Off-Topic Archeological Finds

My badly stated point was supposed to emphasize that early man - Neanderthal weren't in Western Canada, the Rockies, Alaska, and the Kamchatka Peninsula and further West across present day Russia.

Or were they? Maybe their first cousins - but for certain - much, much larger?

Either way, animals seem to find areas mankind are reluctant to settle. The idea that FEW primitives would prefer larger, more dangerous animals over smaller, more plentiful animals - is to me ludicrous. I would suggest that scenario is because the "experts" don't have any other explanation for this major extinction event. Let's see - I'm hungry - and rather than take deer, pigs, elk, caribou, seals, fish, or even bears - I'm gonna take on a huge SOB that can squash me like a bug.

It's just that I've spent a bit of time on the tundra, in higher alpine altitudes, on the ice cap, in eastern swamps, savannah's, southern forests, deep southeastern asia jungles, and I just find it difficult to even contemplate wiping out a species across two continents. In some jungles even today - you can run across wild elephants by accident - and you're not even ON the African continent. It'll startle the **** out of you, and God help you if you're sleeping across the track of their trail.

Those they found and continue to find - were quick frozen. Some still had food in their mouths - didn't have time to even swallow before they were insta-covered and quick frozen. Bones, skin, and tissue debris many feet deep - like one can imagine a huge debris line after high tide.

I LOVE discussing this stuff! It's a royal ***** to try to find others who are interested in these topics!
@UMFarArcher ....My Man, if you saw what my *** has trudged through in the past 28yrs in regards to Artifact hunting, you'd be stunned. I'm talking through the nastiest of Swamps with Snake Chaps on, dealing with Moccasins, Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Yellow Jackets, Wild Boars, etc....just to get access on notable Artifact areas (Especially the Green Swamp)

Advertisement
I've got a Museum collection worth of Paleolithic, Archaic, Woodland/Gulf Coastal, Mississipian, Historic, Artifacts....Everything from Mammoth, Mastodon Tusks, to Extinct Bison Skulls, to Projectile Points all from Florida....I've got 2yrs of College (not for credits) at Valencia in Pre-Columbian Fl Archaeology and Anthropology...and 28yrs of Surface Hunting, Excavating, Scuba and Snorkeling all throughout Florida. I'd be viewed as an amateur Archaeologist, but my collection would make any Archaeologist in Fl blush...as I have many times.
Didn’t you get in trouble for that stunt in the Central American jungle years back???

F21BE08F-1772-4E40-A47D-90812E22D97C.gif

Learned about Göbekli Tepe not too long ago reading Graham Hancock. Pretty fascinating IMO. Massive ruins in Turkey only partially excavated. Dating back some 13k years - back when we were primitive 'hunter-gatherers'. I absolutely believe we're a species with amnesia.

Göbekli Tepe: The World's First Religious Temple - The Fountain ...'s First Religious Temple - The Fountain ...
View attachment 230268
View attachment 230269

Or a flood…….or nukes…….

Advertisement
Advertisement
I've got a Museum collection worth of Paleolithic, Archaic, Woodland/Gulf Coastal, Mississipian, Historic, Artifacts....Everything from Mammoth, Mastodon Tusks, to Extinct Bison Skulls, to Projectile Points all from Florida....I've got 2yrs of College (not for credits) at Valencia in Pre-Columbian Fl Archaeology and Anthropology...and 28yrs of Surface Hunting, Excavating, Scuba and Snorkeling all throughout Florida. I'd be viewed as an amateur Archaeologist, but my collection would make any Archaeologist in Fl blush...as I have many times.
Ho Li Crap! I already liked you already - but that's a wrap! Damm!

Years ago, I found a little stone statue in Destin, Florida right on the bay side of the waterline - and a girl talked me out of it. Large oyster pits and pottery shards - and all I can figure is someone had to bring that stone from some distance - as we just don't have easily found rocks anywhere in the "vicinity." But YOU - you're doing it!

@UMFarArcher ....My Man, if you saw what my *** has trudged through in the past 28yrs in regards to Artifact hunting, you'd be stunned. I'm talking through the nastiest of Swamps with Snake Chaps on, dealing with Moccasins, Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Yellow Jackets, Wild Boars, etc....just to get access on notable Artifact areas (Especially the Green Swamp)
Any interesting potential in the St Johns River? The areas around Hontoon Island should be rich in some archeological prospects due to the ancient population that existed there some 6000-12000 years ago. Given the gator population I don't look at snorkeling or scuba as realistic methods of searching in the river but I have considered picking up an underwater drone camera for that purpose.

Ho Li Crap! I already liked you already - but that's a wrap! Damm!

Years ago, I found a little stone statue in Destin, Florida right on the bay side of the waterline - and a girl talked me out of it. Large oyster pits and pottery shards - and all I can figure is someone had to bring that stone from some distance - as we just don't have easily found rocks anywhere in the "vicinity." But YOU - you're doing it!
Destin/SanDestin is where I learned about Indian Artifacts in 1994. I hunted Choctawhatchee Bay for 7yrs...both North and South sides. North side (Hammock Pt and Alaqua Bayou is Eglin Air Force property. Had to go to Jackson Guard and get a recreation pass in case MPs stopped you. I hunted that entire Bay. Had a killer spot in Freeport. And a ridiculous spot on the South side on Chat Holley Rd. Here I am hunting at a washout in 1998
CAM00155.jpg
that produced Spearheads, Beads, Gorgets, Bannerstones etc...

Last edited:
Any interesting potential in the St Johns River? The areas around Hontoon Island should be rich in some archeological prospects due to the ancient population that existed there some 6000-12000 years ago. Given the gator population I don't look at snorkeling or scuba as realistic methods of searching in the river but I have considered picking up an underwater drone camera for that purpose.
I don’t know how anyone swims in those rivers given what’s there.

Advertisement
Potential???...That's an understatement....Incredible River for Artifacts. I found thousands of $$$ in and around the St John's the last 20yrs.

I don’t know how anyone swims in those rivers given what’s there.
I see people on paddle boards by Blue Springs State Park ... then 500 yards up river we see 10' gators on the river bank sunning themselves. Not very inviting.

Advertisement
I see people on paddle boards by Blue Springs State Park ... then 500 yards up river we see 10' gators on the river bank sunning themselves. Not very inviting.
Yeah, it’s not like the gators aren’t where the paddle boards are too.

Advertisement
Back