Apparently we have no shot at beating Nebraska...

In normal times a team as talented as we are should beat this Nebraska team.

These are not normal times.

Advertisement
I wonder how that home field advantage help them against Iowa? Stadiums are nothing more than a place that holds people. And, we may lose on Saturday, we are the underdogs in the game, but you don't ****, and you saying it doesn't make it true.

Bull****. If you were a UM fan during the '80s - early 2000s, you would realize that the Orange Bowl was a huge advantage. In big games the noise was beyond deafening, and Little Havana and the decrepit condition of the stadium intimidated the **** out of opposing players and fans. The place was electric, and created a decided advantage for the Canes.

That stadium played a role in our record 58 game winning streak, which included huge games against top-ranked teams, including national championship bowl games.

It was an awesome stadium for the phins as well. Doggie hawser did a good write up on it as well. The data is there.

Both the Fins and the Canes have suffered unbelievably bad with the move to Son Lifeless. Historically bad. The stadium literally takes away home advantage and turns it into a negative. Cant be a coincidence for both teams.

Why was Miami so terrible prior to 1983? They were playing in the Orange Bowl all those years.

The common thread of why Miami and the Dolphins have been bad since being in Sunlife is they have both had terrible coaches during that time.

Poor coaching is why Miami has suffered, has nothing to do with the Orange Bowl. Do you think Golden, Shannon and Coker become better coaches if they played their home games in the Orange Bowl? Of course not.

Of course you need players and quality coaching, but that does not equate to a deafeningly loud stadium not helping the home team.

A hostile environment can wreak havoc on a visiting offense, causing miscommunication, false starts, and lighting a fire under the defense. This happened regularly in big games in the Orange Bowl. it's virtually nonexistent in Sun Life.

We won 58 in a row at the OB, first and foremost, because we were the best team in the nation for most of those 10 years. The second reason was the OB and the fans itself. The OB was loud. It was louder with 45-50,000 than some stadiums with 80,000. When the Dolphins beat the Bears in '85, Steve Fuller (the Bears QB) had to cry to the ref that he couldn't hear, and the ref had to ask the crowd to quiet down. He did this 4-5 times when the Bears were in the WEZ. It happened all the time when the Canes were playing too.

Doak Campbell isn't that loud with 85,000 because of the way it's constructed. Michigan lets the sound escape as does the Rose Bowl. Clemson is loud as **** with 80,000. Nebraska, with 85 or 90,000 or whatever they have, isn't that loud for two reasons. One, their fans, while loyal and great, are not overly rowdy. Second, the stadium is not constructed in a way to trap the sound in.

Last edited:
The argument isn’t about the stats; numbers are what they are.

The argument is:
A) Do you hope for Miami to beat Nebraska, (and others), so that the U is showing signs of getting better? If you hope for this than you also have to accept that the coaching staff will stay in place. You also might have to admit you are wrong (if you are a “mope”) on an internet message board. You still can **** about the coaches and wish things would change when they lose.

B) Or, do you hope that Miami loses because you assume the coaches will be fired and then, and only then, things will improve? I suppose this hinges on the idea that the next coach will be a dynamite recruiter who coaches with passion and is able to bring the U back to national prominence. The biggest potential down side is you don’t know who the next coach will be. You don’t care about the short term impact on recruiting because you figure anyone, including Donald Duck, is better than “Folden”.

Frankly, the most likely outcome, given Golden’s long term contract and media presence, is that the U will muddle on and finish on the fringes of national relevance (7-5) and no one will be happy. Except for Pete because that will drive traffic to the site (see above argument) and canesinsight will be selling more ad space.

Me, I know the stats are crap and I hate the prospect of mediocrity. I root for the U no matter what mostly because these are JUST kids with pretty simple dreams; they just want to win. I also look at how many freshman are playing key role key roles (Kayaa, Berrios, Jenkins, Yearby etc) and think we should see steady improvement no matter what others opine about the coaching.

Bottom line I’d rather have hope vs rooting for them to lose just so Golden gets canned.

Interesting how this post has gone so un-noticed. Pretty much spot on. The guys that want us to lose truly would rather pump their chest to be right then see this staff actually put it together and win. I just put too much ****ing time in to following this team, via message boards like this one, than to worry about being right and hoping this team loses a bunch of games. If we lose, the rest will take care of itself. I am sure between the outrage on Twitter by ex players, the local media and the administration that if we continue to lose games like this one, this staff will be gone...
I can assure you in my case it has nothing to do with beating my chest about being right about Folden. There were guys who gave up on him after the first play of the Maryland game looking to cement their spot as the first to call it on Folden being a bum. They win the "I called it first" sweepstakes.

