Anyone see the story with J Phillips?...

I did my part..gave 3$ to a panhandler off Copans road
1580017935677.gif

But in all seriousness I saw this on twitter. Was awesome

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm proud of that young man. Wish there were more like him.

There's a misconception that the homeless are largely just a bunch of lazy asses and that's why they're there. Many have mental health problems. A lot are drug addicts whose lives have been taken over by their addiction. Some fell on hard times and never made it back up. A fair portion are veterans.

They are basically this countries overlooked and forgotten. There's former wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, and kids all living like this. Some say you can tell how great a country is by looking at their poorest citizens and I agree.

I have a drug addicted brother who just three short years ago was married and in a good place. It's been downhill ever since and prior to that he fought addiction for 15 years. Addiction won and when he's not in jail (now prison), he's on the streets. He's had all the help in the world and a couple hundred thousand spent on treatment through 18 years of this. Our family actually feels better when he's locked up as its a matter of time until he gets got if he stays doing what he's doing outside.

Anyhow, rant off. Just wanted to say, good looking out man. If you ever have some free time, volunteer at a shelter, soup kitchen, food bank, etc. There's some deserving souls struggling out there looking for help, not just a handout.

This is dope af. This is what being a human being looks like, folks. These are people just like us; some were dealt a bad hand in life, while others literally had no choice. Fellow feeling was showed here, and for a moment, gave these folks a reminder they are not forgotten, which is the greatest gift for them. (So many have shared w me on skid row)

This is dope af. This is what being a human being looks like, folks. These are people just like us; some were dealt a bad hand in life, while others literally had no choice. Fellow feeling was showed here, and for a moment, gave these folks a reminder they are not forgotten, which is the greatest gift for them. (So many have shared w me on skid row)

Skid row literally looks like it's a part of a 3rd world country, let alone one of the richest cities in the world. I've watched many documentaries on the homelessness crisis in L.A, and I hope that one day the city can provide it's citizens with access to affordable housing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Skid row literally looks like it's a part of a 3rd world country, let alone one of the richest cities in the world. I've watched many documentaries on the homelessness crisis in L.A. I hope that one day L.A can provide it's citizens with access to affordable housing.

Bruh; let me tell you, all those abandoned buildings in historic Downtown LA, when I was w/ this firm in the early 2000’s, we proposed we turn a section near skid row into housing for homeless. We mapped out location, requirements for stay, mental treatment facilities, etc., outline budget, funding, and the mutual benefits. It was my first encounter w political agendas.

City turned it down immediately. Y? B/c they were going to turn such buildings into lofts and USC housing....not immediately, but it happened like 8 yrs after our proposal. The results? The homeless kept being pushed further and further into square blocks, literally on top of each other. Some were pushed in to notorious gang territories, which made matters worst. USC General Hospital were dumping patients w mental disorders on skid row, worsening conditions. The few facilities that were trying to help became so overwhelmed w not just homeless, but ppl w/ severe disorders, that many stop having open door policies due to safety.

Skid Row is a mess, and a lot of them have been taken advantage of b/c there is literally no place for them. My frat used to go there for community service, but stopped b/c it became too dangerous.

Bruh; let me tell you, all those abandoned buildings in historic Downtown LA, when I was w/ this firm in the early 2000’s, we proposed we turn a section near skid row into housing for homeless. We mapped out location, requirements for stay, mental treatment facilities, etc., outline budget, funding, and the mutual benefits. It was my first encounter w political agendas.

City turned it down immediately. Y? B/c they were going to turn such buildings into lofts and USC housing....not immediately, but it happened like 8 yrs after our proposal. The results? The homeless kept being pushed further and further into square blocks, literally on top of each other. Some were pushed in to notorious gang territories, which made matters worst. USC General Hospital were dumping patients w mental disorders on skid row, worsening conditions. The few facilities that were trying to help became so overwhelmed w not just homeless, but ppl w/ severe disorders, that many stop having open door policies due to safety.

Skid Row is a mess, and a lot of them have been taken advantage of b/c there is literally no place for them. My frat used to go there for community service, but stopped b/c it became too dangerous.

That's sad man. Govt. bureaucracy is one thing, but it's also the fact that since 2010 avg rent prices in L.A have outpaced wages by close to 35%. As a result you have many people who are homeless that actually have college degrees. These are people who are well positioned to be contributing members in society but instead are forced to live out of their car. They showed one example of a phd student @ UCLA who had to do that. The people in the hills & valley have to understand that the homelessness crisis is going to affect them sooner or later, and instead of going to their local municipalities and voting against affordable housing projects, they should be for it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Imagine if everybody cared for each other this world would be a magical place to live. Unfortunately Greed, Religion, and Drugs are what is tearing this world apart. :(

not religion and drugs. Selfishness weaponizes these things and much more.

Advertisement
Back