Article about Mario the QB killer

Satan's reign has as much do with his free pass at illegal recruiting, i.e., the Bag Game, as anything else. He hates NIL as it levels the playing field somewhat. He hates it so much he has buddy Senator Joe Manchin talking about NIL-regulation favoring the $EC.

And while not wanting to give Nicky undeserved credit for calling Bama's offense the past decade did he not make the decision to hire OC's like Kiffin and others? After the Kick 6 loss to Auburn in 2013 he knew he could no longer win at a high level with a defense not built to defend spread offenses running 80-90-100 plays a game. He has to settle for winning more shootouts rather than losing. He knows he can't win NCs on defense and running the ball alone.

Oh, and F-Saban, F-Bama, F-$EC, and F-NCAA. All of 'em.
I’ll just say..If you poll every last power 5 coach..they’d all be in favor of NIL Regulation. That’s not just a Saban thing. He’s the only HC with enough cache/clout etc to come out and publicly to say what they all talk about beyond the Mic ..you remember the back n forth he and jimbo had..go actually listen to what Saban said and then Jimbo..they literally agreed lol..he gets push back on it from casuals and ESPN talking heads who think he’s saying that from a stance Of vulnerability..as if that would hinder the Bama recruiting machine..NIL was not supposed to be what it is today. When ppl argued for players to profit off them selves nobody was talking about the Collectives/lush funds and roster salary we have going on. Especially how it’s impacted recruiting in certain states with out equal guidance.

You can say F him and Bama all you want but fact I’d He’s the best HC in the best conference..take my opinion with a grain of salt cause I’m the boards Saban apologist. Bama is what we used to be in terms of recruiting/producing freak..And FYI Every major program attempts to pay for players..why would a 5star take 30Gs from Texas/Tenn etc that offers shottie development when they have the same offer from Bama and will be guaranteed the best structure for their development..if I had a 5star kid..Bama has a hat on the table by default..and if y’all are honest you’d do the same

Advertisement
Mario is not a QB killer per se..but there a certain way he wants his team’s culture to be. He wants to out physical and dominate. It’s literally the winning formula and has been..
You mix in a plethora of game breakers and game strategy wreckers..you have Bama and UGA

Don’t know if Maude’s want to put it in Duck Tears they can.

“Taggart’s Offensive System Let Herbert Shine”​

Stopped reading.

Not discrediting the other guys who played a part but it starts up top so of course he’d get most of the credit. A great coach surrounds himself with people who are more knowledgeable or as knowledgeable as him in other areas. I was thrown off from u saying he hasn’t had his kwn creative thought from the 90s when his defense alone has expanded many times since then. And his philosophy as a team has changed because he saw the shift in the game, adapt or die. Giving him credit isn’t taking away from others.

And as far as butch, thats cool butch is great im sure but after Miami what has he done to be mentioned with saban? Saban has pulled from other greats too , butch isn’t the only one. Yall always mention butch in Saban convos as if that takes away from saban being great lol. If butch is so great and taught saban alot why has butch not been as successful as he was in Miami anywhere else?
I can only mention what I was a part of with my own two eyes. I mentoring how he's pulled from others, but with my own two eyes I only know what he did under butch tutelage. As you stated it takes an army. Don't be a hypocrite. That's not Kool. When butch was here he had an AMAZING staff. By the way if I remember correctly he was doing pretty good at unc considering what they were coming from and than once the NCAA came knocking. Just like you said it doesn't hurt to give someone credit, than don't take that same credit from butch... Especially since he's the cane

I can only mention what I was a part of with my own two eyes. I mentoring how he's pulled from others, but with my own two eyes I only know what he did under butch tutelage. As you stated it takes an army. Don't be a hypocrite. That's not Kool. When butch was here he had an AMAZING staff. By the way if I remember correctly he was doing pretty good at unc considering what they were coming from and than once the NCAA came knocking. Just like you said it doesn't hurt to give someone credit, than don't take that same credit from butch... Especially since he's the cane
Im not taking anything away from butch, it just seems yall take credit away from saban to boost Butch up. Butch resume speaks for itself just like Sabans does, i don’t think they’re in the same convo even tho i think highly of both.

