Anybody else loving the portal?

No, think it's awful for CFB. It does fit in with the immediate gratification and entitlement culture that has developed in this country. Too many kids are unwilling to work to earn a starting role, "what I'm not starting as a true freshman? ***** this I'm out of here."

"Too many kids"? It was the adults/coaches that were bragging about it LOL. 15,000 kids entered the portal the year before, common sense would tell you that most of them had no choice. The adults made the rules, hold them accountable.

Advertisement
i understand why people dislike the portal and NIL however when you have recruiting of HS players like last year when 50 out of top 100 HS recruits went to 5 schools your game (college Football)is in trouble... need to expand playoffs as well, will be hard to gain on UGA,TAMU & BAMA(ESPN TV contract) but talent needs to be spread out like NFL. UGA vs Bama might be 2 best teams but its same old same and viewership outside SE will not be strong.
ESPN paying 250M per season for playoffs will step in and push for expansion due to TV ratings
I understand your position, but If talent is to be spread out like it is in the NFL, then the way the college game is ran financially, is gonna have to change. The first thing is getting rid of the sham of amateurism. The "Have Nots" of the P5 would need to be put on the same level as the "Haves", financially. The NCAA as we know it, will have to die and be buried. The can of worms that this opens up, is one that I don't think anyone in college athletics is really ready for (fans, boosters, coaches, nor administrators). You're gonna have to Pay these kids (NIL is a good start, but it doesn't go far enough). A Salary Cap placed on the P5 schools would also comes into play (That's how the NFL keeps things fair and make sure that free agents don't all go to big market teams). That would then mean kids signing contracts, instead of NLOI. This would be the only way to "guarantee" a kid will stay at said university for more than one year. If they do all of that, then the talent would spread out...... but I don't see that happening any time soon. The schools with the bigger bags, and shinier facilities will continue to attract the more higher profile kids. Welcome to 2022 Free Agency... NCAA style.

I'd love it a lot more if Miami had brought in about 3 DL, 2 LB, 2 CB, and a WR or 2 so far!
No OL? And, that's been the issue for 17 years; Miami thinks they can win without one.

Watch how much better those D positions play/look, if your Offense isn't going three and out all the time. If the Offense isn't leaving them the D out there on the field most of the game, and actually develops a running game that can sustain drives.

No, think it's awful for CFB. It does fit in with the immediate gratification and entitlement culture that has developed in this country. Too many kids are unwilling to work to earn a starting role, "what I'm not starting as a true freshman? ***** this I'm out of here."
by this logic, position coaches and coordinators should not be able to get new jobs and should work to earn a promotion. I don’t think it’s a good reason to transfer but a students dont need good reason to transfer.

I almost transferred my freshman year in 2015 bc I was kinda homesick. I talked to my parents and they said they’d support me but they thought I should stay at mizzou. Why should I (a student with a scholarship) be able to transfer without any issues but a football player shouldn’t?

I understand your position, but If talent is to be spread out like it is in the NFL, then the way the college game is ran financially, is gonna have to change. The first thing is getting rid of the sham of amateurism. The "Have Nots" of the P5 would need to be put on the same level as the "Haves", financially. The NCAA as we know it, will have to die and be buried. The can of worms that this opens up, is one that I don't think anyone in college athletics is really ready for (fans, boosters, coaches, nor administrators). You're gonna have to Pay these kids (NIL is a good start, but it doesn't go far enough). A Salary Cap placed on the P5 schools would also comes into play (That's how the NFL keeps things fair and make sure that free agents don't all go to big market teams). That would then mean kids signing contracts, instead of NLOI. This would be the only way to "guarantee" a kid will stay at said university for more than one year. If they do all of that, then the talent would spread out...... but I don't see that happening any time soon. The schools with the bigger bags, and shinier facilities will continue to attract the more higher profile kids. Welcome to 2022 Free Agency... NCAA style.

But Colleges are already paying these kids, it's called a scholarship. A scholarship is really income, but scholarship sounds better for public relations & the IRS. It's all word games Bro.

Advertisement
But Colleges are already paying these kids, it's called a scholarship. A scholarship is really income, but scholarship sounds better for public relations & the IRS. It's all word games Bro.
i actually agree with this ... idk if some realize that an athlete gets a FULL RIDE, tuition, housing, meal plan, books ... all other financial aid goes DIRECTLY IN THEIR POCKET ... all grants go DIRECTLY IN THEIR POCKET ... if they **** around and get bright futures or any other scholarship that goes DIRECTLY IN THEIR POCKET ... these are facts

Every student in America can transfer to any school at any point in time if they can get in admissions why does it have to be illegal for athletes lol
That’s what I don’t get with ANYBODY who feels like there should be anything done to change the portal or restrictions added.

