Article: Donnell Bennett Reacts to Cristobal Hire; Update on Coley

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Northeast High School Head Coach Donnell Bennett played with new 'Canes Tight Ends Coach Mario Cristobal at the University in the early 90s. Bennett thinks very highly of Cristobal in the coaching ranks.

"He was on my offensive line so I definitely know him pretty well. I think it was a great hire. Mario's done a great job recruiting and he's a heck of a coach so it's a plus in my opinion."

In Bennett's opinion, what makes Cristobal such a force on the recruiting trail?

"He's very assertive and knowledgable when it comes to the game of recruiting."

Brennan Carroll will now be moving from coaching tight ends to receivers with Cristobal taking over tight ends.

"I'm not sure about that because I don't know too much about Coach Carroll. I'm sure Coach Golden made a decision that he believes we will work out to put our receiving corps to be even better."

One of the major story lines that came with former WR Coach George McDonald leaving Miami was how it would affect the recruitment of Bennett's star receiver, Stacy Coley.

"It's tough to say. I talked to Stacy about it earlier and he's just going to have to meet Coach Carroll and see where he plans to go with the receivers and see if that benefits him."

A positive for Miami is that RB's Coach Terry Richardson (Northeast alum) has been on Coley since early in the process.

"He's been involved from day 1."

Bennett's ties to Miami are another factor in favor of the 'Canes chances.

"It definitely helps Stacy that I played there. It's been awhile so I won't have the answer to every question that comes up, but I'll definitely be able to help with a lot of stuff since I went through it myself."

Last edited:
Advertisement
"our receiving corps"

I like dat

Carroll already got Sandland, lets see if he can close on Coley too

Last edited:
Seems he just looking for some positive news regarding our wr hire and I think we are place to take care of any questions he may have had.

Advertisement
**** I want Coley so bad. Wont be able to stand him goin to FSU I don't wanna see him ruin his career there

Advertisement
And yet Coley has this love affair with FSU. It just don't get it. Miami kid that his hometown team wants badly. His coach played for UM. Family can watch very home game.

It just doesn't add up...

And yet Coley has this love affair with FSU. It just don't get it. Miami kid that his hometown team wants badly. His coach played for UM. Family can watch very home game.

I believe he was all ready to commit until FSU offered Eddie Jackson.

Bennett was one of my favorite Canes. Loved the black shirt under jersey.

donnell_bennett.jpg

Advertisement

View attachment 21455

Can't say he was one of my favorites. I heard multiple times during his playing days that coaches kept trying to persuade him to move to LB. They felt he could have been an All-American there. When I hear that, I wonder if he's a "me" guy and not a team guy. I could be unfair, I don't know.

View attachment 21455

Can't say he was one of my favorites. I heard multiple times during his playing days that coaches kept trying to persuade him to move to LB. They felt he could have been an All-American there. When I hear that, I wonder if he's a "me" guy and not a team guy. I could be unfair, I don't know.

Well, I was 13 or 14 when he was playing, so the black shirt under the jersey was enough for me.

Advertisement
Donnell was a great RB at Miami....hard runner with good size. Because of him I started to wear black shirts back in the day.

kid is a Cane. we cut Cunningham loose. thats all you need to know. i have to imagine that Cunningham was #2 behind Coley and we'd take both if we had the room

kid is a Cane. we cut Cunningham loose. thats all you need to know. i have to imagine that Cunningham was #2 behind Coley and we'd take both if we had the room

You have no evidence or proof of this whatsoever. Stop it.

Even if we did cut Cunningham loose that doesn't mean the staff thinks they are getting Coley. It more than likely means the staff just isn't taking any WRs this class

Don't get your hopes up on Coley. Would be shocked if he came here. You're just setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Advertisement
Back