Art Kehoe: UM's most valuable Coach for Miami in '15

Despite what looks like a promising young star at quarterback in Brad Kaaya,
should the Miami Hurricanes be a run-first team in 2015?

“[Brad Kaaya] is the next upcoming Heisman hopeful down at the University of Miami,” said Miami Hurricanes legend Bennie Blades. “But the thing is we need to make sure that we can keep this young kid upright. He’s gonna have to make a few plays early with his feet. I tell people until our offensive line gels we’re gonna have to be smash and pound until we can get things going in the right direction.”
Blades: Until Canes’ OL Gels, Gonna Have to ‘Smash and Pound’ « CBS Miami

Is it known that the kid can't be kept upright?
I understand wanting to make runners run more until we figure things out, but it's just Bethune, FAU first anyway...we'd gel. But how do you turn Brad into one making plays with feet that he has yet to...idk

He's probably just speaking in generalities while he gives his opinion. How much inside information he is privy to I don't know. Given the youth of this OL and it's relative inexperience, we should all expect to hear these concerns. Despite the youth I am cautiously optimistic about the OL with one exception. Sunny Odogwu starting at RT concerns me despite his purported improvement.

Expecting a period of adjustment for this unit is just being realistic when you consider the low number of combined starts by this OL. It is fortunate for us that we get BCC and FAU to open the season. That should give Sunny plenty of live reps before Nebraska although by that time, I expect KC McDermott will have claimed the RT job.
So we have a weak OL and the strategy is to rely heavily on them to open holes in the run game?

Not necessarily but I suppose it's better than getting Kaaya killed.
A quick passing game Is a better option. If your QB is getting killed in a quick passing game then hang yourself. You don't need 5 Orlando Paces to run that sort of offense. But to take the ball out of your best player's hands because you're scared is typical Folden f@qgotry.

I agree but like you said, were talking about Guldens and Coley here. Just watch. Their brilliant plan will be to run the ball on every first and second down in typical predictable fashion thus setting up 3rd and long. If they do go to the quick passing game, what you will see is bubble screen after bubble screen.

One can't deny the coaches' emphasis of utilizing "pass catching RBs" for "quick passing game". Add in having WR types of TEs as Njoku & Herndon that create mismatch going out wide, then you have more options for multiple attacking offense for Kaaya. Bennie offered the keeping "Kaaya upright" possibly as a feature that must be worked out by Kehoe for not getting Kayaa killed for games # 3 and later.

That is a fair assessment for long passes downfield or passes with complex routes that need time to develop, therefore running the rock make way more sense coupled with that quick passing game utilizing RBs out of the backfield, TEs, and quick slants to WRs. Bennie might even be privy to the development that Kayaa has added a running option to his game.

I saw RGIII get killed airing out the ball a week or so ago when the Redskins could not protect him. I think that is the sentiment of caution for our "upcoming Heisman hopeful" that Bennie is fostering to Cane coaches; don't get the kid abused if you ain't gel-ling to protect him; do other things.

Advertisement
Despite what looks like a promising young star at quarterback in Brad Kaaya,
should the Miami Hurricanes be a run-first team in 2015?

“[Brad Kaaya] is the next upcoming Heisman hopeful down at the University of Miami,” said Miami Hurricanes legend Bennie Blades. “But the thing is we need to make sure that we can keep this young kid upright. He’s gonna have to make a few plays early with his feet. I tell people until our offensive line gels we’re gonna have to be smash and pound until we can get things going in the right direction.”
Blades: Until Canes’ OL Gels, Gonna Have to ‘Smash and Pound’ « CBS Miami

Is it known that the kid can't be kept upright?
I understand wanting to make runners run more until we figure things out, but it's just Bethune, FAU first anyway...we'd gel. But how do you turn Brad into one making plays with feet that he has yet to...idk

He's probably just speaking in generalities while he gives his opinion. How much inside information he is privy to I don't know. Given the youth of this OL and it's relative inexperience, we should all expect to hear these concerns. Despite the youth I am cautiously optimistic about the OL with one exception. Sunny Odogwu starting at RT concerns me despite his purported improvement.