And yea he’s a cane but before i loved any team i loved football so im gonna state my opinion no matter if its for a cane or not lol

Advertisement
Mario is not a QB killer per se..but there a certain way he wants his team’s culture to be. He wants to out physical and dominate. It’s literally the winning formula and has been..
You mix in a plethora of game breakers and game strategy wreckers..you have Bama and UGA
Physical is great. Dominating is great. Being a run heavy or run-oriented team in today's CFB...not great at all. Balance on offense is good but you've got to pass the ball effectively & often. You've got to air it out & score points in today's CFB or you'll get lapped. You can still be physical and run the ball effectively while leaning heavily on your most talented offensive player (TVD). Throw the ball (with a nice mix of run plays).

Does a Broyles Award winner leave a job following a playoff year for a lateral move to a team where he won’t have freedom to run his own system?
Especially since the head coach at his previous job heavily influenced the offense

Physical is great. Dominating is great. Being a run heavy or run-oriented team in today's CFB...not great at all. Balance on offense is good but you've got to pass the ball effectively & often. You've got to air it out & score points in today's CFB or you'll get lapped. You can still be physical and run the ball effectively while leaning heavily on your most talented offensive player (TVD). Throw the ball (with a nice mix of run plays).
Honest question... Have you gone back and watched full games from last years oregon team? Anthony Brown is the reason they didn't throw the ball, not Mario's ego.

Advertisement

I agree. But that notion about Oregon leaning heavily on the run is a bit overblown. Even with Herbert. His stats were good. Dude was a top 10 pick under Mario. It’s not like it was a Kirk cousins situation at MSU

Difference is at Oregon those WR weren’t taken 10-15 yard gains to the house. He never really had explosive playmakers on the outside. I think he’ll have a better run getting them to Miami tho. At times Mario can be conservative when it comes to play call and aggression in terms of going for it. I think Mario and Gattis mesh well in philosophy..and let me just say yes, TVD is the best player..but we don’t have a proven crop of WR who can make explosive plays on the outside. Yes they have talent but not proven. The TE/RB group is the Strength of the Offense imo. I think we’ll see a lot of 12 and 11 personnel.

Im not taking anything away from butch, it just seems yall take credit away from saban to boost Butch up. Butch resume speaks for itself just like Sabans does, i don’t think they’re in the same convo even tho i think highly of both.

And yea he’s a cane but before i loved any team i loved football so im gonna state my opinion no matter if its for a cane or not lol
I don't take anything away from anyone when it relates to achievements. But to not see the entirety of a picture is foolish. Are you gonna go see a movie where an actor wins best supporting role yet you'll only give credit to the lead? There is mitigating factors. But no purpose in going back and forth on this especially if it's about words that aren't coming out of my mouth yet you keep saying y'all. I'll clarify for the last time, I'm not putting butch & Satan into the same class. Plenty of coaches (atleast the good ones)they can take something from someone while only picking from their strengths. Butch had plenty of strengths that molded plenty of coaches but his pieces are a quarter of something much larger. As a finished product butch and Satan aren't in the same hemisphere at any point in time. However if butch would've been gave the same freedoms as Satan you wouldn't have the same questions about butch either as his achievements and his time with us in college wouldn't have been cut short. Anyways. Is what it is. Have a nice day y'all.

I don't take anything away from anyone when it relates to achievements. But to not see the entirety of a picture is foolish. Are you gonna go see a movie where an actor wins best supporting role yet you'll only give credit to the lead? There is mitigating factors. But no purpose in going back and forth on this especially if it's about words that aren't coming out of my mouth yet you keep saying y'all. I'll clarify for the last time, I'm not putting butch & Satan into the same class. Plenty of coaches (atleast the good ones)they can take something from someone while only picking from their strengths. Butch had plenty of strengths that molded plenty of coaches but his pieces are a quarter of something much larger. As a finished product butch and Satan aren't in the same hemisphere at any point in time. However if butch would've been gave the same freedoms as Satan you wouldn't have the same questions about butch either as his achievements and his time with us in college wouldn't have been cut short. Anyways. Is what it is. Have a nice day y'all.
The biggest mistake The U ever made was not doing whatever it would have taken to retain Butch as HC.

