Areas for improvement (Offense)

ball915

All-American
From what we've seen Rhett Lashlee has been the best hire we've had in the last decade with Manny as DC being second. The offense is completely revamped and we finally are putting our players in a position to maximize their skill set. Couple trends that we need to keep an eye on as while there aren't many weaknesses on offense so far.

1. King on RPO keep is often the wrong read for not a great gain.
2. Every time we break a big play usually run and we go quick that next play it is stuffed putting us in 2nd and long.
3. Our separation at WR is much better but the same two continue to have drops in Harley and Pope.

It's really hard to find anything else but would say that these are things that could be cleaned up and am looking forward to seeing this Lashlee O against a defense of the Clemson caliber.

Advertisement
1. King on RPO keep is often the wrong read for not a great gain. This could be by design - expect more keeps as the season progresses.
2. Every time we break a big play usually run and we go quick that next play it is stuffed putting us in 2nd and long. Another thing that will change as we move through the season. Expect big shots even after big gains.
3. Our separation at WR is much better but the same two continue to have drops in Harley and Pope. Jug machine, tennis balls and more time after practice with King this week.

From what we've seen Rhett Lashlee has been the best hire we've had in the last decade with Manny as DC being second. The offense is completely revamped and we finally are putting our players in a position to maximize their skill set. Couple trends that we need to keep an eye on as while there aren't many weaknesses on offense so far.

1. King on RPO keep is often the wrong read for not a great gain.

WTF are you talking about? He's been money. He has given a little too much on the Zone read run but I'm sure that's to keep him healthy and we'll see him keep more in big games.
2. Every time we break a big play usually run and we go quick that next play it is stuffed putting us in 2nd and long.

Those are set calls after big gainers that are designed into the offense to make it simple to continue to move with speed and to catch the defense off balance and hopefully not set.. That's gonna happen. They just have to break tendency some in the big games.
3. Our separation at WR is much better but the same two continue to have drops in Harley and Pope.

Our separation at WR is mediocre. Harley is stone hands. Pope appears to me to be unfocused and needs to work harder in the Gym. I pray that Redding and Payton step up and have their superior physical talent overcome their lack of experience because the only thing this offense needs to become stupid LSU/Burrow/Video Game level is dominant WR play.
It's really hard to find anything else but would say that these are things that could be cleaned up and am looking forward to seeing this Lashlee O against a defense of the Clemson caliber.

Oh and if Lashlee ever gets real talent on the offensive line.... Its just amazing what he's been able to do with a mediocre o-line and mediocre WRs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
King has struggled a little bit with downfield accuracy.
Pope & Harley need to be benched.
OL has had it's struggles, but that can only be fixed with recruiting.

Otherwise I'm gleeful about the offense.
We are averaging 43 points per game and lead the p5 in points scored with 130...but sure, let's bench our leading receivers.

Advertisement
1. King on RPO keep is often the wrong read for not a great gain. This could be by design - expect more keeps as the season progresses.
2. Every time we break a big play usually run and we go quick that next play it is stuffed putting us in 2nd and long. Another thing that will change as we move through the season. Expect big shots even after big gains.
3. Our separation at WR is much better but the same two continue to have drops in Harley and Pope. Jug machine, tennis balls and more time after practice with King this week.
It's been both. Not only has he handed off when he could have kept, but he has kept when he should have handed off. I think this gets ironed out soon. It really is nitpicking, and I am thankful this is one of our "problems".

Penalties are still an issue. It happens with tempo offenses, but we can get even more efficient with some gains there. AND CATCH THE **** BALL WRS!
Thank you, CATCH THE **** BALL.. This is the biggest improvement for me and next it's PENALTIES, last but not least RUN BLOCKING has to improve too, with the caliber backs we have, we need road graders!! Now none of these issues are bad bad but definitely needs improvement..

Advertisement
From what we've seen Rhett Lashlee has been the best hire we've had in the last decade with Manny as DC being second.

How dare you besmirch the great Jon Richt???

I heard he had to retire as a QB's coach because the NCAA and NFL got together and said it wouldn't be fair for everyone else.

Play someone else, play anyone else, don't let them back on the field.

Harley is a senior and Pope a junior. If you're not catching the ball by now, it's time to move on.

We need to send all our WRs to get an eye exam..
... I remember Andre Johnson getting to the NFL rookie camp and finding out that he had been playing with severe astigmatism which affected his ability to see clearly. He had been playing for years with compromised vision

Advertisement
RPO means “run/pass option”. If King keeps on an RPO, he throws the ball. The zone read is where he decides to hand off or keep the ball himself and run. A lot of those plays are designed handoffs with no option. The idea is to make your zone read plays look exactly the same as your regular running plays. They’re not stupid enough to ask King to keep it and run too often. This is not Cam Newton or Tim Tebow just running into the pile 20 times a game.

King keeping on the RPO, even with no gain, sets up plays later. That, and the motion, set up Knighton's big pass play against Louisville. It's nice seeing an OC use plays to set a trap later. It's nice seeing players smart enough to make adjustments like Jordan did on the first TD against FSU. He went vertical when he saw the safety crash down. That's coaching. Having King run the offense is a luxury. He's making smart decisions and protecting the ball.

King has struggled a little bit with downfield accuracy.
Pope & Harley need to be benched.
OL has had it's struggles, but that can only be fixed with recruiting.

Otherwise I'm gleeful about the offense.
What O line issues we having this year! They are alot sounder this year. Nothing a good coach couldn't do! Our line issues were incompetent coaches (Searles and Enos buddy) the past years!

Advertisement
Back