Off-Topic Anyone into sports trading cards??

Advertisement
You don't buy boxes unless you're buying cases and trying to flip and make a business of it.

Spend your hard earned money and get what you want, already graded if possible.
Certainly agree with the overall sentiment of that statement, ripping packs open is just for fun for me though. It isn't a good strategy financially unless you happen to hit some monster 1 of 1 auto or something. Really only things boxes are good for is hoping you score some rookies that become studs down the line, even then you could still buy random rookie lots for much cheaper. The ridiculous pricing for getting cards graded now makes it nearly impossible to recoup money spent on boxes. I would never buy any card that isn't graded. Same way with coins, I only buy 70's, and only buy 10's with cards.

Certainly agree with the overall sentiment of that statement, ripping packs open is just for fun for me though. It isn't a good strategy financially unless you happen to hit some monster 1 of 1 auto or something. Really only things boxes are good for is hoping you score some rookies that become studs down the line, even then you could still buy random rookie lots for much cheaper. The ridiculous pricing for getting cards graded now makes it nearly impossible to recoup money spent on boxes. I would never buy any card that isn't graded. Same way with coins, I only buy 70's, and only buy 10's with cards.
I mean if you want to resell eventually I understand only buying PSA10 but if you just collect for fun there’s not point imo. I’m building a Tua collection but I’m only gunna get maybe one or two PSA10 just to have in the collection. Plus the more rare rookie cards are expensive af alone even if they aren’t graded. How much does it cost to grade a card anyway? $50? Does it depend on how fast you want it back from PSA?

To me, its wiser to just kind of monitor the market. Try and buy low on players...its not a secret either...if they suck early on IRL but you're a believer, try and scoop some up. Try not to get left with the hot potato, I suppose.

I stick with Hall of Famer rookie cards and can't say I've ever been disappointed with a purchase or left holding the bag...but I avoid 99% of the new stuff unless I'm trying to get in on some rookies that I think will be Hall of Famers. Still, I miss the boat on some...Mahomes for example, as a result.

I've been generally lucky...the few ungraded HoF rookies I've gotten on a whim ended up being hits after I got them graded.

AA469BB6-63CE-43D7-A117-1BC955D836C9.jpeg

Couldn’t help myself. Holland had a great rookie year and love how he plays. Product of Mario!

Advertisement
View attachment 184267

Couldn’t help myself. Holland had a great rookie year and love how he plays. Product of Mario!
Those are sweet looking cards. I always had a few people I bought from off ebay. They would message me before even listing. Get people to leave their email addy or business card in the package they send and then deal directly with them. Interestingly enough, had about 4 guys from S Florida I used to buy directly from.

I guess I cleared out all the buyers I had saved on ebay. Only one I get listings from is cbiv1979, not sure what he has listed on Ebay now, might want to check him out. I know I got some really nice old Cane rookies from him a few years back. Lewis, Maryland, Brown etc.

Advertisement
Not for the non graded...
I mean, IMO, non-graded cards are worthless...I think there is a real benefit, especially FOR value in the grading of cards, just like any other collectable. Pre-grading you were likely getting hosed on some sloppy af cards.

When I first got into graded cards, I sent all of my cards of value in to get graded...MOST...not all, but MOST were graded poorly...cards that had been in plastic since I got them.

I mean, IMO, non-graded cards are worthless...I think there is a real benefit, especially FOR value in the grading of cards, just like any other collectable. Pre-grading you were likely getting hosed on some sloppy af cards.

When I first got into graded cards, I sent all of my cards of value in to get graded...MOST...not all, but MOST were graded poorly...cards that had been in plastic since I got them.
Getting them graded is so pricey, how do people afford it? Iirc it’s $50 a pop isn’t it?

Advertisement
75F5E1EA-2D46-4160-8B65-4CB6B0DB1447.jpeg

As a Fins fan last draft class probably best we’ve had in a decade with all first 3 picks being huge hits. I’ve now got a little Waddle collection going along with auto Phillips and Holland

My old Marino cards worth anything?
Are they graded? You never know they could be. I would check eBay. But mostly just the rookie cards/graded are worth a good amount for old cards. I’ve got a 84’ Topps Marino PSA 8 that sells for about $150 on auction eBay

Advertisement
Are they graded? You never know they could be. I would check eBay. But mostly just the rookie cards/graded are worth a good amount for old cards. I’ve got a 84’ Topps Marino PSA 8 that sells for about $150 on auction eBay
What does PSA 8 mean? I remember when I was collecting Marino's Topps card was worth about $80. Sounds like it's not keeping up with inflation. Might have to sell my Duper cards!

That’s because they took your good ones and switched them out on you. 😉

So you think it’s worth it even just PSA 9’s? Cheapest Tua PSA 10 is around $30-40 for a base card. PSA 9’s around $20-$30

Advertisement
Back