Applewhite recruiting

Justheretosay

Freshman
People wanted a big time recruiter for an oc along with a prolific offensive mind. Well then let’s look at Applewhite. Now first let’s look at what he did at UT.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Major-Applewhite-49/AllTimeRecruits/

Pretty good list right? Well it’s been mediocre in reality. Gray was mediocre in college and Heard was pretty bad in college. So while he can grab the big shiny recruit his evaluation might be off.

Now his time at Houston. There is no reason why Houston should not be competing with UCF/USF for top of recruiting in aac. Yet under White here is where they finished: 69 National (4th in aac), 73rd(5 in aac), 72nd(6 in aac).

So he’s been a pretty poor recruiter and evaluator of talent. Now that can charge, but I just found it interesting.

Advertisement
Maybe we need a positions coach to kill on recruiting trail.

How many Florida guys again? He’s a legend in Texas football. Kids look up to him and coaches love him. Yeah not hard to recruit with those credentials. Down here a whole other ball game.

Advertisement
I seriously wouldn't look too far into this. Recruiting isn't exactly about ONE guy, and we all know Houston isn't an elite program.

That said, I'd reiterate above from @TheEye, I want to see some superstar recruiters as position coaches.
Yes, but one can argue he’s a pretty bad evaluator which is what Miami needs

People wanted a big time recruiter for an oc along with a prolific offensive mind. Well then let’s look at Applewhite. Now first let’s look at what he did at UT.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Major-Applewhite-49/AllTimeRecruits/

Pretty good list right? Well it’s been mediocre in reality. Gray was mediocre in college and Heard was pretty bad in college. So while he can grab the big shiny recruit his evaluation might be off.

Now his time at Houston. There is no reason why Houston should not be competing with UCF/USF for top of recruiting in aac. Yet under White here is where they finished: 69 National (4th in aac), 73rd(5 in aac), 72nd(6 in aac).

So he’s been a pretty poor recruiter and evaluator of talent. Now that can charge, but I just found it interesting.
So here's the thing with that...he just needs to help ge et the QB position back up to par....let Manny worry about rankings....**** we had Jon Richt recruiting for us...i'm sure a former head coach can do just as good or better than the trash we had before

one can argue that the head coach has the ultimate say on who they recruit and applewhite was just doing his job in getting the kid. do you think he evaluated those defensive ends on the list?

Advertisement

Not sure where or why Miami needs an "evaluator," and especially just one. Get South Florida guys. It's not hard to tell if they can play or not.

Need good evals at QB and OL. Rest of the positions you look at 1) does he pass the eye test? 2) Does he have the right character/attitude (work ethic, dedication, lack of selfishness, etc)? 3) Will he qualify and graduate?

To be honest, I’m not so sure Applewhite gets to fill out the entire offensive staff on his own without input and approval from Manny. I’m hoping he’ll get some ace recruiter to pair with whatever recruiting deficiencies Applewhite may have.. People keep pointing to the fact that Manny is a cerebral and analytical guy. Using that logic, I think Manny’s going to assess his hires strengths and weakness and hire/plan accordingly. I’m ready to have faith in Manny’s moves until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Our recruiting will be average with the staff we are putting in place. We have to hope our coaching schemes win us ballgames. I’m thinking top 15-20 range is where we will be most years in recruiting.

To be honest, I’m not so sure Applewhite gets to fill out the entire offensive staff on his own with input and approval from Manny. I’m hoping he’ll get some ace recruiter to pair with whatever recruiting deficiencies Applewhite may have.. People keep pointing to the fact that Manny is a cerebral and analytical guy. Using that logic, I think Manny’s going to assess his hires strengths and weakness and hire/plan accordingly. I’m ready to have faith in Manny’s moves until proven otherwise.

And this is the big difference between landing Fedora and landing Applewhite. Fedora would have demanded the autonomy to pick his squad. Believe me he would’ve. With Major Manny can dictate where he wants him to go (Seider, Trooper, whomever). I’ll take that along with probably 3-4 years with him of success instead of two max with Fedora.

Last edited:
I don’t necessarily agree Gray was a misevaluaion. His high school tape is in friggin credible

Advertisement
I don't think Applewhite is a poor recruiter but we do need to fill out the rest of the staff with some killers on the trail. We already know the defensive guys aren't incredible recruiters.

He'll help us recruit the houston area and the rest of Texas, that can only help us.

Advertisement
Back