Are we really going full-on air raid?

Advertisement
What does full-on Air Raid even mean?
I’m assuming the Hal Mumme/Mike Leach style that throws the ball every down that literally no coach uses anymore. Once you understand that most of the people here don’t watch college football outside of occasional Miami games and the national championship game, you get why people say certain things. I mean there was one dude arguing against the air raid because he thought that’s what Houston was running in 1990 and he didn’t like that. The guy’s example was literally from last century. This is who you’re dealing with here a lot of the time.

I’m assuming the Hal Mumme/Mike Leach style that throws the ball every down that literally no coach uses anymore. Once you understand that most of the people here don’t watch college football outside of occasional Miami games and the national championship game, you get why people say certain things. I mean there was one dude arguing against the air raid because he thought that’s what Houston was running in 1990 and he didn’t like that. The guy’s example was literally from last century. This is who you’re dealing with here a lot of the time.
People don't get the Air Raid. I'd love to explain but it'll be too boring.

Advertisement
Well the phrasing of the question then is... you know what I mean, right? I don't want to be that guy.

Well, if you look at most of the responses my phrasing seemed to be understood. You are the outlier, it appears, if you know what I mean. I aim for the meaty part of the bell curve.

Well, if you look at most of the responses my phrasing seemed to be understood. You are the outlier, it appears, if you know what I mean. I aim for the meaty part of the bell curve.
theres not that much meat on my bone rn...

you know what, lets end the conversation

We need the personnel. Can our WRs catch the ball? If not, there’s no way TVD is dropping dimes all over the field.

Advertisement
What does full-on Air Raid even mean?

The origins of the Air Raid come from a two minute offense. So it was extremely pass heavy, at pace.

Run schemes are to be kept simple, (No huddle, fast pace) usually with a ton of inside zone relative to other run calls because it matches up with pass protection easily.

As its evolved coaches have added all types of more complicated power run schemes, RPO's, read options etc.

Full-On air raid would probably mean a more primitive early Leach type version.

Lest we forget, 40% of poRsters still think an RPO means we're running the spread option.

Holgorsen has said he wanted more run in his scheme. I think we are going to an hybrid. You cant recruit the size OL we have amd tell them to pass block all game. No way. You gonna have to meet in the middle and have series where man head getting torn off. Houston OL was pretty poor, as were we. But we need to be able to air it out and go fast when required. Then turn around and milk the game away when we have a big lead.

Advertisement
Holgorsen has said he wanted more run in his scheme. I think we are going to an hybrid. You cant recruit the size OL we have amd tell them to pass block all game. No way. You gonna have to meet in the middle and have series where man head getting torn off. Houston OL was pretty poor, as were we. But we need to be able to air it out and go fast when required. Then turn around and milk the game away when we have a big lead.
Mike Leach’s offensive lines at Texas Tech were enormous

After watching @Stevo365 breakdown i realize alot of things Houston fans blamed Dawson for were as a result of them having a terrible defense, average OL and a QB who is actually not that great despite the numbers. They came into the season with NY6 aspirations and didnt live up to it.

Im not totally dismissing their claims but they also lost their dynamic RB in the offseason as well. Its funny Gattis could say he had the same issues, except Dawson still had the offense go 36ppg. TVD is gonna eat again.

Advertisement
I went and looked it up, they were actually huge for real. Only person under 6'6 was the center at 6'3 292. The LT was 6'7 304 everyone else was 6'6 325 minimum.
They would play these super wide splits too so pass rushers had to go really wide to get around them. You normally don’t think about huge linemen with a pass heavy scheme but Leach always had huge guys, even if they weren’t great blockers

Advertisement
Back