Army All-American game (recap)

mianjomar

Junior
Would really appreciate a summary of how our guys did in the game. Tough wading through all those pages.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Nesta a bully, Pope uncoverable, Hightower will move the chains, Jarren has a bright future, Lingard didn’t get the ball but he’ll be a stud.....and oh yeah f the trolls Tyson coming

Nesta is a bad mon ras clat.. constantly in the backfield. Hightower is a big receiver with good speed, possession guy. Lingard barley got in and when he did they were passing plays.. jarren has the goods, a lot faster than I expected, underthrew pope twice but that won't be a problem once he continue to get reps. Pope is fast aff, beat Brendan Riley a few times but was unable to get a catchable ball thrown at him. Got one catch and was circus type catch. Jobe was beat multiple times.. pat surtain was solid and Tyson was lockdown. We have to land DT Michael Thompson.. him and nesta would be a prob at the tackle spots

Tyson Cambpell is #1 CB in nation. Only catch on him was Hightower on a great back shoulder throw that was well timed and Hightower made a great play.

Hightower caught a ton of passes. You could tell his QBs loved him by how much they went to him in clutch situations. Like others said he will be a great possession guy, but he can do more...great vertical threat that can also go deep. I think he will be our most complete WR when AR82 leaves.

Same could be said with Pope on the East side (must have murdered the DBs in practice...QBs knew who to go to), but it was more as the deep threat. Jarren and the other QBs really wanted to get him the ball for the homerun, and he was open nearly everytime, but they could not get the ball to him.

Surtain looked ok...was beaten a few times...Ty is better right now for sure. They both look physically like NFL CBs, but Ty is the one that played like one.

Lingawd only got a couple of carries despite being the East captain. We later found out James Cook's coach Roldand Smith was East coach...SURPRISE!!!! They tried to feature him instead.

Jarren was good. Tucked it and ran a few times bc thats what you do in these all star games and your OL gets manhandled. Elusive kid, will do even better in RPOs than Rosier. Showed accuracy on intermediate passes. I think on his dime across the middle he was on the run when he threw it. Great pass. Gotta get the ball out in front of Pope on those 9 routes tho...Pope is electric. Overall Jarren showed FAR better decision making than the other 2 QBs. One was "allegedly" the #1 QB prospect in the nation, who went out and tossed 3 picks and a fumble. The other was a ND prospect he threw an ugly pick. Jarren did not turn the ball over and did not force any ill advised throws.

Last but DEFINITELY not least. Nesta the bully. This man dominated the West OL. He made a drive altering play every series. Beating double teams, slipping blocks and beating up QBs. Best DLman in the game and it was not close. We MUST keep him. I cannot say enough about how well this kid performed.

Oh and Jobe looked like a bum all day. Hilarious...numerous PIs, got beat for a TD the play after he gave up a bad PI in the endzone. Was taken deep several times. Seriously looked the worst out of the East secondary by a longshot. Maybe he will be better at safety...who knows for sure b/c he was not played there. Terrible corner.

Last edited:
Advertisement
watched every practice clip i saw, and of course the games. Heres my thought and rankings of Miami guys.

1.)Brevin Jordan-he is ready. Right now. I think he starts. Big has size strength. He is a grown man at TE/HB. Great body control for 250 pounds. He was making one handed grabs at practice. He is as polished of a TE as I’ve seen as a senior.

2.)Nesta Silvera-his quickness impressed me in one on ones at army practice. He fires off the ball low has great strength. He has a nasty attitude also. I thought he was the best Dt at the Army game, and frankly he is the best DT at either game. Like I said before yesterday’s game(it confirmed what I thought I knew) he can play meaningful minutes as a freshman. Clemson played in the Nc game consecutive year starting a true freshman DT in wilken 2015 and Lawrence 2016. Like I said earlier I don’t think he will start, but 2nd team.

3.)Dj Scaife-guy has been so impressive everywhere he competes. I thought he was the best OL on his team at the UA game. I think he can play RT as s true freshman, but can also play at either guard spot. I was more impressed with him at this game than Donaldson last year. Good feet, and strong. Had several pancakes. Got beat one time on speed around the edge. Very good prospect.