The biggest mistake The U ever made was not doing whatever it would have taken to retain Butch as HC.
It's definitely up there. But you have to understand how toxic things were between him and the administration by that point. They didn't want him here and tried everything short of firing him to ensure he wasn't here. Everyone will here about the extension offered etc but not grasp the back story. It was ****ed by that point.

Advertisement
It's definitely up there. But you have to understand how toxic things were between him and the administration by that point. They didn't want him here and tried everything short of firing him to ensure he wasn't here. Everyone will here about the extension offered etc but not grasp the back story. It was ****ed by that point.
E.N.D O.F S.T.O.R.Y

Since Butch had a taste of SB championships as an assistant, I always assumed he would eventually want to return to the NFL as a HC. Especially if he won a couple of NCs at Miami, which was about to happen.

Shame the BOT didn’t want that run.

On to a new era with Mario and a program that cares again.

Thank you for all the insights you post.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Difference is, this iteration of Mario comes with a ridiculous supporting cast. Gattis and Ponce alone bring a gravitas to the offensive staff he's never had before, IMO. Add in the defensive staff, profusion of analysts and GAs. If nothing else, UM is giving him the best chance possible to win.
Comparing his overall Oregon staff with what he assembled at Miami is hilarious. The upgrades at both coordinators alone makes his staff here vastly superior as you stated. Ponce took a downgrade as did Strong. We don't have a weakness with any position room assistant. Plus, our analysts alone rival anybody's in the nation. Plus. you have Ed O. showing up at every practice and he isn't even on salary.

Last edited:
I don't know where all the amnesia is coming from. The points in the article were the very kind of thing people here were debating freely back when it looked like we might be looking for a new coach - many times stated more bluntly than the Oregon guy did.

Has Mario shifted his views somewhat? Maybe. I get the sense that succeeding in this job means far more to him, and as some have pointed out, coaches learn and grow. He's surely not blind to the perception about his time with Herbert. Now he has another QB that's already perceived at a very high level and he knows how it's going to be scrutinized. I'm hopeful his competitiveness will outweigh any stubbornness. If the offense/TVD regresses, Miami isn't the kind of town that will be quiet about it.
Regresses? Last year Miami could not run the football. Conceptually we are going to utilize the entire field. This will play to TVD's strength because he understands where the ball needs to go. A lot of quarterback play is processing pre-snap and as the play develops and going with the best option.. Bernie could do it so could Steve and Kenny. The difference is TVD has a stronger arm. This kid is special. If he can hit the intermediate routes effectively and we are attacking the middle of the field, then we are going to be a very effective offense.

Last edited:
Mario’s biggest win total came the season he had a phenomenal defense.

It’s ok to be thrilled with him being here, which we all are, and still have questions about his offensive philosophy.
Every team that was won the national title this century has been able to effectively run the football and mostly certainly when needed. His philosophy is sound.

Last edited:
“Unleashing” Anthony Brown to get 306 passing yards on 40 attempts should let anyone with common sense know why he was never unleashed in the first place. He was awful.
Exactly he recruited a couple of 4* star QBs and none seemed to pan out which happens and is why you always recruit at least 1 QB per year because the fact is they are not all going to work out. Those QBs not being ready means needing a guy in the portal which ended up being Brown. Now people can argue that they should have went with someone else but they didn't. That being said when Anthony Brown is your QB you are not going to ask him to drop back and pass 40+ times. You are asking to lose a lot of games so what do you do you lean into the run game since that fits your personal better.

Advertisement
Back