Areas for improvement (Offense)

Advertisement
King has struggled a little bit with downfield accuracy.
Pope & Harley need to be benched.
OL has had it's struggles, but that can only be fixed with recruiting.

Otherwise I'm gleeful about the offense.

Dude. We are putting up 500 every game and practically scoring at will and you're benching guys?

And the o-line has kept King's jersey clean all game for three three straight weeks as he stands back there and goes through multiple progressions.

Don't see what you're seeing man.

We need to send all our WRs to get an eye exam..
... I remember Andre Johnson getting to the NFL rookie camp and finding out that he had been playing with severe astigmatism which affected his ability to see clearly. He had been playing for years with compromised vision

While this isn't a bad point, I would expect this happens when they enroll by now. It's not 2002 anymore.

This offense is like the hottest chick any of us ugly asses has ever dated.

**** the little that's wrong with her, just enjoy the fact she's still seeing us and hope she keeps doing it.

Some of us were fans of national championship teams. I get your point, but the comparison ostensibly is to some of the greatest of all time.

This is only applicable if you became a fan around 2004.

Advertisement
Some of us were fans of national championship teams. I get your point, but the comparison ostensibly is to some of the greatest of all time.

This is only applicable if you became a fan around 2004.

Lmao.

It's very likely I've been going to Canes games since before you were born. I was there, in the Orange Bowl, when they won their first one and have seen or been in the stands for the rest. I've been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and been to hundreds of games.

I know what a Championship level offense, and defense for that matter, looks like. And this is a Championship level offense. We can and will score plenty of points against anyone and everyone this season. The rest of the bull**** on this thread is for wannabe armchair OCs who think they actually know something.

So spare me your 2004 fan nonsense and stick to predicting the whims of high school kids.

RPO means “run/pass option”. If King keeps on an RPO, he throws the ball. The zone read is where he decides to hand off or keep the ball himself and run. A lot of those plays are designed handoffs with no option. The idea is to make your zone read plays look exactly the same as your regular running plays. They’re not stupid enough to ask King to keep it and run too often. This is not Cam Newton or Tim Tebow just running into the pile 20 times a game.
This has been discussed so often on this site and people still obviously don't understand it...I honestly gave up, because it was clear that the majority of porsters weren't able to process the difference between "zone read" and "RPO" even though it should be clear.

Although - you do have the modern version of the triple option built into the RPO game - meaning, when run at a high level you have the option to give, keep, or throw - I don't think we have seen that part of our offense yet due to its innate complexity. With a compressed install, it has been clear that Lashlee wants us to rep our base concepts over and over while we ramp up.

I have to think we're going to see King keeping more as the season goes on. It may be as simple as trying to lay out a false / baiting tendency on film (Lash seems like he could be the type to do something devious like that) while keeping King healthy. When the game plan calls for it, maybe we start seeing King taking off more on the zone read. Not saying that is for sure the case - but I think it's at least a reasonable thought.

He's had 8 carries in each of the last two games...I can't imagine he'll get many more than that going forward though. Maybe 12-15 at the absolute most, including the off-script creative plays.

Lmao.

It's very likely I've been going to Canes games since before you were born. I was there, in the Orange Bowl, when they won their first one and have seen or been in the stands for the rest. I've been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and been to hundreds of games.

I know what a Championship level offense, and defense for that matter, looks like. And this is a Championship level offense. We can and will score plenty of points against anyone and everyone this season. The rest of the bull**** on this thread is for wannabe armchair OCs who think they actually know something.

So spare me your 2004 fan nonsense and stick to predicting the whims of high school kids.

Wow, you're veeerrrrry sensitive old man. Have you spent the entire time at the beach since that game? It sounds like you have an abundance of sand in your ******.

You can have a "championship level offense and defense" three games into the season against mediocre at best competition. Apparently you think that's the best you can do. I'll take an actual championship team.

Amazing after all these years you haven't learned not to count your chickens before they've hatched.

This has been discussed so often on this site and people still obviously don't understand it...I honestly gave up, because it was clear that the majority of porsters weren't able to process the difference between "zone read" and "RPO" even though it should be clear.

Although - you do have the modern version of the triple option built into the RPO game - meaning, when run at a high level you have the option to give, keep, or throw - I don't think we have seen that part of our offense yet due to its innate complexity. With a compressed install, it has been clear that Lashlee wants us to rep our base concepts over and over while we ramp up.

I have to think we're going to see King keeping more as the season goes on. It may be as simple as trying to lay out a false / baiting tendency on film (Lash seems like he could be the type to do something devious like that) while keeping King healthy. When the game plan calls for it, maybe we start seeing King taking off more on the zone read. Not saying that is for sure the case - but I think it's at least a reasonable thought.

He's had 8 carries in each of the last two games...I can't imagine he'll get many more than that going forward though. Maybe 12-15 at the absolute most, including the off-script creative plays.
They have run the “triple option” play but only like two times this year. I’m not sure what the real terminology is for it but you hit the right notes. They essentially run the zone read but leak the H back into the flats as the “pitch” man. The pitch is a forward pass though. They did it once against UAB and I’m pretty sure they ran it once against FSU but I haven’t re watched that game yet. I love this offense and I’m impressed they’ve been able to drill it into the line’s head to not drift too far downfield on the RPO. I think we had one illegal man downfield penalty against FSU and that’s all.