Believe it or not, Foldenites, some of us actually want your hero fired because we know he sucks and he's dragging the program into the trough with him and his pig face. We want him out because we won't win with him no matter how much you disciples chant and hope and cross your fingers.

OK, I will try…

The question is NOT do you want Golden/Folden to be Miami’s Head Coach. Lets just assume for sake of argument we all want him gone.

The question IS; do you want, do you hope, Miami wins vs. Nebraska this weekend? Furthermore do you hope Miami goes on to win the ACC Coastal and beats FSU along the way? I do! Do you?

(By voting yes to the question above you know that Golden will cement his place as Miami’s coach….do you still want them to win? )

We won 58 in a row at the OB, first and foremost, because we were the best team in the nation for most of those 10 years. The second reason was the OB and the fans itself. The OB was loud. It was louder with 45-50,000 than some stadiums with 80,000. When the Dolphins beat the Bears in '85, Steve Fuller (the Bears QB) had the cry to the ref that he couldn't hear, and the ref had to ask the crowd to quiet down. He did this 4-5 times when the Bears were in the WEZ. It happened all the time when the Canes were playing too.

Doak Campbell isn't that loud with 85,000 because of the way it's constructed. Michigan lets the sound escape as does the Rose Bowl. Clemson is loud as **** with 80,000. Nebraska, with 85 or 90,000 or whatever they have, isn't that loud for two reasons. One, their fans, while loyal and great, are not overly rowdy. Second, the stadium is not constructed in a way to trap the sound in.

FACT!

Advertisement
I wonder how that home field advantage help them against Iowa? Stadiums are nothing more than a place that holds people. And, we may lose on Saturday, we are the underdogs in the game, but you don't ****, and you saying it doesn't make it true.

Bull****. If you were a UM fan during the '80s - early 2000s, you would realize that the Orange Bowl was a huge advantage. In big games the noise was beyond deafening, and Little Havana and the decrepit condition of the stadium intimidated the **** out of opposing players and fans. The place was electric, and created a decided advantage for the Canes.

That stadium played a role in our record 58 game winning streak, which included huge games against top-ranked teams, including national championship bowl games.

It was an awesome stadium for the phins as well. Doggie hawser did a good write up on it as well. The data is there.

Both the Fins and the Canes have suffered unbelievably bad with the move to Son Lifeless. Historically bad. The stadium literally takes away home advantage and turns it into a negative. Cant be a coincidence for both teams.

Why was Miami so terrible prior to 1983? They were playing in the Orange Bowl all those years.

The common thread of why Miami and the Dolphins have been bad since being in Sunlife is they have both had terrible coaches during that time.

Poor coaching is why Miami has suffered, has nothing to do with the Orange Bowl. Do you think Golden, Shannon and Coker become better coaches if they played their home games in the Orange Bowl? Of course not.

The data doesn't lie. It was an advantage. Obviously you need the players and the coaching. In close games the OB was a difference maker.

Stadiums don't win games. Nebraska has a distinct home field advantage Saturday. That doesn't mean they can't lose or that the stadium wins games.

But, we will lose Saturday.

The '85 Bears only loss was in the Orange Bowl. It's laughable that people claim a true home field advantage doesn't matter.

I have literally never heard anyone say that home field advantage doesn't matter.

The '85 Bears only loss was in the Orange Bowl. It's laughable that people claim a true home field advantage doesn't matter.

I have literally never heard anyone say that home field advantage doesn't matter.

I thought, rule of thumb (Vegas), it was worth at least a FG.

The argument is:
A) Do you hope for Miami to beat Nebraska, (and others), so that the U is showing signs of getting better? If you hope for this than you also have to accept that the coaching staff will stay in place. You also might have to admit you are wrong (if you are a “mope”) on an internet message board. You still can **** about the coaches and wish things would change when they lose.

B) Or, do you hope that Miami loses because you assume the coaches will be fired and then, and only then, things will improve? I suppose this hinges on the idea that the next coach will be a dynamite recruiter who coaches with passion and is able to bring the U back to national prominence. The biggest potential down side is you don’t know who the next coach will be. You don’t care about the short term impact on recruiting because you figure anyone, including Donald Duck, is better than “Folden”.

Frankly, the most likely outcome, given Golden’s long term contract and media presence, is that the U will muddle on and finish on the fringes of national relevance (7-5) and no one will be happy. Except for Pete because that will drive traffic to the site (see above argument) and canesinsight will be selling more ad space.

Me, I know the stats are crap and I hate the prospect of mediocrity. I root for the U no matter what mostly because these are JUST kids with pretty simple dreams; they just want to win. I also look at how many freshman are playing key role key roles (Kayaa, Berrios, Jenkins, Yearby etc) and think we should see steady improvement no matter what others opine about the coaching.