4.)Brian Hightower-he was so good after day 1, argument could be made he was 2nd best WR at Army game after St Brown. Big kid, deceptively fast, smooth. Smart football player, very composed. Let blocking develop on screen play, showed great body control sifting through traffic. Also didn’t give away ball coming in back shoulder where he beat Campbell who had great coverage.
I think he plays next season especially being an early enrollee. Very polished. No wonder why Dabo and Urban wanted this kid badly.

5.)Jarren Williams-after day 1, arguments could be made he performed on par or even better than Lawrence out there. Big kid, nice size already. His transition won’t be as tough as N’Kosi, but he won’t make as many “splash plays” imo. Good arm, fairly accurate, spins it well, and has good speed and mobility to run zone read or scramble. He outperformed Lawrence in 7 on 7 our at opening when they were both on same team during portions of that tournament. scuttlebutt is he has some leadership and intangibles at the position.

6.)Lorenzo Linguard-this setting does not show much for RB, and he wasn’t helped that James cooks coach Roland smith was coaching on east squad gave majority of snaps to cook. Lingard has good speed showed good hands in the clips I saw. I saw him make a tackle on special teams hustling just like Walton and Homer. He was named one of the captains for his team he was first on the field to practice. Enrolling early, Homer, Dallas, Linguard will be the 3 primary ball carriers imo.

7.)Mark Pope-Has elite stop start suddenness and quickness. Good speed not elite speed. I think he can be a baller, but he seriously needs about 10 pounds on muscle. Looks like he has never seen a weight room. I think he needs that strength, as he gets physically overpowered at times, gets knocked off his routes. Not sure how much of impact he can make in year 1, but year 2 and on he could be dynamic.

8.)Gurvan Hall-Safety like RB is harder to get a gauge in these settings imo. I saw him in a few one on ones he handled himself fine, got beaten badly by Elijah Moore which is to be expected. I loved his range though and recovery speed. Good athlete needs size and muscle too. Not sure how much of an impact in year 1, but year 2 and on watch out. His physicality and range are his strong suits.

9.)Cleveland Reed-I was impressed with Reed. Decent feet, wide body needs reshape his body some. Strong kid, strictly a guard. I think can start in year 2.

10.)Al Blades-tough physical CB. Plays with his hands tries to bully WRs get them off their routes. At his best when he plays press man. Always competes at a high level. Can get beat deep with speed.
Will give you 110% effort all the time. How soon he plays could depend on how good a tackler he is. I haven’t seen much, but he had some whifs in some seniors clips I saw. If he ain’t a smooth speedy cover corner he needs to be a physical aggressive tackler.

Target:
I didn’t include them in rankings of Canes:

11.)Michael Thompson-my 2nd favorite DT recruit at the games. Has great size, and mobility for his size. I wish we could sign this kid. It was be an A++ DT haul.

12.)Tyson Campbell- long CB, good hips, great speed. Good cover corner. Not extremely physical will need lots of coaching on tackling physical.

13.)Par Surtain Jr-tall long and lean. I think the quicker smaller guys would give him some issues, need to be matchup against the bigger WRs. Very fluid for his size. Not sure how physical he i haven’t seen enough of him tackl

Let no one besmirch the honor of our posters. I came to this thread with no other expectation than to laugh at the responses to yet another AA thread and merge it with snark and brevity.

Here I find genuine and in depth responses by multiple posters. Well done, gents. WELL DONE.

Went to the game - my son was invited to the underclassmen combine - and I agree with the comments above. I spoke with the father of one of our new players (I won’f say who it was) for quite a while and I asked him why Lingard didn’t get more touches. His response was, “His last name isn’t Cook and his brother isn’t in the NFL.” He went on to say that Cook should have been suspended from the game for violating curfew. He also said that this wasn’t the first time that Cook has demonstrated questionable behavior at an event (camp, official visit, etc.).

Last edited:
Advertisement
I dont Agree with Campbell of not being physical. That’s wrong. Watch his junior film

Went to the game - my son was invited to the underclassmen combine - and I agree with the comments above. I spoke with the father of one of our new players (I won’f say who it was) for quite a while and I asked him why Lingard didn’t get more touches. His response was, “His last name isn’t Cook and his brother isn’t in the NFL.” He went on to say that Cook should have been suspended from the game for violating curfew. He also said that this wasn’t the first time that Cook has demonstrated questionable behavior at an event (camp, official visit, etc.).

