Armondo Blount C/O 2025 Defensive End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Big loss.

But there's plenty of time to replace him since I'm assuming he wouldn't have contributed much until the 2025 season.

Smith to FSU would be a disaster though. Would be on the same level as watching Dalvin Cook destroy us every year for 3 years.
Seems like everything pointing towards FSU being the place if Smith does flip.

So yes in theory, this is true. In a perfect world, you land 2-high caliber DT's that provide instant-impact in the way we've seen Bear Alexander do it at USC (despite the rest of the defense turtle-shelling), FSU's acquisitions, etc.

****, throw in DB's while we're at it, a top tier QB, a safety, (yeah, now you're starting to understand why I'm growing concerned with this recruiting class, because we have A LOT of holes to fix if we want to be a 9+ win program in 2024). But you have to understand the very reasonable reservations I (and many others) have about the ability to land those guys. They are coveted by literally every major program in America.

1. If Mario Cristobal, who's forte is high school recruiting - can't land high school DT's, where is the confidence coming from that you think snagging a top 3 DT in the portal is remotely probable? You're going to have to fight off schools like Bama, UGA, LSU, Ohio St, Texas, A&M, FSU, UF, etc...

2. On top of that, we're getting out-bid by UF and FSU for recruits...you think we're going to out-bid some of these national programs for recruits that highly sought-after???

Yeah...let's just say I'm skeptical about that...we're not recruiting well enough at the position, AND we're not shelling out top dollar...math doesn't add up. We REALLY need Burroughs to be a dude, because we lucked out with that pickup.
Maybe I'm a glass half full type of fella.
QB - call me silly, but I see real potential in Emory. He is not winning a Heisman, but he can be a very good QB for us in Dawson's system. Real upside there.
DB - again, glass half full - we are right in the thick of things with Ellis Robinson. Day 1 starter if we can close that deal.
S - Trust the guys we have on the roster. Another year under the same D Coordinator can only help. If KK and JW come back for another year, its a bonus.

Advertisement
Take a deep breath. Recruiting is fluid. What is today's "reality" won't be the reality in December. Seen it happen too many times already.
I get it just following the bread crumbs. I know our insiders have said 1 thing which they get their info from the staff can't be mad at it. I've just seen that he's visited FSU a lot said the right things stayed for their whole game. Last year we got destroyed by FSU but Innis was supposedly one of the last people to leave. Not saying he's going to FSU but at this point I probably would feel better if he just stayed committed to OSU. Recruiting is fluid though like you said hopefully we beat them in a few weeks.

While losing Blount is a HUGE loss, I will try to look at the flip side of the coin here. Recruiting is no longer just limited to high school anymore. The portal has been equally or in some cases (FSU) more important than high school recruiting. Hitting on the right guys in the transfer portal means that you get college ready athletes who are ready to contribute immediately rather than having to go through a S&C regimen first to see the field. Can't minimize the loss of an elite high school prospect, but there might be a fixable solution lurking in the portal.
We dont sign the right guys. This is null and void.

Maybe I'm a glass half full type of fella.
QB - call me silly, but I see real potential in Emory. He is not winning a Heisman, but he can be a very good QB for us in Dawson's system. Real upside there.
DB - again, glass half full - we are right in the thick of things with Ellis Robinson. Day 1 starter if we can close that deal.
S - Trust the guys we have on the roster. Another year under the same D Coordinator can only help. If KK and JW come back for another year, its a bonus.
I guess I'm going more glass half empty here lol. I won't directly refute anything that you said, but to counter...

QB - Personally thought without the last scoring drive / OT, he looked how I expected a true freshman to look against allegedly a top 20 defense. He was handicapped by Dawson, but his balls lacked zip (pause). He woefully underthrew Young on the jump ball, and we were fortunate that Colbie was able to high point it. I will give him all the credit in the world for having the poise to withstand the horrendous start and keep battling out there, eventually making some good decisions with the ball and finding his guys. But - just like with TVD, you're always an injury away...and next year, who would your hypothetical backup be? I think this team's ceiling is 8 wins with Emory at the helm, we absolutely need a transfer QB as the #1 option IMO.