Bottom line I’d rather have hope vs rooting for them to lose just so Golden gets canned.

Interesting how this post has gone so un-noticed. Pretty much spot on. The guys that want us to lose truly would rather pump their chest to be right then see this staff actually put it together and win. I just put too much ****ing time in to following this team, via message boards like this one, than to worry about being right and hoping this team loses a bunch of games. If we lose, the rest will take care of itself. I am sure between the outrage on Twitter by ex players, the local media and the administration that if we continue to lose games like this one, this staff will be gone...
I can assure you in my case it has nothing to do with beating my chest about being right about Folden. There were guys who gave up on him after the first play of the Maryland game looking to cement their spot as the first to call it on Folden being a bum. They win the "I called it first" sweepstakes.

Believe it or not, Foldenites, some of us actually want your hero fired because we know he sucks and he's dragging the program into the trough with him and his pig face. We want him out because we won't win with him no matter how much you disciples chant and hope and cross your fingers.

OK, I will try…

The question is NOT do you want Golden/Folden to be Miami’s Head Coach. Lets just assume for sake of argument we all want him gone.

The question IS; do you want, do you hope, Miami wins vs. Nebraska this weekend? Furthermore do you hope Miami goes on to win the ACC Coastal and beats FSU along the way? I do! Do you?

(By voting yes to the question above you know that Golden will cement his place as Miami’s coach….do you still want them to win? )

What is the old saying... wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up first.

Advertisement
Pulled these stats from a thread on Canesport... not sure how accurate they are so take it for what it's worth...

- In 29 different occurences since 1960, opponents starting a TRUE Freshman QB in Lincoln vs. Nebraska are 0-29, and have only kept the margin of victory under 10 points once....

- In 35 night games, at home in Lincoln vs. Non Ranked Opponents, Nebraska is 36-0 since they first added lights in 1987. Nebraska has only lost ONE game, 36-1 all time vs. a team ranked outside the top 10.

- Nebraska has only lost 6 games total at home, under the lights, and 4 of those 6 losses came to teams ranked #1.

- The 2014 Miami Hurricanes are converting 23% on 3rd down

- The Miami Hurricanes have lost 22 straight road games vs ranked opponents.

- In Miami's last three Non Con trips to the Central Time Zone they've lost by an average of 51 - 17.

Go canes?

Freshmen were not allowed to play varsity football from about 1950 to 1972 (years are approximate), so your stats may be accurate, but only since 1974 or so , not 1960. Regardless, it is an uphill climb for a number of reasons.

Go Canes!

OP is right. No shot UM wins on Saturday night. Just accept it fellas

Bull****. This isn't a true-blue, sunshine pumper, loyal fan vs mope squad thing. Truth is that this game is a lock of a win. Nebraska is absolutely terrible, corched by a corch worser than ours. No ******* way we lose. Seriously, even GuldRen can't **** this one up.

OP is right. No shot UM wins on Saturday night. Just accept it fellas

Bull****. This isn't a true-blue, sunshine pumper, loyal fan vs mope squad thing. Truth is that this game is a lock of a win. Nebraska is absolutely terrible, corched by a corch worser than ours. No ******* way we lose. Seriously, even GuldRen can't **** this one up.

Look at the Neb highlights in Dan's post. I can't conceive how Gadbois and/or Isidora will keep their stud DE from camping out in our backfield all game.

Advertisement

The argument is:

OK, I will try…

I want this to be like Kiffins last game at USC. Fired at the end of the blow out and left at the airport in Nebraska.

Hoping for the best, bracing for the worst! As usual.

10537472_1477933529126626_9165425583393908927_o.jpg

The argument is:

OK, I will try…

I want this to be like Kiffins last game at USC. Fired at the end of the blow out and left at the airport in Nebraska.

If we get blown out, I would be completely ok with that. I think if your team quits on you then you should lose your job as a coach. Getting the players to play "for you" is the single most important thing a coach can do in my opinion. Get them to be willing to run through a wall for you.... If you can't do that and the players continue to quit on you (RAB) then you should go. However, I see just enough good in this staff that if they can get these kids to buy in, and have success, then I am ok with the staff staying. Its that simple. Its not like a NC will protect a 'good coach' who is all of the sudden not looking so good (COKER). So a coach is never completely a sacred cow. I truly believe that barring an ACC championship there will at the very least be some staff changes... Less than an appearance in that game will result in a full overhaul. So I will root for the players, and the team and let the RESULTS of the game, not my biased opinion, determine the fate of the staff.

Advertisement
did not need to google all that..

night game, ranked team, prime time

that says it..

2-3 TD loss is what the stats and history says..
lets see what are so called U tough boys and leaders say on Sat Pm

History says we dominate.

Recent history is a bad dream.

Advertisement
Back