Off-Topic Anyone into sports trading cards??

So you think it’s worth it even just PSA 9’s? Cheapest Tua PSA 10 is around $30-40 for a base card. PSA 9’s around $20-$30
It's worth if when you do it in bulk. It is one of the reasons I support just buying what you want instead of ripping packs and boxes. Let someone else do it, let someone else eat the charge, and you just go in and get what you want and everybody's happy.

Advertisement
My dad recently dug out the old box of mostly nfl cards, nothing crazy. Best card is 8 graded rookie Marino (~$100) and a bunch of other dolphins cards. It really has me itching at buying some boxes and packs of NFL cards.

Do you guys collect?
In 2002/2003 I purchased a guy's collection. I sold some stuff from it then-ish;) The majority of the collection wasnt touched. I made some nice coin selling off pieces. This was the best investment i ever made if ROI counts!

If you are getting back into cards, only buy boxes with guaranteed auto's in them. That would be my strategy.
I think graded cards are the bomb as well. I love BGS grading. PSA grading is number 1 now. BGS seems to grade cards a little bit more stringently than PSA. It could be worth buying a few BGS 8.5-9.0 and then safely cracking them open and sending them to PSA to be regraded.

I actually took PSA 10s and sent those to Beckett to be graded. While it certainly seems self serving for BGS in this scenario . . . I had a 1984 Fleer Update checklist psa 10 that BGS said was not authentic. I wanted the 1984 fleer update set in bgs 9.5 or higher.

You know that Nike Michael Jordan card? Its a bigger card. 20 years ago i would have given it away. When Jordan was on netflix, that **** card sold for $500.

It's worth if when you do it in bulk. It is one of the reasons I support just buying what you want instead of ripping packs and boxes. Let someone else do it, let someone else eat the charge, and you just go in and get what you want and everybody's happy.
But with a good eye and magnifying glass you can make some solid calls on grading cards. Fwiw I prefer BGS and would only buy PSA 10 at this time.

I guess I cleared out all the buyers I had saved on ebay. Only one I get listings from is cbiv1979, not sure what he has listed on Ebay now, might want to check him out. I know I got some really nice old Cane rookies from him a few years back. Lewis, Maryland, Brown etc.
imurcane will be back on ebay soon!

Advertisement
But with a good eye and magnifying glass you can make some solid calls on grading cards. Fwiw I prefer BGS and would only buy PSA 10 at this time.
Depends.

I think I said it in this thread previously...for me...anything pre-1998 is PSA for me. Once you start dealing with refractors and autos and limited edition cards...its BGS for me...and I think price reflects that out. But that is just me and my OCD and my interest in collecting is kind of narrow.

I used to collect them as a kid. Bought my first car (Jeep with super swampers and tear drop rims) from selling many of them. I kept the Marino, LT, Montana, Sanders rookies. I still have thousands of them. A lebron rookie, steph rookie. I was mostly into baseball card... and am a big Braves fan so I have tons of those as well. Like 20 rooks of every player back then Smolts Chipper Glavine Maddux. Pretty much every MLB rookie from 86-92. Once it went crazy I stopped. Didn't make any sense to me anymore. But I still have my Jordan rookie. Its not graded none of mine are. If I ever sell I will start that process.

Last edited:
I think graded cards are the bomb as well. I love BGS grading. PSA grading is number 1 now. BGS seems to grade cards a little bit more stringently than PSA. It could be worth buying a few BGS 8.5-9.0 and then safely cracking them open and sending them to PSA to be regraded.

BGS absolutely räped me on an order about six months ago.

I had sent it in late 2020. Took over a year to come back, but that was to be expected given the grading insanity that took place in early 2021. I wouldn’t have really minded as long as the grades were good.

I sent in 13 cards. I thought all of them had a chance to gem. Of the 13, only 2 of them popped a 9.5. Mostly 9’s, two 8.5’s and one 7.5. All because of poor surface subgrades. Beckett must’ve put them under the finest microscope known to man, because I don’t send in cards for grading that have visible surface blemishes.

Never using them again.

Ironically, one of the two that popped a 9.5 was one that I had originally sent into PSA and only got an 8. I then cracked it and subbed to BGS and it gemmed.

But as a whole, I’ve found that PSA is much more fair with grading than BGS.

Advertisement
I think I said it in this thread previously...for me...anything pre-1998 is PSA for me. Once you start dealing with refractors and autos and limited edition cards...its BGS for me...and I think price reflects that out.

I’m on eBay pretty frequently and I’m going to disagree with this.

A BGS 9.5 of any card - 90’s or now - very rarely outsells a PSA 10.

9D4C31D1-4F49-45CE-9BEB-EC18711AD7C6.jpeg

@nobeastofburden you think this is worth sending into PSA? Got on EBAY for $13. Seller said he thinks they messed up the grade because it’s the same as other PSA 10’s. Also don’t understand how the numbers at up to 8.8 but it got an 8 not an 8.5

View attachment 189649

Do you think this is worth sending into PSA? Got on EBAY for $13. Seller said he thinks they messed up the grade because it’s the same as other PSA 10’s. Also don’t understand how the numbers at up to 8.8 but it got an 8 not an 8.5

I’d need to see the back of the card, but the centering on the front is AT WORST an 8.5 to the naked eye. Definitely seems like they made a mistake there.

However, I would not send it into PSA.

That particular card even as a PSA 10 is only worth about $60. The minimum grading charge is now $30 if you have a PSA subscription, which means you’d barely break even after taxes and shipping. And that’s if it comes to a PSA 10, which doesn’t stand any chance of happening unless you crack it out. They’ll never cross a BGS 8 to a PSA 10.

As for the numeric formula that BGS uses, the lowest sub grade is the most heavily weighted in determining the overall grade. They don’t add up all the sub grades and just use the average for the final grade. It’s a weighted formula.

Last edited:
View attachment 189649

@nobeastofburden you think this is worth sending into PSA? Got on EBAY for $13. Seller said he thinks they messed up the grade because it’s the same as other PSA 10’s. Also don’t understand how the numbers at up to 8.8 but it got an 8 not an 8.5
I'm not even sure what they charge now. I was out of the country for quite a while, came back cards and pricing/grading had gone insane. I would have to compare that card to one that is graded higher, at least for the centering. Pretty hard to tell online, I personally probably would not send it in. More that I am iffy on Tua more than the card itself, ha. I got a fat stack of cards that need graded that I was going to send in before Covid happened, pricing tripled so now half of them might not be worth it. If you have a shop nearby, see what they think. Typically I'll consult with somebody that regularly sends cards off.

Edit, thanks NYSOM, wasn't sure what single card price was.

Advertisement
It’s $30 for the lowest tier but you need to first buy the “Collector’s Club” membership which is $99.

Without that, you can only submit at the $50+ levels.
Are they still months behind? I was going to submit through card shop owner about a year ago, told me the wait was insane and I am sure he had their top membership, huge part of his business.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back