Article: Local 2017 linebacker Dunning gets a UM offer

View as article

Nash Williams

Freshman
At 6-foot-1, 222-pounds, Tyler Dunning is not your average high school sophomore. The man-child from Dillard High School in Fort Lauderdale was a nightmare for opposing defenses last season and his hard work finally paid off on Saturday when he was offered by the Miami Hurricanes.

"Yeah I mean I just feel good right now. I've still got a big smile you know," said Dunning.

Dunning explained that there was a 75-percent chance of him committing within the next week to the hometown Hurricanes. He rained true to his word as he committed Saturday evening.

He confirmed his commitment by tweeting out: "@44_dc_: Officially committed to the University of Miami #Squad17"

"I called up Coach D and told him I wanted to be part of the family. said Dunning. "They were all fired up."

Dunning said earlier in the day that he had to speak with his mom about it to see how she felt about him committing and apparently she was on board with the idea. Dunning figured she would like the fact that it was close to home.

"When I told my mom about the offer, she was just speechless. She didn't know what to say," said Dunning.

The top-notch linebacker prospect was visiting the campus in Coral Gables on Saturday to watch the 'Canes practice with his 7-on-7 coach and former Champagnat Catholic head coach Mike Tunsil.

"They had a sophomore day down there today and it was real good," said Dunning. "I loved it," Dunning said of his time on Saturday watching the practice and visiting the campus.

Dunning, who has been in contact with the Miami coaching staff regularly, says defensive coordinator Mark D'Onofrio informed him of the offer.

Saturday's commitment was the second for the Miami Hurricanes 2017 class to go along with quarterback Todd Centeio of Dwyer High School in Palm Beach Gardens.

Dunning says he also expects offers from Florida State, Florida, and Louisville among others soon.

Last weekend at the Pylon 7-on-7 in Cocoa Beach, Dunning had one of the best weekends out of all the prospects on hand as he reeled in multiple interceptions leading his team to win the tournament championship.

"I'm that type of player with that dog in him. I mean I won't stop going. I've just got a chip on my shoulder," said Dunning.

**Dunning's highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3333960/tyler-dunning

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Advertisement
6'1", 222 as a sophomore! Is this kid a true linebacker or will he grow into a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB?

Advertisement
Glad to see we are getting a jump on 2017 but I am not overwhelmed by his tape. He misses quite a few tackles and has to recover and he is in on quite a few assists and is not the primary tackler. I mean he definately has time to develop but I dont see a stud yet.

Very impressive early linebacker recruiting. We seem to have trouble getting the guys on the field in the end. Gotta clean that up with all the talent we have committed but unsigned at the moment.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back