Everyone should be entitled to make a decision that they feel is best for them. You say they are “unwilling to work to earn a starting role” but I doubt that tells the full story for a vast majority of transfers.

Advertisement
Is an NBA-style G League in college football's future, taking the better players into that sort of arrangement? What % of players are at a college only because there is currently no alternative, and would welcome not having to "bother" with classes and grades?

by this logic, position coaches and coordinators should not be able to get new jobs and should work to earn a promotion. I don’t think it’s a good reason to transfer but a students dont need good reason to transfer.

I almost transferred my freshman year in 2015 bc I was kinda homesick. I talked to my parents and they said they’d support me but they thought I should stay at mizzou. Why should I (a student with a scholarship) be able to transfer without any issues but a football player shouldn’t?
Big difference is the coach didn't get hired knowing that there were two, three or more coaches' with the same title there and that he would have to earn his position. I don't dislike it entirely, but I don't think the way it's happening is good for the game in the long run.

Illegal as in having to sit out a year. Also teams in the past have been able to ban schools to a kid transferring so they couldn’t go there
Banning certain schools is the same as a non compete which can be found in several careers.

Sitting out a year is a penalty, just like a buyout of a contract is. They’re not barred from being a part of the team that year, they just can’t play games. If they transferred for their own good, that shouldn’t be a big deal.

I like the old rules better in general, but there definitely could’ve been improvements made. I think that would’ve been better than the free for all we have now.

Advertisement
Banning certain schools is the same as a non compete which can be found in several careers.

Sitting out a year is a penalty, just like a buyout of a contract is. They’re not barred from being a part of the team that year, they just can’t play games. If they transferred for their own good, that shouldn’t be a big deal.

I like the old rules better in general, but there definitely could’ve been improvements made. I think that would’ve been better than the free for all we have now.
It’ll even itself out like all things when it’s new. I’m not worried about it. I personally believe it hurts the giants schools who over recruit more than it hurts the smaller schools. Should help distribute talent more evenly also with playoff expansion.

Agreed. The whole ‘entitlement culture’ critique is nonsense. People change jobs for a better situation all the time. Why is a student athlete subject to a different standard?

Besides, how many players transfer to another school after their freshman year?

Last edited:
Agreed, but you have to start somewhere , viewership on semi finals was down 2 miilion from last year. spreading out talent thru enlarging playoffs will help as players will choose between 10-15 schools rather than 4-6. UGA has 61 4-5 * players and Bama most likely the same amount. This will not magically happen overnight but it will balance out over time. Also the SEC TV contract will always give them have an edge think eventually only 60-75 schools will be playing in top conferences. we need to look at NIL as well as portal as it seems to be the wild, wild west at the moment. agree with Jimbo now NIL is above board rather than under the table. it will be minor league NFL prep in less than 15 years & you will have another division under that group
the NCAA is guilty of that old saying Pigs get fat, Hogs get slaughtered ! if they would have created super scholarships for revenue producing sports situation might not be as murky. NCAA is going the way of the dinosaur , so changes will be fast and furious.

Advertisement

But one side benefitted in your buyout example, sitting out a year doesn't benefit a kid nor does make it sense, no NCAA rule pertaining to athletes does.

Bro…. Scholarship is nothing compared to the money these kids kids generate for these schools….. Unless it’s a private school like Miami, where the cost of a degree is well into 6 figures.

I support players being able to transfer to another school. 100%.

Coaches can leave without issue, buyout notwithstanding.
Coaches can ‘encourage’ players to leave the program, freeing up a scholarship for a new player.

There is no legitimate reason players should not be able to transfer to another program, assuming the player can find a suitor.

What about professionals? Should they be able to go to any team they want and leave at any time? The coaches can.

If you want to sustain the health of any league there needs to be some form of competitive balance. If there’s not, the entire sport suffers.

If this heads in any more of the direction it’s going you’re going to have all time lows in attendance and ratings. Not saying this is really due to the portal, but really the attitude toward college athletics now where the players should be able to do anything they want. That doesn’t work when trying to maintain attractive sports viewership. You can’t know who’s going to win it all every year.

As long as the total number of scholarships is limited, the rich can only get so rich. For every player that an Alabama takes through the transfer portal, that’s one less scholarship available for a high school recruit. Also, any time a loaded team grabs a transfer with the intention of making him the starter, especially at quarterback, there’s going to a ripple effect through their roster and they’re likely to lose a quarterback to the portal because of it. Loaded programs have to be weary of signing high profile transfers because it will inevitably lead to guys already on the roster leaving.
An industrious group of boosters can put together NIL deals for Alabama walk ons. These deals would pay a similar rate to non premiere scholarship players at the Crimson Tide, but would be enhanced to cover the cost of tuition. Ergo, Alabama could add dozens of additional four star players. The only limitation would be how long you could lie to these players about eventual playing time.

Advertisement
Back