Cook = Cuck

Tyson Cambpell is #1 CB in nation. Only catch on him was Hightower on a great back shoulder throw that was well timed and Hightower made a great play.

Hightower caught a ton of passes. You could tell his QBs loved him by how much they went to him in clutch situations. Like others said he will be a great possession guy, but he can do more...great vertical threat that can also go deep. I think he will be our most complete WR when AR82 leaves.

Same could be said with Pope on the East side (must have murdered the DBs in practice...QBs knew who to go to), but it was more as the deep threat. Jarren and the other QBs really wanted to get him the ball for the homerun, and he was open nearly everytime, but they could not get the ball to him.

Surtain looked ok...was beaten a few times...Ty is better right now for sure. They both look physically like NFL CBs, but Ty is the one that played like one.

Lingawd only got a couple of carries despite being the East captain. We later found out James Cook's coach Roldand Smith was East coach...SURPRISE!!!! They tried to feature him instead.

Jarren was good. Tucked it and ran a few times bc thats what you do in these all star games and your OL gets manhandled. Elusive kid, will do even better in RPOs than Rosier. Showed accuracy on intermediate passes. I think on his dime across the middle he was on the run when he threw it. Great pass. Gotta get the ball out in front of Pope on those 9 routes tho...Pope is electric. Overall Jarren showed FAR better decision making than the other 2 QBs. One was "allegedly" the #1 QB prospect in the nation, who went out and tossed 3 picks and a fumble. The other was a ND prospect he threw an ugly pick. Jarren did not turn the ball over and did not force any ill advised throws.

Last but DEFINITELY not least. Nesta the bully. This man dominated the West OL. He made a drive altering play every series. Beating double teams, slipping blocks and beating up QBs. Best DLman in the game and it was not close. We MUST keep him. I cannot say enough about how well this kid performed.

Oh and Jobe looked like a bum all day. Hilarious...numerous PIs, got beat for a TD the play after he gave up a bad PI in the endzone. Was taken deep several times. Seriously looked the worst out of the East secondary by a longshot. Maybe he will be better at safety...who knows for sure b/c he was not played there. Terrible corner.

Know your history..Smith is a former cane
f118e84f-9245-4237-91a7-09096290a644.jpg

Cook is good..glad he went to uga

Advertisement
Let no one besmirch the honor of our posters. I came to this thread with no other expectation than to laugh at the responses to yet another AA thread and merge it with snark and brevity.

Here I find genuine and in depth responses by multiple posters. Well done, gents. WELL DONE.

You were sober this early?

The East coaching staff should be ashamed of themselves. They clearly favored a few players over the others. Compare how they gave reps to Cook and Lawrence to the West squad. The west rotated everyone equally. Lawrence had like 8 series.

The East coaching staff should be ashamed of themselves. They clearly favored a few players over the others. Compare how they gave reps to Cook and Lawrence to the West squad. The west rotated everyone equally. Lawrence had like 8 series.

i honestly think they tell them based off their ranking and fan base how to play them somewhat. Cook's coach was their and he obviously is committed to a team in the chamionship i expected him to get alot of reps. I have no clue why Lawrence played so much as much as he stunk it up

Advertisement
I dont Agree with Campbell of not being physical. That’s wrong. Watch his junior film

Exactly

Campbell was coming down hill in a hurry in his jr film. He tackles more like a S then a CB

He might be a former Cane but he's Cook's coach and obviously he cucked Lo here to get his kid extraordinary minutes. No other explanation from what it looks like.

He might be a former Cane but he's Cook's coach and obviously he cucked Lo here to get his kid extraordinary minutes. No other explanation from what it looks like.

well i mean he coached 1 kid 4 years and the other a week..Should of been expected. Just pointing out that the guy is acane and not a guy that would hate or go against us.

I really just wanted to see how Lingard looked physically and he is more filled out than i thought.

I dont expect to much from rbs in all star games with make shift ol;s. Lingard showed enough in practices for me.

Kid is the goods.

Advertisement
Back