Anybody Surprised by FSU's QB Depth (or Lack Thereof)?

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
I know we're in no position to criticize but I found it surprising that their #2 is a 3 star Jersey special that seemingly only had another offer from Buffalo (https://rivals.yahoo.com/ucla/football/recruiting/player-Sean-Maguire-119374) and the only other guy on the depth chart with any apparent potential is a true freshman from the Pittsburgh area. Even with Coker bolting I'm surprised they had to jump on our Jersey pipeline for someone nobody seems too impressed with.

Advertisement
Coker wasn't highly rated at the time, and John Franklin wasn't either.

Outside of Jameis, Jimbo is a better developer than recruiter (as I recall, Ponder and Manuel were both Bowden guys).

would anyone be surprised if the lowly recruited guy plays better tahn any UM qb in the last 10 years?

I would be surprised if the backup did anything against Clemson. They run a real defensive scheme.

This happens at a lot of schools. Our backups when Dorsey was here was Ethnic Sands and Derrick Crudup.

Quality QBs lined up in a row is a rare thing.

Advertisement
I know we're in no position to criticize but I found it surprising that their #2 is a 3 star Jersey special that seemingly only had another offer from Buffalo (https://rivals.yahoo.com/ucla/football/recruiting/player-Sean-Maguire-119374) and the only other guy on the depth chart with any apparent potential is a true freshman from the Pittsburgh area. Even with Coker bolting I'm surprised they had to jump on our Jersey pipeline for someone nobody seems too impressed with.

Jersey Pipeline...Yum!

sewage-waste-pipe-29021292.jpg

Actually, they've had their 2nd string QBs transfer each of the last 2 years. Trickett is the starter at WVU and Coker is at Bama.

Shocking they can't find a bunch of 5 star QB recruits who want to sit behind a Heisman trophy winning freshman.

Advertisement
Shocking they can't find a bunch of 5 star QB recruits who want to sit behind a Heisman trophy winning freshman.

They lead for the #1 QB in 2016 Malik Henry and have Elite 11 finalists 4* Deondre Francois and 3* DeAndre Johnson committed for 2015. They'll get theirs regardless with Jimbo being a QB whisperer.

They lead for the #1 QB in 2016 Malik Henry and have Elite 11 finalists 4* Deondre Francois and 3* DeAndre Johnson committed for 2015. They'll get theirs regardless with Jimbo being a QB whisperer.

They also have 4* Kai Locksley committed...

Come on man they just had 2 QBs transfer...one of them is killing it at West Virginia this year.
Why the **** do you think that have 3 highly touted Dual threat QBs already committed...

They're all fair points but at the end of the day they're still having to roll with a Jersey kid that seemingly wasn't even recruited by any other major programs- someone that if Alfred offered would probably result in major ridicule around here. As was mentioned, even though we rolled with Crudup behind Dorsey at least he was actually fairly highly touted coming out of high school (had several $EC offers and was a top 50 ranked Florida player) and even then we weren't that far removed from actually having a losing season as a program. My point is just that the defending NC might have their season riding on the arm of kid that (at least according to Rivals) was only also offered by Buffalo.

Advertisement

They also have 4* Kai Locksley committed...

The thread wasnt about who they have committed but their current depth. Rapist Winston is gone at the end of the year and the job will be wide open. Of course they are going to have big names committed.

They're all fair points but at the end of the day they're still having to roll with a Jersey kid that seemingly wasn't even recruited by any other major programs- someone that if Alfred offered would probably result in major ridicule around here. As was mentioned, even though we rolled with Crudup behind Dorsey at least he was actually fairly highly touted coming out of high school (had several $EC offers and was a top 50 ranked Florida player) and even then we weren't that far removed from actually having a losing season as a program. My point is just that the defending NC might have their season riding on the arm of kid that (at least according to Rivals) was only also offered by Buffalo.

Tad, Tad, Tad surely you know that any and all posts must be directed back at Miami in some disparaging manner.

Advertisement
They have Cosentino the freshman. He was pretty good prospect. And they have Johnson, Francois and Locksley committed for 15.

As for Henry in 2016, I don't expect him to go there, I'm thinking UCLA for him regardless if FSU leads right now.

Maybe they don't have amazing depth right now. But neither do we until Lawson and Allison get here.

Advertisement
Back