Are we really going full-on air raid?

Salt

"Assigned species at birth"
I am wondering if we are going the way of Georgia who hired a guy in Monkin from an air raid coaching tree (so I have heard) but he adjusted his offensive scheme to also incorporate power run concepts to fit their oline strengths. Also employed multiple tight ends.

You can get the best of both worlds in a hybrid system that incorporates power run schemes with air raid passing and get more balanced. Mario is recruiting behemoths who want to maul people. Going fully air raid will not take advantage of this and it might turn off the type of olinemen Mario likes to recruit. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
I am wondering if we are going the way of Georgia who hired a guy in Monkin from an air raid coaching tree (so I have heard) but he adjusted his offensive scheme to also incorporate power run concepts to fit their oline strengths. Also employed multiple tight ends.

You can get the best of both worlds in a hybrid system that incorporates power run schemes with air raid passing and get more balanced. Mario is recruiting behemoths who want to maul people. Going fully air raid will not take advantage of this and it might turn off the type of olinemen Mario likes to recruit. Any thoughts?

I would have to think when Mario met with Dawson he relayed that he wants to be adaptive and have power run schemes with better passing attack.

The way we are recruiting especially on the Oline suggests that IMO

plane GIF

Advertisement
I would have to think when Mario met with Dawson he relayed that he wants to be adaptive and have power run schemes with better passing attack.

Mario / UM was basically 100% shut out trying to land #1 WR's in the transfer portal ... because of the offensive scheme and production achieved in 2022. Mario wants to be able to lock up 1-2 elite WR's in every class and have a potent passing attack capability combined with a brutally physical run game. He needed to bring in an OC that has a history of being able to not only run an offense with an effective passing attack but also has a history of effective WR recruiting. Add Hankerson to the staff and sign Gary Bryant from the transfer portal immediately.

It is going to be very interesting to see what modidications are done whether it be in recruiting or scheme wise.

Mario / UM was basically 100% shut out trying to land #1 WR's in the transfer portal ... because of the offensive scheme and production achieved in 2022. Mario wants to be able to lock up 1-2 elite WR's in every class and have a potent passing attack capability combined with a brutally physical run game. He needed to bring in an OC that has a history of being able to not only run an offense with an effective passing attack but also has a history of effective WR recruiting. Add Hankerson to the staff and sign Gary Bryant from the transfer portal immediately.
I like what you're smokin'. May it be so!!

If Miami has success on offense next season, our WR class is going to be ridiculous in our next class.

Advertisement
I have a good feeling that even if we don't perform well against the better teams in his first year, we should at least have a good chance for 8 wins, which is the number I feel like Mario needs in order to have another killer year in recruiting and then (knock on wood) we hopefully see a big step forward in 25'.

I'll be disappointed if our O doesn't average over 30 a game this year.

My gawd I hope so, the crap we been tryna do for dam near 20 years hasnt worked.. And bro style crap Mario had last year was most disgusting thing I paid money to see in I dont know how long.. I still cant wrap my head around last year.. WHAT. THE. ****.
While I agree its time to go with more modern concepts on offense, the bro style we saw from Gatt-*** was a glue huffing version of bro style.

Advertisement
Todays air raid is not the same Hal Mumme / Mike Leach stuff from
20 years ago. Yes we’ll use space, yes we’ll use more pace , yes we’ll have much better route concepts but Dawson will run the ball. It’s an important part of his offenses.

that may be but the other issue is the ratio of pass to run. People also assume (and I include myself) that you may see closer to a 60/40 (more or less) split between pass and run in an "air-raid" attack.

I am sure Mario wants to even that ratio up a bit. I am not sure what the ratio has been in Dawson's other stops.

that may be but the other issue is the ratio of pass to run. People also assume (and I include myself) that you may see closer to a 60/40 (more or less) split between pass and run in an "air-raid" attack.

I am sure Mario wants to even that ratio up a bit. I am not sure what the ratio has been in Dawson's other stops.
That’s not how Dawson does business. He had more runs than passes per game in 21 and only 7 more passes a game in 22. Todays air raid uses more run out of the spread than how it originated. L Riley is the same, the run is a big part of his o.

Dawson is pretty **** balanced.

200.gif

Advertisement
Does sprinkling in a couple traps or counters a game make you power? At what point is it “power spread”?

Advertisement
Back