Advertisement
Wow, you're veeerrrrry sensitive old man. Have you spent the entire time at the beach since that game? It sounds like you have an abundance of sand in your ******.

You can have a "championship level offense and defense" three games into the season against mediocre at best competition. Apparently you think that's the best you can do. I'll take an actual championship team.

Amazing after all these years you haven't learned not to count your chickens before they've hatched.

Awwww get called out for saying something stupid and you have to resort sand in the vag? Sad.

There's a difference between accepting, counting your chickens and understanding where we are and where we are headed.

We have a proven, Heisman level, senior QB who makes excellent decisions in the pocket and under pressure, a three headed monster at RB, a jelling offensive line anchored at LT by an All Conference caliber senior that's allowing less than a sack a game and the best TE combo in the country. Only problem I see is at WR where we are talented and inconsistent. We will see how young guys like Payton progress as the season continues. Not even going to get into what Lash has done here to put it all together so quickly.

That's as good an offense as you're going to find in today's college football. Just cause you've decided to be in wait and see mode to protect your feelings doesn't change that.

Now feel free to go back to fan boy mode hoping someone drops you a nugget on who's going where.

Awwww get called out for saying something stupid and you have to resort sand in the vag? Sad.

There's a difference between accepting, counting your chickens and understanding where we are and where we are headed.

We have a proven, Heisman level, senior QB who makes excellent decisions in the pocket and under pressure, a three headed monster at RB, a jelling offensive line anchored at LT by an All Conference caliber senior that's allowing less than a sack a game and the best TE combo in the country. Only problem I see is at WR where we are talented and inconsistent. We will see how young guys like Payton progress as the season continues. Not even going to get into what Lash has done here to put it all together so quickly.

That's as good an offense as you're going to find in today's college football. Just cause you've decided to be in wait and see mode to protect your feelings doesn't change that.

Now feel free to go back to fan boy mode hoping someone drops you a nugget on who's going where.

Azzmunchercane is one of those dudes who thinks he is smarter than he is. Talks a big game, but can't back it up. He is very insecure and seeks the acceptance from strange men on an internet football forum. He was probably sodomized by an uncle or during a boy scout sleepover. Definately has daddy issues.

King has struggled a little bit with downfield accuracy.
Pope & Harley need to be benched.
OL has had it's struggles, but that can only be fixed with recruiting.

Otherwise I'm gleeful about the offense.
I think the OL is handling their business. No sacks given up so far is all you can ask for from them. I see a nice pocket for King most of the time unless they are blitzing. OL not the problem at this point.

No QB bats 1.000 on read/option. Some DE's play it well and can make the QB's read cloudy.
I don't think it's anything we need to be concerned about.

I honestly can't point to anything we need to improve on. Against FSU we scored on every position of the first half.
We have seen this offense improve weekly.

I would like to see some of the younger WR's get a chance, but I'm also not at practice. I don't know who's ready and who isn't.
I know some people wanna bench Harley or Pope but that's not gonna happen. Those guys are veterans and you REALLY gotta stink up the joint to get benched as a vet...or the young player in front of you has to be SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Advertisement
a lot of "misreads" and keeps by king are probably by design. same with play call after big gains. they're setting **** up.

King keeping on the RPO, even with no gain, sets up plays later. That, and the motion, set up Knighton's big pass play against Louisville. It's nice seeing an OC use plays to set a trap later. It's nice seeing players smart enough to make adjustments like Jordan did on the first TD against FSU. He went vertical when he saw the safety crash down. That's coaching. Having King run the offense is a luxury. He's making smart decisions and protecting the ball.
The play that set up the Knighton touchdown wasn’t an option play. It was quarterback power. It’s straight running play where they pull the backside guard and the quarterback follows him like a lead blocker. On the touchdown, they pulled the guard (something you rarely see on pass plays), King took a fake step forward, pretending to run the power and he drew all the linebackers in. All while sneaking Knighton out behind the linebackers who all bit on the run fake. Essentially King play actioned himself.

The only thing on offense that I've seen not working consistently is King hitting the open throws on some of the long balls. Even the running game, when it doesn't generate yards, has ended up setting up plays later in the game.

I'm mainly concerned with the defense, especially the LB's. The DL has been doing ok. Harrison-Hunte is about to take Ford's snaps. Silvera is coming on, but whatever they're doing, they're giving up chunk running plays, especially outside. I know Diaz has to see the issue, and hopefully he'll use the bye week to make some adjustments. Listening to the OBB podcast, they said Miami has given up 55 plays of 10 yards or more. Pitt shut Louisville down. Their RB had one long run for a TD, and not much else. I never thought the defense would be the weak spot on the team, but they're going to have to make some changes before Clemson.

Advertisement
We do this somewhat delayed handoff where King places the ball in the RB's gut and holds on to it for like 2 seconds before completing the handoff that's gained maybe 3 yards all season. That could be done away with. Also Harley's baby sized hands are going to be a problem all year but the man gets open.

Advertisement
Back