Anybody else loving the portal?

Yes. It's better than NFL free agency
Yeah because it’s an actual stud player going to a team usually to cement a missing piece… unlike the NFL where the jags, jets, or Washington who decides to overpay for dudes and watch them waste away

Advertisement
If you want fewer transfers have fewer scholarships. Reduce the total of 85 to 75, or even 70. This would disperse talent throughout CFB, from P5 to G5, and down to the FCS level.

NIL needs regulations at the national level, either from Congress or preferably from the schools themselves. Both options present problems, and the later might require treating the student-athlete as a employee, or perhaps independent contractor.

It would be great if any legal beagles on the boards could comment on the legal complexities of the NCAA or some other CFB governing body placing movement and NIL restrictions on players. Including player representation in determining these rules.

I support players being able to transfer to another school. 100%.

Coaches can leave without issue, buyout notwithstanding.
Coaches can ‘encourage’ players to leave the program, freeing up a scholarship for a new player.

There is no legitimate reason players should not be able to transfer to another program, assuming the player can find a suitor.
Every student in America can transfer to any school at any point in time if they can get in admissions why does it have to be illegal for athletes lol

Advertisement
It's too lose of guidelines...****, are there any guidelines to speak of when it comes to portal transfers and NIL? Structure has to put into place or CFB as we know it will dilute to a dozen schools or so.

I support players being able to transfer to another school. 100%.

Coaches can leave without issue, buyout notwithstanding.
Coaches can ‘encourage’ players to leave the program, freeing up a scholarship for a new player.

There is no legitimate reason players should not be able to transfer to another program, assuming the player can find a suitor.
Not only can coaches “encourage” players to leave, the school is under no obligation to renew their scholarship. If a coach/program really wants to get rid of a player, they can just kick him off the team and not renew his scholarship for the following academic year.

As long as the total number of scholarships is limited, the rich can only get so rich. For every player that an Alabama takes through the transfer portal, that’s one less scholarship available for a high school recruit. Also, any time a loaded team grabs a transfer with the intention of making him the starter, especially at quarterback, there’s going to a ripple effect through their roster and they’re likely to lose a quarterback to the portal because of it. Loaded programs have to be weary of signing high profile transfers because it will inevitably lead to guys already on the roster leaving.

Advertisement
Not only can coaches “encourage” players to leave, the school is under no obligation to renew their scholarship. If a coach/program really wants to get rid of a player, they can just kick him off the team and not renew his scholarship for the following academic year.
True, but I do not think all conferences have one-year renewable scholarships. Some enacted a multi-year scholarship, the length of eligibility.

Last edited:
i understand why people dislike the portal and NIL however when you have recruiting of HS players like last year when 50 out of top 100 HS recruits went to 5 schools your game (college Football)is in trouble... need to expand playoffs as well, will be hard to gain on UGA,TAMU & BAMA(ESPN TV contract) but talent needs to be spread out like NFL. UGA vs Bama might be 2 best teams but its same old same and viewership outside SE will not be strong.
ESPN paying 250M per season for playoffs will step in and push for expansion due to TV ratings

I'd love it a lot more if Miami had brought in about 3 DL, 2 LB, 2 CB, and a WR or 2 so far!
Manny would have already done so…they wouldn’t be the best ones in those positions nor would they be proper fits, but it would have been done already out of focus of popularity. Ad a fan, I liked that about him. The incompetence that I sued thereafter was the downer. I am hoping that Mario is already working on filling that wish list despite not being able to see us live in the Sun Bowl.

Advertisement
As long as the total number of scholarships is limited, the rich can only get so rich. For every player that an Alabama takes through the transfer portal, that’s one less scholarship available for a high school recruit. Also, any time a loaded team grabs a transfer with the intention of making him the starter, especially at quarterback, there’s going to a ripple effect through their roster and they’re likely to lose a quarterback to the portal because of it. Loaded programs have to be weary of signing high profile transfers because it will inevitably lead to guys already on the roster leaving.
Agree, this scenario might play out at UGA if they sign Caleb Williams. Their highly recruited QB who was waiting his turn might just bounce.

Lol I think it should be illegal to tell a student he can’t transfer to another school.

I could maybe understand a non compete where you can’t transfer to certain schools but only if it’s during the same season (from fall camp - your teams last game that season).

Otherwise If you’re a student who is unhappy at a university, you should have the right to transfer to whatever school you think will make you happy (**** the coaches, fans, teammates, admin).

Advertisement
i think that when NIL came into play colleges and the NCAA lost their ability to restrict movement by student athletes. How can they tell a kid no who could make $$$$ from a deal in Los Angeles or Miami from xferring there when that kid's HC just leapt ship for $10-$15M a year? Meanwhile the school the kid is at profits from the kid remaining/being held captive there????

Restraint of trade, unfair and hypocritical non-compete. I don't think courts would support that nor should they.

No, think it's awful for CFB. It does fit in with the immediate gratification and entitlement culture that has developed in this country. Too many kids are unwilling to work to earn a starting role, "what I'm not starting as a true freshman? ***** this I'm out of here."

Scholarships at the P5 level are guaranteed for 4 years now, a coach can't just kick a player off the team just because.

The only way a coach can pull a kid's scholarship at the P5 level, is if the player commits a crime or breaks a school rule etc., they can't pull a scholarship for athletic performance.

Advertisement
Back