anyone seeing these jet-sweeps that Andy Reid...

The Pats have been running those recently too with Cooks and Dorsett.

I love them. Get playmakers the ball with a full head of steam.

Advertisement
With injuries to Walton and Richards, Richt will have to get creative if he wants to move the chains. That was an elite defense we faced, but we also played some of the worst first half offense I’ve ever seen.

Cant have long lulls in offensive output.

yeah, for as much as we hated how the defense broke down late, they had to play a ton of plays the first half with all those 3-and-out's in the first half. It put a lot of pressure on that unit. But till the Oline is up to snuff(and hopefully recruiting will take care of that down the line) and they can consistently get some push upfront in the run game, I get the sense there will be some offensive lulls

With injuries to Walton and Richards, Richt will have to get creative if he wants to move the chains. That was an elite defense we faced, but we also played some of the worst first half offense I’ve ever seen.

Cant have long lulls in offensive output.

Its tough to lineup against elite Ds and just out execute them. Its hard to win all those individual battles. We actually did pretty well in the 2nd half of doing that, especially Berrios and Rozier made a lot of tight window those. Look at Richards, who is elite. His 2 long catches were both against zone, McFadden did a **** good job on him. The only play where we created a coverage break was the long play to Herndon in the 4th. I also thought the 4 WR set after the Berrios PR that created the Berrios TDs was a nice small wrinkle.

That's why I'm in favor of doing the small things to create mismatches. Move Richards around, put WRs in motion, jet sweeps, etc. Make the defense think, move their eys, create a little uncertainty. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be in Richt's gameplan, at least not yet. I wish he did because at this point we can't out talent defenses like Clemson and Bama.

Using the jet action to get 1 on 1s for our Oline would be huge. As we saw at the end of the game when it’s 5v5 they opened huge holes.

Advertisement
Lol yeah Andy Reid and his jet sweeps have really won so many super bowls bc no one can stop it.... oh wait nevermind

I don't believe Richt is going to change his offensive philosophy or scheme. The only thing I can hope for is that he does revert back to more hurry up and "fast break" principles he once used to keep the defense off balance.
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe he said that is the reason why he does not like motion because he wants everyone up at the line as fast as possible between plays and motion wastes time. Well, if that is the case we should see a higher tempo as the year progresses.

Coach Richt is the best OC Miami has had in over a decade

8 wins in a row, finally broke the streak, fans need to look for things to talk about, I'm with Richt100%, let's not forget Clappy, Radio and Folden. Appreciate Richt and what he has done for program, fans will be fans and have expertise and opinions, creates dialogue on the board.

Advertisement
Agree with [MENTION=96]DiegoCane[/MENTION] above. Richt has too much of an SEC mentality (and by that I basically mean Alabama and LSU, until recently). He wants to play big boy football and line up with superior talent and win on superior execution. The problem is, we don't yet have a stable of talent, particularly on the Oline, that allows us to play that style of football. I'm not against Richt's philosophy, per se, but as is often said on here regarding the defense: scheme must match talent.

E got the players to do this stuff... why Ritch doesn't call it is beyond me. Every other offense in college football has version of it

Reid is an offensive genius and Richt isn’t. Richt is a good coach but his offense is not very imaginative so I doubt we will see anything different than what we’ve already seen

Y'know, I dont disagree with this but there are a lot of teams at various levels of football that employ jet-sweeps on a consistent basis. I mean, it's not THAT difficult of a concept to employ

a motion to tick off a defense coverage isnt hard either but we dont do that either.

I would run at a minimum 2 jet sweeps for Jeff Thomas a game..not a play for Harley..but Jeff Thomas early in the game should be able to widen out the de's and olb just off the movement

Not only that, even when Richt puts Thomas is a favorable package (backfield alongside Walton), he wastes the play by flaring out Thomas to the flat. No wheel route, jet sweep, screen pass, etc.

Advertisement
Reid is an offensive genius and Richt isn’t. Richt is a good coach but his offense is not very imaginative so I doubt we will see anything different than what we’ve already seen

Y'know, I dont disagree with this but there are a lot of teams at various levels of football that employ jet-sweeps on a consistent basis. I mean, it's not THAT difficult of a concept to employ

I agree but Richt just doesn’t seem to employ much beside the basic RPO

Are we saying Richt can't see other football games and steal?

Coaching involves a lot of stealing

Richt said he watches Cutcliffe's offenses in the off-season and steals ideas from him. I'm sure there are others he looks at too.

Butch Davis's offenses had very little creativity either. Richt is more in line with the thinking that players, not plays, wins games. I think one of the reasons his lack of creativity is standing out to us at the moment is because we have no run game against quality opponents. At least not the kind of run game Richt is used to having.

Give the OL another year or two, get these '18 RB studs on campus, and I think we will start to see Richt's offense come together full swing. As of right now he's making do with what he has available, and doing a pretty **** good job all things considered.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2017 NCAA FOOTBALL S&P+ RATINGS

Advanced statistics have our offense ranked 17th. And they factor in opponents played, etc. etc.

The most impressive thing about Richt is his quarterback development. He's one of the best QB coaches in the country. We essentially have a baseball player playing quarterback, and at the moment he's on pace for 3000 yards and 30 touchdowns.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Richt has every bit of this in his playbook but you gotta trust the players to do it. Richt still doesnt trust the team to execute properly. That's why you dont see a bunch of reverses and motions.

I dont think he trust them to lineup and execute properly.

Richt seems like the type that doesnt take any chances and wont call what you dont perform well in practice

a motion to tick off a defense coverage isnt hard either but we dont do that either.

I would run at a minimum 2 jet sweeps for Jeff Thomas a game..not a play for Harley..but Jeff Thomas early in the game should be able to widen out the de's and olb just off the movement

Or a few bubble screens to guys like those two and Berrios to mitigate what isn't the strongest run game and let Rosier develop some early mojo and get get him going. And if we're going to go up-tempo(at times) those are really effective plays and relatively easy to execute...

We have run a few bubble screens to Thomas and Harley. They haven't gone anywhere.

Or a few bubble screens to guys like those two and Berrios to mitigate what isn't the strongest run game and let Rosier develop some early mojo and get get him going. And if we're going to go up-tempo(at times) those are really effective plays and relatively easy to execute...

We have run a few bubble screens to Thomas and Harley. They haven't gone anywhere.

Because its a dead giveaway and its stupid af. We put our fastest player in motion and the play is a dead giveaway. You leak your fastest player out to the flats and its a dead giveaway.

Add in the fact that these are freshman with a major case of jitters and dropsies and you get a coach reluctant to add in those wrinkles.

Thomas is afraid of contact. He isnt anywhere near decisive in his running. He runs like hes afraid to get hit.

Can't risk it.

Do you guys actually watch these games?

Advertisement
Back