Anyone see some karma heading fsu's way?

Advertisement
Gonna be a bad storm. Anyone thinking of riding it out may want to reconsider. If it isn’t too late already. Hope everyone stays safe up there.

yep, looks like the eye is going right over my house. Sent the wife and kids out of town.

im about 5 miles from the coast and about 1/4 mile from the bay. I got the wife and kids out yesterday, but I stuck around to start clean up and helping my neighbors once it passed. When I made my decision it was only going to be a strong 2 maybe 3, but it has hit a 4 now. Thinking my decision has comeback to bite me in the ***. Lived here in Panama City Beach my whole life, but I’m thinking this is going to be like nothing we ever seen before. Never been really nervous about these, but this ones got me a bit shaken. Praying for a good outcome.
Praying for you dude... stay as safe as you can. I hope the area is somehow spared major damage. I love the Panama City area. God be with you.

Storm surge doesn't care what category a hurricane is. It can be just as bad for a 1 as it is for a 5 depending on what it hits. The area east of Panama City is supposed to get between 9-13ft.

Generally the stronger the storm, the higher the surge. The surge is water being pushed on shore by the wind, which will be high in stronger storms and where ever the winds are coming on shore. In the gulf its compounded by the fact that you have a shallow continental shelf and there's land on three sides. The water has to go onto the shore.

Advertisement
yep, looks like the eye is going right over my house. Sent the wife and kids out of town.

im about 5 miles from the coast and about 1/4 mile from the bay. I got the wife and kids out yesterday, but I stuck around to start clean up and helping my neighbors once it passed. When I made my decision it was only going to be a strong 2 maybe 3, but it has hit a 4 now. Thinking my decision has comeback to bite me in the ***. Lived here in Panama City Beach my whole life, but I’m thinking this is going to be like nothing we ever seen before. Never been really nervous about these, but this ones got me a bit shaken. Praying for a good outcome.

Please tell me you're in a stilt home or have two stories. You're going to flood. You're too close to shore. The gulf has an extremely shallow continental shelf and you're surrounded by land on 3 sides. The water has to go on shore and its going to come up higher than if you were on the Atlantic.

Please tell me you're in a stilt home or have two stories. You're going to flood. You're too close to shore. The gulf has an extremely shallow continental shelf and you're surrounded by land on 3 sides. The water has to go on shore and its going to come up higher than if you were on the Atlantic.
No just a one story house, but they are calling for 6-9 feet surge here. If that holds up, I’m good. Our neighbor hood was built up pretty huh and my house sits up a bit as well. More worried about the winds where I’m at. Local is calling for 145 with possible 175 gust.

Advertisement
Don't want to make fun of that considering the a**hole Arky state fans were saying it was just a storm and no big deal

No just a one story house, but they are calling for 6-9 feet surge here. If that holds up, I’m good. Our neighbor hood was built up pretty huh and my house sits up a bit as well. More worried about the winds where I’m at. Local is calling for 145 with possible 175 gust.
Dude, we can safely assume that your house is of CBS construction.

Is your home a newer home? Having said that I don't think that area is high wind velocity zone like South Florida. Structures after Hurricane Andrew have to withstand Cat 5 winds down here.

Is your home a newer home? Having said that I don't think that area is high wind velocity zone like South Florida. Structures after Hurricane Andrew have to withstand Cat 5 winds down here.
That gulf area gets hit by more hurricanes than anywhere so I would think that the building codes are similar that close to the coast.

Advertisement
House was built in 02’ so we are at current code from what the local news is saying.

Advertisement
Don't want to make fun of that considering the a**hole Arky state fans were saying it was just a storm and no big deal

I said on page 1 to lock the thread realizing it was gonna get a lot stronger, now this is basically the official thread for it

it's approaching a category 5 now, 6 mph more and it'll be there

it's also slowing down which is even worse for the area

it's unreal how quick that thing strengthened, almost everyone assumed 120 mph'ish winds

Not funny at all! I believe their houses are not built to stand a major hurricane like we have here. Also I believe most of their houses are frame and not block like down here.

Not funny at all! I believe their houses are not built to stand a major hurricane like we have here. Also I believe most of their houses are frame and not block like down here.
With a hurricane like this not having CBS construction is really bad... just look what happened at Country Walk after Andrew. Another weakness are roofs that are not "hip roofs". A lot of houses with CBS construction but with other than hip roofs lost their roof during Andrew because strong winds can up and lift roofs easier when not hip type.

God all mighty, the storm now has a pressure of 919 mbars. and 150 mph. Pray for these folks. Andrew had 922 and look what it did.

Advertisement
Back