Anyone watching the IMG v Bishop Sycamore (OH) game?

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is a Netflix doc or 30 for 30 in the making. Feel bad for the kids there with the best of intentions but ****, this is just effing incredible. This coach clearly has some kind of pathological lying disorder and there’s obviously some level of scam going on. But my guess would be he’s one of those rare breeds that can just make some elaborate nonsense up and not only convince others of it, but believe it himself. 100% going to jail. This is the Fyrefest version of Friday night lights and I can’t wait for the excellent journalists to get to the absolute bottom of this.

969A43A4-6EAE-44F7-9CEC-ABD827C4D851.jpeg

From Ohio. Never even heard of Bishop Sycamore. They just build the school this year? ******* hilarious ESPN didn't do some background
Bishop Sycamore of Ohio is in Texas. See the above post. It's a duplex, so I don't know where they're practice field is.

Advertisement
Whatever happened to that street agent in Miami who was giving us so much trouble about three or four years ago? He was taking south Florida kids to tour SEC schools, he set up his own high school in a strip mall somewhere in the Miami area....and he looked like Beetle Juice from the Howard Stern show.

As far as this Bishop Sycamore, I suspect the kids actually have to pay a fee to participate and for the uniforms and to travel to the games. The head coach probably sells them on the idea he will get them exposure for scholarships and eventually, "The League." Desperate and naive, the kids probably pony up the money.

This was the kind of thing that 1980's Superstar Recruiting Guru Max Emfinger ended up doing in the 1990's and 2000's. He gave up his recruiting newsletter, moved to Louisiana, and started a service that marked marginal HS football players to all kinds of colleges. He once set up an All-American Game in Louisiana, and kids paid deposits to come, then the game didn't take place.

I remember looking at Emfinger's database of players he was trying to market to colleges, or so he said. Their were tons of kid all over Florida. I knew the names of many of the better recruits around Florida that year and these were kids that were considerably below the D1 level. Just a lot of poor, desperate and naive also-rans, ordinary kid that played Florida HS football but were not college material. These were often among the poorer kids and he was just exploiting them.

EDIT: The street agent who looked like Beetle Juice was Genron. I haven't heard anything about him in ages. Hope I never do again. He set up his own fake HS in a shopping center.

This story would be more funny if it weren't unique. These type of outfits pop up all over the country.

A friend of mine coached basketball at a "prep" school that operated out of a warehouse/repurposed crossfit gym that had over age AAU guys. Total sham. There are far more of these than most of you think.

This story would be more funny if it weren't unique. These type of outfits pop up all over the country.

A friend of mine coached basketball at a "prep" school that operated out of a warehouse/repurposed crossfit gym that had over age AAU guys. Total sham. There are far more of these than most of you think.

Yep they are called diploma mills... Up here in Jersey they used to pop up every other year for a span of 10 years. NJSIAA stomped that **** out. Some of the Non Publics up here weren't even trying to hide it. Basketball was a cesspool.

JC

Advertisement
Whatever happened to that street agent in Miami who was giving us so much trouble about three or four years ago? He was taking south Florida kids to tour SEC schools, he set up his own high school in a strip mall somewhere in the Miami area....and he looked like Beetle Juice from the Howard Stern show.

As far as this Bishop Sycamore, I suspect the kids actually have to pay a fee to participate and for the uniforms and to travel to the games. The head coach probably sells them on the idea he will get them exposure for scholarships and eventually, "The League." Desperate and naive, the kids probably pony up the money.

This was the kind of thing that 1980's Superstar Recruiting Guru Max Emfinger ended up doing in the 1990's and 2000's. He gave up his recruiting newsletter, moved to Louisiana, and started a service that marked marginal HS football players to all kinds of colleges. He once set up an All-American Game in Louisiana, and kids paid deposits to come, then the game didn't take place.

I remember looking at Emfinger's database of players he was trying to market to colleges, or so he said. Their were tons of kid all over Florida. I knew the names of many of the better recruits around Florida that year and these were kids that were considerably below the D1 level. Just a lot of poor, desperate and naive also-rans, ordinary kid that played Florida HS football but were not college material. These were often among the poorer kids and he was just exploiting them.

EDIT: The street agent who looked like Beetle Juice was Genron. I haven't heard anything about him in ages. Hope I never do again. He set up his own fake HS in a shopping center.
There's hella street agents in South Florida lol, but "strip mall school" I think you're talking about Antron Wright lol. He had a diploma mill in Cutler Ridge Mall getting guys with 0.7 GPAs into college

I mean they have like a whole staff dedicated to HS recruiting…. None of them could say “I’ve never heard of this school ain’t no way that could be real”

I mean if you even follow recruiting casually you learn power house high school programs quickly due to the consistency that they send kids D1
Right? I would expect to see them playing St. X, St. Ed's, Colerain, Elder, Moeller, McKinley, etc

Advertisement
Awful Announcing has some good articles on the situation so far, including an interview with a parent of a former player. It's crazy. I see a lot of blame going around, deservedly so. However, I don't see enough people trashing IMG. This is the second time they played the school and apparently they knew aboutnsome.of these concerns. It's crazy they agree to this. IMG is part of the issue here.

Awful Announcing has some good articles on the situation so far, including an interview with a parent of a former player. It's crazy. I see a lot of blame going around, deservedly so. However, I don't see enough people trashing IMG. This is the second time they played the school and apparently they knew aboutnsome.of these concerns. It's crazy they agree to this. IMG is part of the issue here.

That was my point, too. IMG should know the program they're sending their kids to play against. A lot of their kids pay 80K+ a year to be on that team, not everyone is a 5-star with a full ride. They're as much of an embarrassment as ESPN.

Here's a link to IMG's fee schedule. https://www.imgacademy.com/sites/default/files/2021-22-football-year.pdf

They should send the parents back 10% of the tuition.

My cousin went to a private high school for “troubled” kids. It was just a place for suburban parents to send their stupid kids to that guaranteed a diploma as long as the tuition checks cleared. My cousin was barely literate and he got a high school diploma. He got a better education in prison than he did at that school.

Advertisement
Back