Expecting a period of adjustment for this unit is just being realistic when you consider the low number of combined starts by this OL. It is fortunate for us that we get BCC and FAU to open the season. That should give Sunny plenty of live reps before Nebraska although by that time, I expect KC McDermott will have claimed the RT job.
So we have a weak OL and the strategy is to rely heavily on them to open holes in the run game?

Not necessarily but I suppose it's better than getting Kaaya killed.
A quick passing game Is a better option. If your QB is getting killed in a quick passing game then hang yourself. You don't need 5 Orlando Paces to run that sort of offense. But to take the ball out of your best player's hands because you're scared is typical Folden f@qgotry.

I agree but like you said, were talking about Guldens and Coley here. Just watch. Their brilliant plan will be to run the ball on every first and second down in typical predictable fashion thus setting up 3rd and long. If they do go to the quick passing game, what you will see is bubble screen after bubble screen.

One can't deny the coaches' emphasis of utilizing "pass catching RBs" for "quick passing game". Add in having WR types of TEs as Njoku & Herndon that create mismatch going out wide, then you have more options for multiple attacking offense for Kaaya. Bennie offered the keeping "Kaaya upright" possibly as a feature that must be worked out by Kehoe for not getting Kayaa killed for games # 3 and later.

That is a fair assessment for long passes downfield or passes with complex routes that need time to develop, therefore running the rock make way more sense coupled with that quick passing game utilizing RBs out of the backfield, TEs, and quick slants to WRs. Bennie might even be privy to the development that Kayaa has added a running option to his game.

I saw RGIII get killed airing out the ball a week or so ago when the Redskins could not protect him. I think that is the sentiment of caution for our "upcoming Heisman hopeful" that Bennie is fostering to Cane coaches; don't get the kid abused if you ain't gel-ling to protect him; do other things.

Cane2,

I can appreciate that you want to talk football. I admit that my dislike for this staff really sours my entire outlook on things. Having said that, I think that Coley has a plethora of weapons at his disposal. We have 4 very capable RBs that also have pass catching ability. We may not have one superstar but there is more than enough talent at the position.

We have a very intriguing group of TEs led by Dobard. It's the potential of Herndon and Njoku however that have really piqued my interest. As you mentioned above those two have the speed, athleticism and versatility to line up outside at WR, at TE or at Hback. From the beginning I have been very high on Herndon and Njoku. I thought they were both underrated during their recruitment. They can both play and could be big contributors during their time here. I am of the opinion that they could be factors this year.

We lost Phillip Dorsett at WR but again I think this is a very talented group with good depth. We all know what Stacy Coley is capable of. I think we will see the player we saw in 2013 after his unfortunate sophomore slump last year. I'm also a huge fan of Herb Waters and believe he is capable of having an excellent year. Some are down on him but all I've ever seen that kid do is make plays. Rashawn Scott is key in my opinion. If and I mean If he picks up where he left off then we could easily have a truly formidable WR corps especially when you add a guy like Braxton Berrios who is good enough to have contributed as a true freshman coming off an ACL tear.

Everything hinges on the play of the OL and Brad Kaaya and the skill players will be as effective, efficient and as explosive as the guys upfront allow them to be. We lost a lot of combined starts and experience but the good news is that the first team OL is legit in terms of ability and potential. They lack experience but all of them have played. Darling, Gall, Linder, Isidora and McDermott comprise a UM caliber OL. My concerns are how long it will take them to gel and depth. I'm also very nervous about Sunny Odogwu's ability to get it done. I think KC starts by the Nebraska game.

When I look over this offense, I see a unit that has the ability to be explosive and exciting as long as that OL can hold it down. James Coley has so many different options available to him and a superstar QB in the making in Brad Kaaya. Again if the OL holds up this offense should shred defenses. Franchise and yourself mentioned a quick passing game. We have the players but this is where I realize that we don't have Josh McDaniels on our sideline. I have some serious questions about Golden and Coleys ability to make the most out of what they have. Golden has proven himself to be a loser who is in over his head and Coley has yet to prove himself to be an adequate coordinator. There are so many exciting things Coley could do to create mismatches and blow defenses back to the stone age but I just can't shake the feeling that these coaches are just not up to the task. Maybe Kaaya mitigates this to some degree but I keep expecting to see an offense that could be prolific to be dragged down into predictable boring mediocrity by a bad philosophy and poor coaching.

Advertisement
Back