Deshaun were not content with that. Deshaun actually took labels like "athlete" and "Dual-Threat" as an insult. Deshaun busted his *** and had the support staff willing to develop and hone his abilities as a passer. As a result, Deshaun became one of the best passers in the league and won a National Championship.

But for every Deshaun Watson, there are 4 or 5 Lamar Jacksons and Vince Youngs, and that is borne out by the evidence in this article.

You're only allowed 85 scholarships for football. How the **** is anyone going to justify using 5 of them on quarterbacks? The one position that only one person can play at a time?

Advertisement
Back