DB - Terrible position to be in at the University of Miami if we're already playing the "IF we land this guy" game. What if we don't flip the #1 corner from the #1 program in America? Our DB room aside from Porter is no bueno (referencing the guys that can contribute), and they're all the same body type. Desperately need Damari Brown to step up next season. Like Memnon, I am very, very down on our DB recruiting and the guys we're bringing in - lack of speed, consistency, and height. Not the greatest trio of traits.

S - This one I have less concern about. I did think Markeith would earn some more snaps, disappointed he hasn't. Jaden Harris at times has looked lost out there. I don't think James or Kam will come back imo, but if they do, then that's one less problem to worry about in '24.

Remember Norvell went 3-6 his first year and 5-7 his second. It shows how short-term the preception of a team lasts these days.
Correct, and it wasn't too long ago that the narrative regarding FSU was that they were a joke and didn't have the requisite money or resources to be a national player in this new era of NIL and the portal. Then they went 10-3 in Norvell's third year in 2022 and here we are in 2023 with FSU at 7-0 flipping Blount etc.....

It also wasn't long ago that the perception regarding UF was that Mario was stuffing G5 Billy in a locker and the Gators were going to win 5 games this season. Well, they have already won 5 games seven games into the season and just received a huge commitment from LJ McCray the DL from Mainland that Mario and JT were after like their lives depended on it.

Advertisement
Need more of our fans to stop wishing for FSU to be undefeated every year until we play them.
This is what happens. Would the flip have happened if FSU was WINLESS?

That’s what we should be rooting for when it comes to FSU.

Wish for dumb things, lose big prizes.
Yes of course because some fans wishing for FSU to be undefeated is what allowed them to be undefeated. Great porst!

How can we get outbid with all the misses?

At this point there should be so much money they should be using the money to light cigars just to have something to do with it since it didn’t go to anybody.
Narratives don’t match huh?

When we lose someone or anyone else it’s money. But if we get someone it’s not money it’s he loves the U. Then the other fan base said Miami offers more. It’s the same excuse on every forum

Supposedly we have all this DT money from whiffs. So that money talk saved up by whiffs is cap. Put two and two together and you know we just got beat.

If you’re outbid for 6 elite DTs when do reappropriate dollars to a position so you don’t have an absolute problem in one of the most important position groups?
Doesn’t make sense to me if we have money. Someone is capping.

I will say we just got stuffed in the locker straight up like no cap.

Advertisement
Narratives don’t match huh?

When we lose someone or anyone else it’s money. But if we get someone it’s not money it’s he loves the U. Then the other fan base said Miami offers more. It’s the same excuse on every forum

Supposedly we have all this DT money from whiffs. So that money talk saved up by whiffs is cap. Put two and two together and you know we just got beat.
Cribby said we were outbid and it wasn't particularly close.

Doesn’t make sense to me if we have money. Someone is capping.

I will say we just got stuffed in the locker straight up like no cap.
I think you might want to consider that we do have all that money but we have a limit as to how much we will spend on any given player. Kind of like the Pittsburgh Steelers or New England Patriots approach to contracts and roster management.

Either way, whatever it is, is not working. If this is their "business model", it isn't sustainable.

How can we get outbid with all the misses?

At this point there should be so much money they should be using the money to light cigars just to have something to do with it since it didn’t go to anybody.

When we used to lose kids to other schools, "bags" was the reason. Now, we're losing kids to other schools and "they're staying home" was the reason.

In all seriousness, DTs are the toughest position - I'd argue - to lure away and sign. All the big boys are after them - UGA, Bama, OSU, etc routinely sign 2-3 of these kids a year.

Advertisement
I think you might want to consider that we do have all that money but we have a limit as to how much we will spend on any given player. Kind of like the Pittsburgh Steelers or New England Patriots approach to contracts and roster management.

Either way, whatever it is, is not working. If this is their "business model", it isn't sustainable.
If we are operating like that we won’t be good. You can do that at Pitt and NE cause those guys are being paid millions already. They have to wait till free agency so u get something out of them. These pups ain’t never seen money like that you have to go all out or fall behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back