Are Miami fans fair weather fans?

When it goes well, we have record breaking years in the sale of tickets, fan gear, and everyone in the tri county area gets super excited and everyone begins to make statements such as “we back”

When it goes bad; the comments are the following

“ I am giving up on this team”
“I don’t think I will be renewing my tickets”
“ I am flying a banner over the stadium”
“Burning my Hurricane gear”

And of course all the nasty words towards coaches and players!

Yes I agree we need changes, but we need true fans to be proud of The U! Let’s get behind the players, the recruits and the city and be proud in whatever type of weather and situation and declare we are THE U!

Not really at least in my case and probably the case of most of the poster complaining. We complain because we care about the school. I had basketball season tickets for a while and will continue to do so in the future. I don’t expect them to win a national championship but at least they put a decent product on the field, are competent and win most of the time I go to the games. Coach L does an excellent job with the limited resources that he have. Most of the other arenas in the ACC make the wasco center look like a junior high gym but somehow he is able to recruit good players and properly coach them.

The football team on the other hand has been a total disaster under the four past coaches. I had my hopes that this year we were going to do better. My hopes were to go to the ACC championship and maybe loose respect fully. This is however not the case because of the offense and special team coaching and recruiting. There should not be any excuse for Miami to score 13 14 and 12 points in the last four games against teams that have been torch in the previous weeks. This is about the six year in a row that whenever we loose one game we loose the next two. I thought this was the year that we were going to end this habit.

Advertisement
Who gives a fck...Would you continue to support your your local pizza shop if they changed owners after 20 years and started making terrible food?

You want changes? Hit them where it hurts. If the fans continue to spend their money by showing up and buying merchandise, what would be the incentive to change anything?

Complaining about a clearly inferior product when we are paying a ton of money for it is not being a fair weather fan. It's called not being a mark, chump, or sucker. The only thing that deserves unconditional support are your kids. It's college football, but for the coaches it is a business ... they are getting paid you know ... and they aren't getting it done. Nobody here is going to cheer for the Gators or the Noles now. 15 years is a long time to sit through this crap and people are frustrated. The people who know football and actually watch it and understand it were the ones saying to pump the brakes last year ... we had clear flaws, both player personnel and COACHING. This isn't a new issue and everyone will be here until it's fixed. But we can vent from time to time .... or every week.

When it goes well, we have record breaking years in the sale of tickets, fan gear, and everyone in the tri county area gets super excited and everyone begins to make statements such as “we back”

Yes I agree we need changes, but we need true fans to be proud of The U! Let’s get behind the players, the recruits and the city and be proud in whatever type of weather and situation and declare we are THE U!

Let me stop you. I’ve seen dudes on this board that have been posting since 2002–from our last title, all the way through the bad coker years, the Shannon years, Golden, and now this bullshat.

I think the fair weather fans are the ones that start threads about fair-weather fans. You guys are like the old ladies in church that catches the Holy Ghost each and every Sunday’s. You are all actors...it’s a show to try and “sell” us on your commitment to the good word, or in this instance, Canes football.

Real fans don’t give a **** about fair weather anything. We’re about them W’s

Advertisement
**** outta here. If anybody is still a Miami fan in 2018 they are absolutely committed. Our bandwagon left a long long time ago.
You are almost right. Last year during our winning streak and the intro of the turnover chain, quite a few people jumped on the bandwagon. They thought that we were finally seeing the rebirth of great Canes football. This year those bandwagon fans jumped ship and no longer have any interest in Canes football. This phenomenon is not unusual. Everyone loves a winner. In sports and other aspects in life.

Been ****** weather for nearly two decades. This program has gone off the rails, due to poor decisions at the top. It's hard to ask people to keep on keepin on, when the product is just about having a product and not about winning.

When I have clients come to me and the want to participate in an athletic event, my first question is, do you to complete or compete and their answer shows me their level of commitment. Our BOT and various presidents and ADs have been in it to complete the seasons - not field a product that can compete. There's no committment to the legacy I grew up watching, back in the early 80s. If you think our fans are ****ed off now - try putting this slop, on the field in front of that generation. I get supporting the program and the team. But at what point do you say - enough. This is or was The U.

Advertisement
Didn't realize asking for a team to be good, which you fund out of your own pockets, makes you a fair weather fan.
In that case take all of my money and field the tennis team cause I'm instructed to blindly follow my team and never criticize cause poor baby might have his little feelings hurt.

I’ll be watching & spending my money when they’re 1-10.

Miami fans are gluttons for punishment and obsessed with tailgating. Stop buying season tickets people.

Fair weather no. Ohio State fans were booing at halftime yesterday and they are something like 78 and 7 in the Urban Meyer era.

College football is a different animal now driven by money. Fans expect more when College coaches and their staffs are the highest paid people on the states payrolls. Players are making decisions to look out for themselves and decline bowl games or expect to be paid to play. Fan bases are living in the past. Its a full fledged business now and all stakeholders know it.

What made college football great was going to games and being around happy people who were having fun like yourself. Somewhere we lost that as the college game morphed into big business.

Advertisement

The issue is the average South Floridian has so many entertainment options: beaches, boating, nightlife. If the Miami Canes product isn't good, the other choices will take the dollars.

We will never be an Ohio State or Nebraska for this reason, and the fact that the University only has 8000 students as compared to 40,000 at the big schools.

The anger on this board is because we expect to be a top team. We are in the richest talent pool in the nation, and we have a storied history . We should not be getting shut out in the second half by teams like BC and Duke.

The issue is the average South Floridian has so many entertainment options: beaches, boating, nightlife. If the Miami Canes product isn't good, the other choices will take the dollars.

We will never be an Ohio State or Nebraska for this reason, and the fact that the University only has 8000 students as compared to 40,000 at the big schools.

The anger on this board is because we expect to be a top team. We are in the richest talent pool in the nation, and we have a storied history . We should not be getting shut out in the second half by teams like BC and Duke.
We are losing too many elite players from the state of Miami to other programs. Last 4 coaches are a big problem but our 15 years of mediocrity no longer is a magnet for a lot of the best recruits. They go to the hot programs. Bama, Clemson, Ohio State. Oklahoma etc. . Same fall off in talent is happening at fsu and uf.

Advertisement
Back